Multi-FX unit vs. pedalboard (for fx+volume etc. only)

• Thread starter p0ke
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Hi!

I've been considering getting a volume pedal, wah-pedal etc. for some time now, but at the same time it would seem more convenient to just have one big box with everything in it. I could also use the built in distortion and amp models etc. sometimes, so I wouldn't need to bring my halfstack with me for every 15 minute gig I play.
Anyway, the idea is that I would still mainly use the lead-channel of my Valveking for the tone, but use the fx-unit for wah and possibly some volume boosting and other effects I might use. Does this seem like a reasonable idea, or is buying a bunch of separate pedals and building a pedalboard the way to go?
Also, which fx-unit would be the best for the task? As far as I can tell, the Line6 HD-series pedals seem pretty robust, and my experiences with Line6 are mainly positive, but those toys are fairly expensive too.
I would prefer to have a massive rack with everything I can think of and have midi controller for it, but that's slightly out of my league at the moment :D So what do you guys think I should do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Going by what you like and what you're after i'd go for one of the floor POD's. The POD's always seem to get new updates and even tho you will be using just a handful of things at the start, trust me, you'll be using a LOT more than you thought you would lol. Plus in your case it would be better IMO to get a floor model anyways, if you go the rack route you have to buy a separate pedal to control it, so you might as well kill 2 with 1 and get the floor model that has all the controls at your feet. kills the need for a pedal/pedal board dude. Good luck!

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I've used both pedals and multi-FX units and each has their own strengths and weaknesses. The nice thing about a pedalboard is you control what gets used in a very simple way. With a multi-FX unit, you will spend a lot of time turning off effects within each preset because manufacturers love to show off what their gear can do, regardless if its useable or not!
If all you want is a volume pedal and a wah pedal, I would recommend you get two pedals. If you want a little bit of everything, I would recommend a multi-FX unit.:yesway:

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Ive used both at gigs. The individual pedals will typically sound better, but the best part of multieffects is being able to turn on/off multiple effects by switching patches. Individual pedals will have you tap dancing when you should be doing windmills and guitar faces

Promit

Reaction score
I've been trying to get an idea of how the HD500's effects compare to the various real pedals, particularly wah and drive. The trouble is that I haven't used any of the real pedals, and I'm still learning to dial in the POD's models. It works pretty well in 4cm, although balancing the levels is kind of a pain. I'm finding that I have to carefully tweak the Send and Return levels to get the board to do the right thing. But once that's done, it seems to be doing the job.

HD500s are down to around $300 used, and they might drop farther since it seems the new one is about to come out.

Reaction score
Depends on what you want to use it for. If you want a little bit of everything go for the multi-effects, if you just want to use a couple of effects, with your main tone coming from the amp, then buy separate units.
I've played through many multi-effects amd I can honestly say that they don't even sound close to the pedals they are emulating. Also getting single units would be a wiser investment because they can withstand decades of abuse

Pedantic

(Djent pun)
Reaction score
Go for the pedals because they typically sound better and you can easily change them out if you want a different sound. Pedals would give you more flexibility in the long run.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Typically individual pedals will give you a better sound because you can choose the exact one you want. A multifx processor might have all the drive sounds you want but have crappy chorus, for example. Having pedals is also handy in that you can just change settings on the fly like that, no sorting through menus on a tiny screen. That being said, if you're not so picky about your tone that EVERY tiny thing needs to be PERFECT, an HD500 will give you a very well rounded, solid sound that is most pleasing. :)

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Individual pedals will have you tap dancing when you should be doing windmills and guitar faces

That's one of the things I'm a little worried about with separate pedals.
At the moment though, buying separate pedals seems like a better idea, because that way I can buy one now and another one next month etc, I don't have to save up to get them. Also, the hd500 is waaaaay more expensive over here :D Besides, if I end up having a shitload of pedals, I could just get a midi controller for them ... ? Kinda defeats the purpose, but still.

you will be using just a handful of things at the start, trust me, you'll be using a LOT more than you thought you would lol.

Yep, that's another thing I was considering. I don't really NEED chorus for example, but I wouldn't mind having some on my clean channel to compensate for the crappy clean sound of my EMG's.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Alright so I've decided to go for separate pedals for now.

So, next question (should probably be in a thread of its' own, but w/e):

Are those Dimebag/Vai/Hammet/etc. signature wah-pedals any better than the regular ones? And in general, since I don't know much about these things, what to look for or to avoid? For example, is the Behringer HB-01 a total waste of 39€ or actually usable? Are Artec wah-pedals any better? They're in the same price range but look a bit more durable.

+ Same thing for volume pedals? I think I'm gonna get an Artec pedal, because it's the cheapest active volume pedal and it looks quite sturdy, but is it somehow considerably worse than something else, and do I actually need an active pedal?

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
The Dimebag wah is a fair bit better IMHO (unless you want to just be able to put your foot on the pedal and engage it. The Crybaby from Hell has an extended selectable range, variable Q, and an adjustable volume boost. Plus dual outputs giving you the option to have in and out on the left side, or to have two outputs that are either both effected by the wah or have 1 a dry output. Drop a brick on the thing and you might scuff the paint.

The other signature wahs:
  • Bonamassa has a wide range and you can choose true-bypass or buffered to reduce the high end a bit.
  • Buddy Guy has two voicings
  • Slash (signature not classic) has built in distortion
  • Cantrell has a 'darker' sound to the wah
  • the other signature pedals are either for looks only and/or have a custom range to them.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Honestly, I would just go with an Ernie Ball Jr. Volume Pedal and a Dunlop Crybaby of some variety. Volume and Wah pedals are really simple in design so I'm always suspicious of expensive, fancy, "boutique" versions of these pedals. I use an Ernie Ball Jr. Volume Pedal and a Dunlop 95Q Crybaby. If I had all the money in the world, I would use an Ernie Ball Jr. Volume Pedal and Dunlop 95Q Crybaby (or the rackmount Crybaby, but that gets complicated).

PS - The Bad Horsie is also a good wah which is also switchless. :yesway:

Mikeitloud

Reaction score
I just picked up an Ibanez weeping demon wah, extremely adjustable, it's also an auto wah, just put your foot on it and wah la! take your foot off and it's off. I always hated the button on my original cry-baby

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Are those Dimebag/Vai/Hammet/etc. signature wah-pedals any better than the regular ones? And in general, since I don't know much about these things, what to look for or to avoid? For example, is the Behringer HB-01 a total waste of 39€ or actually usable? Are Artec wah-pedals any better? They're in the same price range but look a bit more durable.

I've owned the Dimebag and Vai wahs and, yeah, they're awesome. At the time, the Vai wah was the only switchless wah. It was leaps and bounds better than my previous wah, the DOD FX-17. (Yes, I am super old). The Dimebag wah was outstanding. The flexibility, the gain boost, the different voicings, man, what a beast of a pedal. I still can't believe they sell for that price with all those features. If I was buying another wah, I'd look at that Jerry Cantrell one. That thing sounds as gorgeous as it looks and, straight up, Cantrell's wah use is probably the most musical implementation of the effect in the last 20 years, so if he's spec'd out a wah, that's going to be the good one. I've also thoroughly enjoyed the Ibanez Weeping Demon. Switchless and very flexible also. I've messed with the Behringer Hell-Babe in a music store. I wouldn't buy one for my 11 year old nephew. It's just not going to stand up to the abuse that a wah pedal goes through.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Thanks for the information! :)
Sounds like the Dimebag-wah might be something to consider. A switchless one would be ideal, so maybe the Weeping Demon is the way to go? It's a bit cheaper than the Dimebag too, but does it have any kind of boost?
I found a second hand Dimebag Wah for 100€ (+ might be able to get it for even a little less), so I'm seriously considering that one now.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
On the Weeping Demon, you can adjust the Level of the effect, which does act as a bit of a boost. The Weeping Demon was my last wah, replacing the Dimebag, which replaced the Bad Horsie, which replaced the FX-17. The Bad Horsie was with me the longest, over 10 years. It was an excellent pedal. I only rocked the Dimebag for about a year and, honestly, it was the toe switch that killed it for me. I just don't like 'em. The Demon had almost as good of a sound as the Dimebag, but was just that much more convenient for me. I had the Demon for about a year as well, eventually eschewing all pedals and amps for the Kemper, which has its own set of wah effects, many of them auto-activated. I'd recommend any of them, honestly. If you can live with a toe switch, the higher-end and signature Cry-Babies are really good sounding.

If you want something auto-activated with a boost, the Morley Tremonti Wah is something to look at. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/morley-mark-tremonti-wah-pedal

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Thanks for the information! :)
Sounds like the Dimebag-wah might be something to consider. A switchless one would be ideal, so maybe the Weeping Demon is the way to go? It's a bit cheaper than the Dimebag too, but does it have any kind of boost?
I found a second hand Dimebag Wah for 100€ (+ might be able to get it for even a little less), so I'm seriously considering that one now.

I would definitely consider the Crybaby 95Q. It's switchless, has a 15db gain boost, and adjustable Q for a wider sweep. It seems to fly under most people's radar and I'm not sure why. :scratch:

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I decided to take the plunge and ordered the Tremonti wah along with an Artec volume pedal :)
Thanks for all the suggestions and info guys!

')