Multi-NGDs = Petrucci Party!

• Thread starter ibanez4lifesz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4lifesz

@TheGuitarRack
Reaction score
Hello All,

I've been on a bit of a Petrucci kick recently. :) Amongst recent purchases, I ended up with a sequential set of anniversary models (JPXI, JP12, and JP13). This was too good to pass up - I called by best guitar buddy so we could jam, compare, and take some awesome photos.

There are many (accurate) thoughts out there about these JP models, but having them all together, I walked away with the following tonal comparison (seems unfair to compare feel since I have a mix of 6 and 7 string models). Note: These difference aren't huge - as you all know, the JPs are all of a very similar lineage.

- JPXI: The brightest/most forward of the bunch. Clarity of the guitar really lends itself to the 7 string design, and the bite/attack is fantastic for rhythm passages.
- JP12: A more balanced/smooth variant of the JPXI. Not quite as much bite/attack, but still a very clear guitar. I'd pick this one up as the more balanced 'solo' guitar over the JPXI.
- JP13: This guitar reminds me most of the original JP models (not a surprise given the wood combination). Again, a more balanced/smooth tone compared to the JPXI, however, the Illuminator pickups offer a more open/extended frequency response in this guitar.

Eye candy from the get together is below - we called it 'Petrucci Party'!

Finally, as a shameless plug, we put together a new page to more regularly share our passion for guitars and photography. For those that do Facebook/Instagram/Twitter, and would like some nice guitar photos in their feeds, we'd love to have you on board with a Like/Follow. There are MANY awesome guitars to come (because let's be honest - a guitar whore never stops getting guitars :p)

https://www.facebook.com/TheGuitarRack/
https://www.instagram.com/theguitarrack/
https://twitter.com/TheGuitarRack
https://www.flickr.com/photos/153558544@N04/albums

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4lifesz

@TheGuitarRack
Reaction score
You are really not living up to your username..

Jason - I gotta tell you, I have not lived up to that username for YEARS! ;) This would be more accurate - 'JustAboutEveryOtherHighEndGuitarEXCEPTIbanez4LifeSZ'. To be clear, it's not that I have anything against Ibanez - I've just really gotten into other guitars since I started on this forum!

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Jason - I gotta tell you, I have not lived up to that username for YEARS! ;) This would be more accurate - 'JustAboutEveryOtherHighEndGuitarEXCEPTIbanez4LifeSZ'. To be clear, it's not that I have anything against Ibanez - I've just really gotten into other guitars since I started on this forum!

I was also ibanez4lifesz circa 2008/2009, and now down to just 2 (with 1 for sale). But there's just something funny about juxtaposition of "ibanez4lifesz" and not one, but THREE JPs!? Haha

But yea, thought you were on to Mayones?

ibanez4lifesz

@TheGuitarRack
Reaction score
I was also ibanez4lifesz circa 2008/2009, and now down to just 2 (with 1 for sale). But there's just something funny about juxtaposition of "ibanez4lifesz" and not one, but THREE JPs!? Haha

But yea, thought you were on to Mayones?

PRS, Mayones, EBMM, Suhr - gotta keep them all around for the moods. :)

EarlWellington

Reaction score
I have the JPXI in 6 string and I'm surprised you say it's bright... I have the opposite problem; I'll like have to swap pickups as I find it quite muddy

ibanez4lifesz

@TheGuitarRack
Reaction score
I have the JPXI in 6 string and I'm surprised you say it's bright... I have the opposite problem; I'll like have to swap pickups as I find it quite muddy

I gotta say, since accepting the CL/LF pickups for what they are and dialing my tones accordingly, I haven't had any clarity issues with them at all. I know that is contrary to what most people's experiences are, but I would recommend trying a slightly different approach with them - I've had GREAT luck! :)

Last edited:

PBGas

Reaction score

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that because many of us do the same! Congrats on a beauty set! Well done!

Latest posts