Multi-scale vs standard scale

• Thread starter djkingcrab
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

djkingcrab

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked before, but...

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Aries, and I like the idea of the tighter tension of the multi-scale on the low strings, especially for drop tunings. But, I'm a pick up swapper and going multi-scale makes that very difficult/expensive.

Are the benefits of the multi-scale worth the lack of options in pickups?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Iamatlas

Atlas
Reaction score
You could always just have the pups rewound if you're not happy with the tone.
I would suggest not making that a limiting factor in your choice - Maybe the ergonomics and playability would be more of an issue because they're not able to be changed......

There are plenty of good pickup manufacturers out there who will rewind your pups to whatever spec you need.

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
Tension always gets brought up but it's important to clarify; The longer scale isn't for increased tension exactly. It allows you to achieve the same pitch with a smaller gauge because of the increased tension, resulting in a clearer tone. There's nothing stopping you increasing the tension on a standard scale with different gauges.
The same is to be said about the treble side - people will often say that a baritone/long scale without fanned frets is too tight on the treble side. Use thinner strings :) Again, the actual difference once strung to the correct desired tension will be in the tone. The trebles will be brighter.

So really it's a case of;
Can standard length straight scale achieve the tuning you want on the low end without needing a gauge too big that sounds too muddy?
If not, can a straight baritone scale achieve the clarity you want with a smaller gauge, without the trebles sounding too bright due to being too long?
If not, that's when you need multiscale. Though it always benefits tonal balance in general and playability in making stretches on the upper strings less :)

TLDR: I think too many people consider multiscale an important feature recently and sacrifice other features and/or quality to get this all important spec, without considering that a better thought out string set or a different guitar with a straight baritone scale may be better options. I've even seen people think multiscale 25-27 will be an upgrade over their 27 straight scale with regards to tension on the low string, because they aren't sure how it works and this tension thing gets tossed around so much.

I do love multiscale and highly recommend it, but something to think about!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
So really it's a case of;
Can standard length straight scale achieve the tuning you want on the low end without needing a gauge too big that sounds too muddy?
If not, can a straight baritone scale achieve the clarity you want with a smaller gauge, without the trebles sounding too bright due to being too long?
If not, that's when you need multiscale. Though it always benefits tonal balance in general and playability in making stretches on the upper strings less :)

What this user said is right on.

There is a benefit to having a more ergonomic approach from your wrist to the fretboard, but that's a difficult thing to characterize. I'm sure many of the more extreme span multiscale setups are less ergonomic than a standard static scale.

I switched to multiscale after trying out sevens at 647 mm and at 762 mm and decided I really wanted to low end of one with the top end of the other.

laxu

Reaction score
The way I see it, if you have more than 6 strings then you want multiscale. Otherwise it's a balancing act trying to get those lowest strings to sound good and not feel floppy. I haven't been happy with how those extra strings feel on any regular 7-strings while baritones are really more at home in lower tunings.

I own a Kiesel Aries AM7 and am pretty sold on the multiscale. It sounds huge but the Kiesel Lithiums do require a bit more messing with the EQ. The pickups themselves are fine and have good clarity but at least in mine they can use a bit of a boost in the low mids. Took me a bit more time figuring out how to get the best tones out of them than with my other guitars. I would probably not recommend an ash body with these pickups, the standard alder body of the Aries is most likely ideal.

I looked into replacing the pickups recently and at least Bare Knuckle Pickups and Seymour Duncan seem to be able to do it. It would require carving a little bit out of the pickup mounting holes as the tabs that are screwed in are round on the Lithiums instead of rounded corner like on most pickups. I decided to not go thru with it as I was able to get tones I enjoy by just messing with the Axe-Fx 2 which is the mother of all EQs anyway.

RuslanK

Reaction score
Try playing on multiscale guitars. Maybe you will not be satisfied.

')