Multiple Mid Controls

ParkerJLong

Reaction score
I have an ESP LTD B-416SM that I really love.
I usually set my controls to the following

Vol: Max
Blend: Bridge only (EMG DC)
Treb: Balanced (Boost/Cut, so I leave in the middle locked position)
Mid: 1/2 Boost (So I guess 3/4 all the way)
Bass: 1/2 Boost

Since I'm an obnoxious clanker and love my high mids without a buttload of treble, I want to have a mid frequency control so i can just get that small range in the boost without having to use my treble knob and get it with extra junk. HOWEVER, I also love the mid boost I currently use.

Has it been done/is it possible/how do you wire a bass to have multiple mid controls, so I can have not only the general mid boost that I already have, but also add ANOTHER mid control (concentric most likely) so I can affect different frequencies with a boost/cut and frequency selector?

Also, on the subject of modding my bass, are those locking inputs on the BTBs and Conklins worthwhile?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
Yeah, there are pre-amps with lo-mid and hi-mid. The Mike Pope Flexcore comes to mind.

Mike Pope Flexcore Preamps - Best Bass Gear

Mind yer wallet, though. It's a doozie.

The neutrik locking output jacks are nice, mostly because they are high-quality items, not prone to breaking or bending out of the way, the way Switchcraft jacks can do. The locking thing is cool if you find your bass won't stay plugged in and you're tired of having to crack open your electronics cavity to fix your switchcraft style jack.

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
yes and yes. There are several dual mid control preamps on the market and neutric jacks can be bought uber cheap on ebay both are excellent upgrades