Munky's solo with New Apex

• Thread starter PACK018
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

snowblind56

Reaction score
Huh, at first I read Munky and Solo in the same title and it made me chuckle a bit, but after watching it I'm a little surprised. It was rather tastefully done and not really "Korn-like".

shogunate

Reaction score
He has and I always liked Munky's playing better than Head's buuut it sounds like every other solo he's done, very few actual notes and tons of effects. Now every kid with a seven plays the same damn solo :wallbash:

GeoMantic

Reaction score
I really hate how a lot of guitar players will throw on the wah pedal to cover up sloppy playing. (Alex Lifeson, Kirk Hammet, Slash, and that kid at guitar center really come to mind.)

I enjoyed how the solo started, but as soon as he started trem picking and the deep scoop wah started I just felt like it was no different from anything I had heard before.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
^Alex Lifeson is in no way a sloppy player. I do, however, understand what yoou mean.

GeoMantic

Reaction score
^Alex Lifeson is in no way a sloppy player. I do, however, understand what yoou mean.

His early solo's sounded sloppy on the recordings, but I understand that it's his style.

He is absolutely a fantastic guitar player though, and they are amazing live.

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
i like the wah for riffing like tom morello, it even has its place in solos but when its excesive it becomes the every day wah solo and thats all you get from it.

ps. alex is the shit.

shaneroo

Oh, herrrrro......
Forum MVP
Reaction score
had to post on this one.......

fuck the haters..... munky is an amazing guitarist.... period.

i've quoted this before......
when i play a power-chord, it sounds like ______
when he plays the same power-chord, it sounds totally different.
we could be running through the same amps, guitars, gear, etc......
his biggest influence when he was younger was some guy named vai.....
i've heard some of his shit from his teenage years...... honestly not shabby, even in shred-style terms.......
things that make music...... feel, atmosphere, attitude, inflection, dynamics.... blah blah blah....
i promise you all this....

if you ever played next to munky, it would probably change your mindset. for good or for bad, whatever.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I've only seen Korn live once - Download 2009 - but at the end of the set Munky did a pretty impressive solo. Not only is it clear that he's a competent lead guitarist, but when you think of the thousands of bands his style of writing has influenced, he's most certainly a force to be reckoned with.

CodyMTS

jun jun jun
Reaction score
wahwahwahwahwahwahwahwahwahwahwahwahwahwahwahwahwahwahwahwahwahwahwahwahwah

Demiurge

Reaction score
It's interesting to see the striking difference in many cases between what someone is as a musician and what it is that their music presents. Then again, when you spend the earlier part of your career insisting in interviews that musical exploration is satisfied by how many effects pedals one can daisy-chain- indeed, heads will be turned when you start playing solos.

I would be more shocked, though, if I found that Jonathan Davis could read or write above a 4th-grade level. That would blow my mind.

noob_pwn

Reaction score
Fuck the haters

munky is one of the most inventive, unique and creative prominent guitarists from the last 20 years, what he did with korn was absolutely groundbreaking and changed the course of music and that can't be disputed

Plus i met him a few months ago and he was one of the most kind, gracious and appreciative people I have EVER met in my life

divide

Reaction score
I really hate how a lot of guitar players will throw on the wah pedal to cover up sloppy playing. (Alex Lifeson, Kirk Hammet, Slash, and that kid at guitar center really come to mind.)

I enjoyed how the solo started, but as soon as he started trem picking and the deep scoop wah started I just felt like it was no different from anything I had heard before.

Well, everybody can't be perfect player like you.

Seriously i just wonder why so many people cry about using Wah pedal. Like "he uses Wah pedal so i bet he suck without wah."

And i'm my opinion Alex Lifeson and Slash are some of the best rock guitarists out there.

shaneroo

Oh, herrrrro......
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Fuck the haters

munky is one of the most inventive, unique and creative prominent guitarists from the last 20 years, what he did with korn was absolutely groundbreaking and changed the course of music and that can't be disputed

Plus i met him a few months ago and he was one of the most kind, gracious and appreciative people I have EVER met in my life

true to the last drop

GeoMantic

Reaction score
Well, everybody can't be perfect player like you.

Seriously i just wonder why so many people cry about using Wah pedal. Like "he uses Wah pedal so i bet he suck without wah."

And i'm my opinion Alex Lifeson and Slash are some of the best rock guitarists out there.

Nowhere in my post did I say that either of them, or Munky were bad guitar players. I'm a huge Rush fan, and I really enjoy a couple of GNR and VR songs. I can even give Korn credit where it's due. Without them, 7's would probably not be anywhere near as popular as they are.

I also don't think that being a shred god makes someone a good guitar player. Munky and Lifeson are great in their own fields, and that isn't something I'm trying to argue against.

I was just reminded by the video in the OP of how a long of people tend to cover up mistakes, or add something to an otherwise bland solo. If Muinky had kept going, or expanded with the first few melodic ideas he presented, I would have enjoyed the solo more. But that's just me.

TL;DR
Not trying to hate.

')