Murder Construct firing shotz at da djentz

• Thread starter DLG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

avenger

Reaction score
The logical conclusion to this is to get your silver macbook pro, point and click some djent get travis on vocals...

Djentgrind... Djentgrind everywhere.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I'm not commenting on djent, deathcore, deathgrind, trends, or shitty bands. I'm just here to say that: Travis Ryan is one of the best vocalists in metal. Holy shit.

Equivoke

dickbut
Reaction score
I don't think the point is to "sound like a monster" :lol:

Out of curiosity, do you complain when people sing in falsetto? After all, you're a grown man for fucks sake, no one believes that you're a high pitched voiced fairy. Ffff, you ain't no pixie, who you think you're fooling?
TLDR; "anyone who doesn't sing only clean and 'normal' is a BIG FAT PHONEY, FAKER, PHONEY!"? Eh?

Even singing is "fake voice".
Personally I only like spoken word vocals in the persons native accent with no attempt to fit the words in a specific meter over my syncopated djent progressive metal.

wakjob

Reaction score
Just sayin', I'd take Kiske over Cookie Monster 10 outta 10 times.

Jeff Walker, Marcel 'Schmier' Schirmer, Mille Petrozza are all pretty cool though.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
I'm of 2 minds on this type of thing.

First, it does make me sad that there's so much in-fighting, bitching, and hating between various segments of metal. I don't need a musician to try and tell me what methods are acceptable to create metal. I don't need sites like Metalsucks bitching about bands they hate every day. it's not productive, and it doesn't help the genre as a whole.

Second, getting one's panties in a bunch about this stuff is also stupid. Guess what, not everyone likes the music you do. That's okay. Not everyone is going to be reasonable in their dislike of the music you enjoy. That's okay too. Just say "fuck them" and move on.

I like djent, but realize that it's fairly sterile, cliche, and 9 out of 10 songs have lyrics out of a physics textbook.

I like stuff grind genres, but realize that it's grating, overly harsh, devoid of dynamics, and I can only listen to so much in one sitting.

I like deathcore, but realize that a band like Emmure has the artistic merit of a turnip.

I like traditional metal, but realize that there is no such fucking thing as "troo brootal metalzz!!!" that will increase my imaginary metal street cred.

I like nu metal, but realize that there are a lot of bands that hopped on that type of thing that were no more than label created boy bands.

I like industrial, but... well... okay, industrial is perfectly flawless in every way. So, that doesn't really fit this post, but whatever. (note the humor)

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
^ This is how I feel. I listen to all kinds of metal except lofi black metal shit.

It seems to me though that people who play progressive music just shut up and get on with it while people trying to hold on to something that has been done over and over again seem much more threatened and outspoken about other forms of metal.

I actually think it's pathetic and sad. I know the video was a joke but it reiterates the fear driven elitism that so many bands in this genre cling so dearly on to so they can cover their own shortcomings by pointing the finger elsewhere.

Going to listen to Napalm Death now.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
I don't think the point is to "sound like a monster" :lol:

Out of curiosity, do you complain when people sing in falsetto? After all, you're a grown man for fucks sake, no one believes that you're a high pitched voiced fairy. Ffff, you ain't no pixie, who you think you're fooling?
TLDR; "anyone who doesn't sing only clean and 'normal' is a BIG FAT PHONEY, FAKER, PHONEY!"? Eh?

(To be clear, you saying they're trying to sound like monsters, makes you sound retarded, even though that probably isn't what you're going for either. :rofl:)

EDIT: The username of the poster above me is hilariously appropriate.
EDIT2: And I didn't neg you, but whoever did, I agree with wholeheartedly. You're a cool guy, why you gotta be accusing people of trying to be demons? :lol:

Dude I've been listening to metal for about 25 years. I don't mean just sing clean, and it's only a personal taste thing anyway, I love hard projected singing/screaming as well.

I just find that whole "pout your lips, furrow your brow and roll your eyes back" thing to do some killer lows is a crack up. 9 times out of ten it's just a cover, dudes pretending, for a whole myriad of psychological reasons, to be a bad ass.

I'm really just poking fun with the monster thing though, I do love old school D.M and grind. I think Devin Townsend came up with it first in an interview about SYL disbanding.

It read something along the lines of "there comes a point when a lot of metal becomes hilarious, let's face it, you're grown men with beards up on a stage making monster noises, does no one else see the humour in that?"

I do Devin...I do

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
Dude I've been listening to metal for about 25 years. I don't mean just sing clean, and it's only a personal taste thing anyway, I love hard projected singing/screaming as well.

I just find that whole "pout your lips, furrow your brow and roll your eyes back" thing to do some killer lows is a crack up. 9 times out of ten it's just a cover, dudes pretending, for a whole myriad of psychological reasons, to be a bad ass.
:yesway:
Because I don't think wannabe monsters exist :rofl: but wannabe hardasses are indeed annoying.

Reaction score

Your username is sol niger. You must be a Meshuggah fan, yet this quote perfectly describes Jens. What?

Reaction score
ruby6.jpg

:lol:

7stringDemon

Reaction score
I have a few opinions I'd like to add :)

All metal is regurgitated and unoriginal now. But that doesn't make it any less awesome!!! Quit getting mad. Some djent bands are great, some deathcore bands are great. Some death metal sucks, and yeah, some Dream Theatre sucks too! (all grindcore and thrash metal sucks :lol:).

Who do you believe is the most original band you know? Because I bet someone else can find you 10 bands that sound just like them.

Hell, the only music that's original anymore is dubstep. But it's popular therefore it feels as though none of it is! But think about it, 5 years ago, IT DIDN'T EXIST!

And for the record, I fucking hate dubstep.

Can anyone PLEASE explain to me why it matters how original a band is? (I'd actually like an answer to this one)

And let me ask something about hating whole genre's. Let's pretend that you LOVE deathcore. But you hate Whitechapel. Since we're all supposed to hate everything in a genre that we hate, doesn't that mean that we should like everything in a genre that we like?

Do you see what I'm getting at?

So all of my stupid rants and questions lead to this. . . . . Just listen to what you do like, and ignore what you don't. And don't EVER just say you hate a band because of their genre, fanbase, looks, popularity or beliefs.

EX: Do you know what I hate? Post-hardcore emo crap. Do you know what I love? The 'Set The World On Fire' album by Black Veil Brides.

Oh, and quit with the fucking sub-genre's of everything! Really, how specific do we need to get?

There are only a few thinks in metal I consider to be genres.

Heavy
Glam
Death
Black
Thrash
Metalcore
Deathcore
Djent (yes, I'm calling it a genre. It's not just a guitar tone anymore, suck it up)
Industrial
Techno-metal

Do you know why I give them all their own genre's? Because they all sound different from eachother!

Amon Amarth may sing about vikings but you know what they SOUND like? Death Metal!

Wow, this is a long, and probably annoying post. Sorry dudes/dudettes!

')