Murder Construct firing shotz at da djentz

• Thread starter DLG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
Can anyone PLEASE explain to me why it matters how original a band is? (I'd actually like an answer to this one)

I'm guessing you are young and you grew up in the killswitch age, where a couple bands start a trend and then labels encourage blatant copying of these bands by signing rip offs by the dozens.

That's not how it always was. Back in the day, the original bands got signed and promoted, not the copy cats. That's what a lot of these oldschool guys hate about this era.

Look at early 90s death metal. Immolation, Incantation, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Death all of these bands have very distinct styles and they were signed and promoted because they were original. Clones came and went, but they never got the attention that clones get today.

back then, people were trying to be original in order to get signed, now many are doing the opposite. they are riding the nuts of a trend in hopes of making it off the coattails of others. And it works a lot of the time.

originality matters to a lot of these old heads because that's the world they grew up in and they miss it. simple as that.

Semichastny

Reaction score
I'm guessing you are young and you grew up in the killswitch age, where a couple bands start a trend and then labels encourage blatant copying of these bands by signing rip offs by the dozens.

That's not how it always was. Back in the day, the original bands got signed and promoted, not the copy cats. That's what a lot of these oldschool guys hate about this era.

Look at early 90s death metal. Immolation, Incantation, Suffocation, Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Obituary, Death all of these bands have very distinct styles and they were signed and promoted because they were original. Clones came and went, but they never got the attention that clones get today.

back then, people were trying to be original in order to get signed, now many are doing the opposite. they are riding the nuts of a trend in hopes of making it off the coattails of others. And it works a lot of the time.

originality matters to a lot of these old heads because that's the world they grew up in and they miss it. simple as that.

:nuts: Please dude, metal has always had clones. Pointing out seven DM bands doesn't prove anything, what of the countless dozens of bands in their respective regional scenes? There was less money in styles like death metal then. Do you really think if 90's death metal had the same commercial viability as 00's metalcore there wouldn't have been a mass of generic DM bands getting signed *cough*roadrunner*cough*? Coalesce, Botch, Deadguy, 7 Angels 7 Plagues, Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge, and Deadwater Drowning all had super innovative sounds in metalcore, so whats your point?
no_pink_glasses.jpg

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
:nuts: Please dude, metal has always had clones. You mentioned these bands but what what of the countless dozens in their respective regional scenes? Pointing out seven DM bands doesn't prove anything, remember all the DM bands on Roadrunner records? If we were to use killswitch and metalcore as a reference I can point out seven metalcore bands who had their own innovative sounds. Coalesce, Botch, Deadguy, 7 Angels 7 Plagues, Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge, and Deadwater Drowning.

no_pink_glasses.jpg

what shitty death metal clone bands did Roadrunner sign in the 90s?

Pretty sure just about all of them were awesome and original. Cynic? Pestilence? Disincarnate? Deicide? Possessed?

All awesome and original bands.

And the metalcore bands you named are great. KSE had tons and tons of clones, they still do. Remember what Avenged Sevenfold used to sound like? Caliban?

There were also tons of DEP clone bands getting signed when Calculating broke.

Semichastny

Reaction score
what shitty death metal clone bands did Roadrunner sign in the 90s?

Pretty sure just about all of them were awesome and original. Cynic? Pestilence? Disincarnate? Deicide? Possessed?

All awesome and original bands.

And the metalcore bands you named are great. KSE had tons and tons of clones, they still do. Remember what Avenged Sevenfold used to sound like? Caliban?

There were also tons of DEP clone bands getting signed when Calculating broke.

Check out my post again, I fixed it (I keep thinking of better things to say after I post lol). There simply wasn't money in Death Metal then, but there was money for Killswitchcore. The Scenes were a lot more insular then any. Tapetrading, friends, and tours were pretty much the only reliable ways to find out about Death Metal bands back then. With the internet and the decent amount of capital invested in touring Killswitch made a bigger switch.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
Check out my post again, I fixed it (I keep thinking of better things to say after I post lol). There simply wasn't money in Death Metal then, but there was money for Killswitchcore. The Scenes were a lot more insular then any. Tapetrading, friends, and tours were pretty much the only reliable ways to find out about Death Metal bands back then. With the internet and the decent amount of capital invested in touring Killswitch made a bigger switch.

which is pretty much exactly my point. this "anger" comes from people who miss how it was. I never said that music is shittier now than it was before. I'm saying that according to the way it was, the good bands floated to the top and the shitty clones were relegated to obscurity, which is no longer the case.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
Coalesce, Botch, Deadguy, 7 Angels 7 Plagues, Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge, and Deadwater Drowning all had super innovative sounds in metalcore

Let's be honest. I'm with you up until Deadwater Drowning. They were alright, but there was nothing innovative about chugging and minor 2nds.

Semichastny

Reaction score
Let's be honest. I'm with you up until Deadwater Drowning. They were alright, but there was nothing innovative about chugging and minor 2nds.

Innovative doesn't always have to be doing something for the first time ever musically. Let's be honest they weren't just "chugging and minor 2nds" they were pretty much the first band that could be considered Deathcore by modern standards. They had blast beats, low tuned guitars, tremolo pickings, At the Gates riffs, weird mathy sections, death growls, and semi-clean sections mixed into metalcore years before other bands picked up on those elements en masse.

groovemasta

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this song was created to try to become relevant to current trends while simultaneously expressing their dislike.

I'm not too familiar with this band but I bet a lot more people are talking about them now that they are hating on what's popular.

(oh look it worked, there's a 6 page thread mostly about them, and I've never heard about them on this forum or others.)

And I'm sorry but having a friend that is pretty much only into dub I can honestly say it's the least original music I've heard.

7stringDemon

Reaction score

Fuck, I can't believe I forgot to list Primus as their own genre. That was stupid of me :noplease:

^ The above statement sounded sarcastic but it wasn't. I genuinely believe that Primus get's their own genre.

no_dice

a very bad old bear
Reaction score
Innovative doesn't always have to be doing something for the first time ever musically. Let's be honest they weren't just "chugging and minor 2nds" they were pretty much the first band that could be considered Deathcore by modern standards. They had blast beats, low tuned guitars, tremolo pickings, At the Gates riffs, weird mathy sections, death growls, and semi-clean sections mixed into metalcore years before other bands picked up on those elements en masse.

I want to say there were other bands doing the same thing, but since I can't think of any specifically, I'll give you the win on this one, though I feel like metalcore bands were taking death metal influence way before DWD. The bands that come to mind are early Eighteen Visions, Premonitions of War, With Dead Hands Rising, and some of the stuff Tribunal Records put out.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Well, I got banned for using a certain slur to describe deathgrind, lol. Oh well, should have thought that one through on a forum so large. Sorry!

Anyway, I'm certainly not "butthurt" by this song, as I'm not a djent (yes, as someone else said, it IS a sub-genre nowadays) fan for the most part. But "raw" metal is, for the most part and in my personal opinion, boring. It sounds like ass and is usually played by the stubborn assholes you just want to punch in the face when you meet them, because all they ever talk about is "real metal" and how everything else sucks.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Anyway, I'm certainly not "butthurt" by this song, as I'm not a djent (yes, as someone else said, it IS a sub-genre nowadays) fan for the most part. But "raw" metal is, for the most part and in my personal opinion, boring. It sounds like ass and is usually played by the stubborn assholes you just want to punch in the face when you meet them, because all they ever talk about is "real metal" and how everything else sucks.

Or they're like me and they like raw, fast metal because it's different from all of the polished material out now (which is good). I originally started listening to heavier music when I got into punk. I was never really into the pop punk side of things. I loved hardcore and any other in your face music.

I love technical music, too, but after a while, I need to listen to something different. I've been listening to a lot of crust lately, and it's very refreshing. It's kind of like listening to nothing but Holdsworth for a month. After a while, you need something different.

Also, don't forget about deathgrind bands that don't sound stubborn like Misery Index and Impaled.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
Elitism is a two way street dude. Keep those blanket statements to yourself. :nono:

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Or they're like me and they like raw, fast metal because it's different from all of the polished material out now (which is good). I originally started listening to heavier music when I got into punk. I was never really into the pop punk side of things. I loved hardcore and any other in your face music.

I love technical music, too, but after a while, I need to listen to something different. I've been listening to a lot of crust lately, and it's very refreshing. It's kind of like listening to nothing but Holdsworth for a month. After a while, you need something different.

Also, don't forget about deathgrind bands that don't sound stubborn like Misery Index and Impaled.

Absolutely. There is always sense in your views, sir.

As far as elitism, okay. :)

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
I have a few opinions I'd like to add :)

All metal is regurgitated and unoriginal now. But that doesn't make it any less awesome!!! Quit getting mad. Some djent bands are great, some deathcore bands are great. Some death metal sucks, and yeah, some Dream Theatre sucks too! (all grindcore and thrash metal sucks :lol:).

Im trying not to get offended.
I succeded.

But i still disagree, since grind etc. is the "music" i love the most.

cronux

Reaction score
i guess they are pissed off that djentz are taking all of the "metal spotlight" these days :lol:

as for the whole djent thing i still have the same opinion: a watered down meshuggah with catchy clean choruses (because of dynamics and...stuff apparently), technically interesting but with no real balls

but hey, 7/8/9 strings are up to production, digital amps and such are more popular because of it so yay!

Mega-Mads

Not an IMN
Reaction score
i guess they are pissed off that djentz are taking all of the "metal spotlight" these days :lol:

as for the whole djent thing i still have the same opinion: a watered down meshuggah with catchy clean choruses (because of dynamics and...stuff apparently), technically interesting but with no real balls

but hey, 7/8/9 strings are up to production, digital amps and such are more popular because of it so yay!

I think that this is the point:
I'm pretty sure this song was created to try to become relevant to current trends while simultaneously expressing their dislike.

All the grind musicians i know are not there for the spotlight, girls etc. They're there for the satisfaction of making the music they love.

btw. when you see grind chicks, you will know that its definetly not for the chicks!!

')