Music Man Guitars? General Opinions?

• Thread starter SwanWings
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bennykins

Reaction score
I have an Axis SS, which I bought new about 10 years ago and it's a great guitar with excellent build quality. I've always wanted to get a plain Axis (floyd -rose model) to compliment it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kaaka

Reaction score
I would say - since you are living in the US - that Music Man might be the most bang for the buck high end guitar that you can find over there. They are very, very good instruments. Sounds great and have maybe the best playability while still feeling somewhat traditional in my opinion (faster than Ibanez necks for me but still almost as good feeling as fender necks which is what most shred guitars lack big time).

I would say that due to the prices of Music Man in US they compare very favorably to Fender for example, and then I am a big fender fanboy who owns several strats but no music man... the reason I play fender and not music man is I live in sweden and here music man are among the most expensive guitars around.

molsoncanadian

Crunchy Riff, Eh?
Reaction score
You simply cannot go wrong with EBMM, from a production stand point (I guess you can dislike neck profiles, aesthetics). Their QC is second to none. I have personally never come across anything negative (be it reading, or physically seeing) in regards to build quality, and thats saying something nowadays. I guess EBMM might not be completely impervious to mistakes, however I havent seen any models suffering from the same issues that Jacksons, Ibanez's ect suffer from (screwed up nuts, poor finishes, shit fret ends ect ect)

Watch a couple factory tours, and you will see the attention to detail that goes into the production of their guitars. And for you more technical minded people, you will see a shop that has a system of checks, quality, and repeatability.

From a playability stand point, second to none IMO.

electriceye

Reaction score
I have a very early AXIS. Hands down, one of my best guitars. I bonded with it immediately. Comparing it with a Strat really is apples and oranges, as they sound completely different. I would pick an AXIS for any form of music over a Strat, IMO. Then again, I'd still buy a nice Strat (or build one, preferably). Score yourself a nice used AXIS. You won't regret it. And you won't spend more than $1200.

Metlupass2

Reaction score
I've had a JP6 and an Axis Super Sport years ago. I wanted to get reacquainted with EBMM again so I bought a JP6 BFR and its simply awesome.

You can't go wrong with any EBMM guitar really.

Bforber

Reaction score
I'll try it out, and when someone asks me how it plays, all I have to say is "it plays like a Music Man".

this

EBMM is a unique brand, to say the least. Out of all the guitars I've played in general, I've never been able to make a pure comparison between an EBMM and any other brand, for better or worse depending on your preferences.

I have JPXI 6 and a Majesty 7, and I can personally say I love the hell out of them both. The playability is incredible.

It's something I would definitely recommend you find a shop and try out a few models to see which is to your liking, especially if you wanted to go the JP route. There are some wild differences between the JPX, JPXI and the JPXIII in particular, (the JPXII is the same as the JPXI with a basswood body instead of Alder.)

')