Music marketing!

• Thread starter taysil11
  • Start date
  • Tags
    marketing
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

taysil11

Reaction score
Sorry if this is out of place, but I don't think there's a board for these questions.

So how do you guys typically market music for your bands? Assuming the music is good, no one is going to hear it unless it goes out there.

There are the typical distribution mediums such as Facebook, Soundcloud, and Bandcamp, but do any of you guys have cool ideas for sharing your music out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Taylord

Reaction score
Since forums like this one are so saturated now and facebook is trying to make you pay for advertising, I wonder what will be the new way for artists to "get ahead"? Almost seems impossible now.

taysil11

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking about as well. Obviously, assuming the music is good, people naturally listen. But how does one actually get it out there in creative ways?

Hosting sites are only as good as the amount they're explored by other people.

Last edited:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
At least on forums like these, my experience has been the best way to get people to listen to your stuff is to become a regular member and frequent poster. I'm an admin over at Metalguitarist.org - The Heavy Metal Guitar Authority, and I can't tell you the number of drive-by spam posts we get with people posting Soundcloud and Youtube links to their "mixtests," usually djent tracks. Usually we just delete the link and replace it with something amusing, but even when we don't, the posts are generally ignored.

Whenever a regular member who's part of the community shares something, however, he or she usually gets a couple pages of comments. That translates into views on YouTube, listens on Soundcloud, shares on Facebook, etc, all of which I would consider "buzz."

Hell, look at bulb - the reason periphery took off was he was super active all over the net back in the day.

Note of course that if you're a prick or if no one likes you, this will often have the reverse effect. :lol:

taysil11

Reaction score
Hahaha... I'm a fan of that technique. I guess it keeps the message board clear! It seems like the tried and true way is just networking with people.

@#$!
Just kidding.

That is interesting though, with how many sites are devoted to "making your band known" and then "rank" you based on your region or likes. Everyone wants the quick fix.

Last edited:

Pezshreds

SSBRO.org Regular
Reaction score
Chuck a link to your band in your sig on here man, and any other forum you are a member of. I usually just randomly post my band on facebook (link to either a track or a rehersal or something band related). I've put my band in my "work" part and as my cover photo on fb so whenever someone looks they can check it out etc.