Music terminology that annoys you

• Thread starter halsinden
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pink freud

Reaction score
When people say their guitar has a "Rosewood neck" or an "Ebony neck". It's a fucking fretboard, not a neck.

+1, unless their guitar actually had a rosewood neck, which seems rather odd

TN2516B.jpg

:agreed:

Anyway: Tremelo. It's a vibrato :scream:

Concr3t3

Under The Stone
Reaction score
I've never liked the term "ax". It's a fuckin' guitar/bass, not an "ax". An "ax" is what I use to kill...uh...trees. :realmad:

_detox

lurkin'.
Reaction score
Something that annoys the fuck out of me is the work breakbeat. What the fuck is a breakbeat? A lot of people have told me "It's like what Born of Osiris do." And when I ask "Do you mean a polyrhythmic (sp?) breakdown?" and they look at me like :spock: A fucking drummer told me this one time.

Breakbeats have nothing to do with Born of Osiris and very little to do with metal.

Breakbeats are drum beats, the name comes from a part in an older funk song when the music would stop (break) and the rhythm section would play by themselves.

The most common breakbeat is the Amen break, which is pretty much the basis of every drum and bass song that ever existed. See:

I don't understand how anyone could possibly call a "polyrhythmic" breakdown a breakbeat. :spock:

Oh well, hope that made sense. :yesway:

Reaction score
Thanks detox! :yesway:
That makes a whole hell of a lot more sense. That's always what I thought it would mean, but a lot of people told me "It's like what Born of Osiris do" The idiocy of people never ceases to amaze.

Reaction score
Christian Death Metal and Christian Black Metal (Crosstitutes often try to call it "White Metal")
FUCKING FAIL. I won't even get into all the reasons why such an abomination makes no sense.

And whenever you see a band that uses "progessive" and "thrash" often in the same sentence to describe themselves you know it's generic ass "KoRe" crap. Sodom, Toxic Holocaust, Early Slayer and Metallica, all thrash. You? Garbage.

Djent-nuff said

When people describe a tone as "chewy". What the fuck is that? Do you prefer your tone al dente?

Melodic= Generic mess a heavy band is putting out hoping to make it a commercial success. Whenever a band talks shit about "this cd is more melodic" you know where it's going. :noway:

Everything "Core" with the exception of, of course Grindcore. And even Grindcore 99% of the time falls into this. If you hear the word Core you know it'll be shit that makes you violently angry and not in the good way.

And a personal pet peeve, people who use the term "Satanic" to describe their mediocre and childish noise making. Songs about forcing Jesus to suck you off and killing him with a shank made from the bones of his dead and raped mother is NOT Satanic. Throwing pentagrams into everything, trying to sound scary, and saying Satan as often as possible is NOT Satanic. That's just called stupid. The first Satanic "Sin": Stupidity. You've already failed...try again.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
This isn't quite the same thing, but I hate when I hear people complaining about how it's stupid that Ab and G# are called something different because they're the same thing. Yes, in our equal temperament scale, they are the same frequency, but in music theory, they are very different notes.
Also if you are playing anything justly tuned or in a different temperament/tuning system (19TET for instance) G# and Ab won't be the same frequency.

chaosxcomplex

Reaction score
All_¥our_Bass;1826699 said:
Also if you are playing anything justly tuned or in a different temperament/tuning system (19TET for instance) G# and Ab won't be the same frequency.

Please explain...:spock:

Edit::Nevermind, Wiki'd that shit...

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i have to admit "chewy" is something i get when talking about tone :lol:

throaty is another word.

i kinda "see" guitar tones in my head too though. i see the geometric shape of it, kinda like an EQ analyzer/visualizer, but not directly related to the EQ. then i see it as a "thing". for example, Bulb's tone in my head is a chewy, yet tender, orange, see-through square. kinda like a fancy piece of soap, if you know what i mean. it's not like soap in consistency though, it's more like a thick rubber-like jelly kinda thing. and it glows.

yeah, i have weird ways of seeing sound :lol:

just saying that "chewy" is very reasonable to explain a tone in my head. it's something to do with the sound of the strings through the distortion, as well as the general EQ focus of the tone.

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
EDIT: Just realized I posted in a semi-ancient thread. Don't know what I did that made it look like it was recent.

Major mixing of sub-genres and scenes here. Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Suicidal Tendencies, etc. were So Cal Punk. Bad Brains was from D.C., but we referred to them as speedcore. The only recognizable sub-genre that you could say came from from the D.C area was "Straight Edge". Unfortunately, unless you follow the sub-genre, the only Straight-Edge-ish bands you'd likely recognize are Minor Threat and Fugazi.

Ray

Nah, all of those bands fall into the category of hardcore punk, the first wave of hardcore punk at least. Straight Edge isn't a genre of music, it's just a lifestyle that Minor Threat wasn't even intending on spreading. It took hold more in Boston than in DC.

chaosxcomplex

Reaction score
i have to admit "chewy" is something i get when talking about tone :lol:

throaty is another word.

i kinda "see" guitar tones in my head too though. i see the geometric shape of it, kinda like an EQ analyzer/visualizer, but not directly related to the EQ. then i see it as a "thing". for example, Bulb's tone in my head is a chewy, yet tender, orange, see-through square. kinda like a fancy piece of soap, if you know what i mean. it's not like soap in consistency though, it's more like a thick rubber-like jelly kinda thing. and it glows.

yeah, i have weird ways of seeing sound :lol:

just saying that "chewy" is very reasonable to explain a tone in my head. it's something to do with the sound of the strings through the distortion, as well as the general EQ focus of the tone.

Dude, there is a name for this,
Synesthesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Theres a whole bunch of weird shit that goes on in the brain pertaining to the senses and what we do and don't percieve...Crazy shit.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Vibrato bridges/tailstock being called Tremolos.

See, I get what people mean when they say this, but the fact is is that it's manufactured, marketed, sold, and is common knowledge that that is what a tremolo is, even if way back in the day they used the wrong term. Using the word triplet actually has a whole different meaning. It's gotten to a point when someone asks a question about triplets you pretty much have to ask them straight up whether they mean a gallop or an actual triplet.

If there were 2 separate entities, 1 being a vibrato bridge and 1 being a tremolo bridge, I would totally agree with that though.

White Cluster

Gives Life Meaning
Reaction score
Hatebreed = metal
Hardcore = Sick Of It All,Agnostic Front

Straightedge = Solidarity among talentless pussies.There's a reason Jimi Hendrix,The Beatles,The Beach Boys,The Rolling Stones,early Metallica et al..were innovative and wrote amazing music that has endured..THEY WERE FUCKING WASTED!!

I also hate when people describe riffs as being "chunky".They can be heavy,crushing,devastating..not chunky.Peanut butter can be chunky.3/4 of The View are chunky..Riffs are not.

pink freud

Reaction score
Drop D (or whatever) being used when the guitar is really in D Standard.

And on that same note, people asking what songs they could learn in Drop C when they just said their guitar is in Drop D. Do they not realize that the string pattern is the same?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Straightedge = Solidarity among talentless pussies.There's a reason Jimi Hendrix,The Beatles,The Beach Boys,The Rolling Stones,early Metallica et al..were innovative and wrote amazing music that has endured..THEY WERE FUCKING WASTED!!

I'm not edge or anything, but great music can certainly come from sober people.

')