Music terminology that annoys you

• Thread starter halsinden
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're killing my buzz, nerd.:squint: :lol:

Who you calling a nerd?!

NintendoNerdLord.jpg

White Cluster

Gives Life Meaning
Reaction score
I see your nerd and raise you a crackhead
crackhead.jpg

She has chewy tone!

C'mon Nino...Hook a brother up with a whole turkey or something.:lol:

I agree that sober people can make great music but history shows that truly inventive music came from people who tended to partake in "things".Not defending or promoting.Just stating my opinion.Some people that make good music sober made better music trashed..Hello Aerosmith it's the 70's calling.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Dude, there is a name for this,
Synesthesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Theres a whole bunch of weird shit that goes on in the brain pertaining to the senses and what we do and don't percieve...Crazy shit.

i know all about synesthesia, and have read alot about it, but i don't have the condition that is usually referred to as synesthesia. i just have a very active processing of audio input. "true" synesthesia means it's visual, as in they actually see all this stuff in front of them, and taste and smell it, as well as feel it's texture. for me it's not that direct, it's more like i imagine it.

whenever i listen to something, my imagination feeds back the resulting imagery, but it never goes past the realm of thought and imagination. it's under my control. for people with the diagnoes type, it's beyond their control, and it becomes part of their real world experience.

it's definitely the same phenomenon though, just in a naturally occuring state. it's something we all have, but not everyone has it to the same degree.

chaosxcomplex

Reaction score
yeah something like 1 in 23 people have noticeable "symptoms"...I have it sometimes, it's not constant, and it's kinda controlled, although some words and sounds do it unavoidably.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
chord- as in "hey man where did you put your guitar chord". its a cable man. its not made out of nylon and for parachuting. its called a cable.

that's because you're spelling it wrong :)
It's "cord", not a "chord" and that is a perfectly acceptable term. I also hate it though :)

cord
- 8 dictionary results
–noun
1. a string or thin rope made of several strands braided, twisted, or woven together.
2. Electricity. a small, flexible, insulated cable.
3. a ribbed fabric, esp. corduroy.
4. a cordlike rib on the surface of cloth.
5. any influence that binds or restrains: cord of marriage.
6. Anatomy. a cordlike structure: the spinal cord; umbilical cord.
7. a unit of volume used chiefly for fuel wood, now generally equal to 128 cu. ft. (3.6 cu. m), usually specified as 8 ft. long, 4 ft. wide, and 4 ft. high (2.4 m × 1.2 m × 1.2 m). Abbreviation: cd, cd.
8. a hangman's rope.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
Deutchbags?

Jeff

That made me wonder as well. :lol: I would have said "Guidos". :shrug:

On-Topic: My cousin and I constantly have arguments over whether "Technical" is a style or not, I know it's not; but he thinks it is. Really grinds my gears. He sees technical music not as challenging, or the artist's skill being very advanced, but as it's own style of playing. :ugh: He also constantly calls the legato runs that Satriani uses "Spider-crawl legato".

Reaction score
I don't understand how anyone could possibly call a "polyrhythmic" breakdown a breakbeat. :spock:

Oh well, hope that made sense. :yesway:

I think the reasoning goes like this:

"Breakbeat? Breakdown? We do that. We're breakbeat." I also hate when you get myspace deathcore bands that think they're funny and choose breakcore as one of their genres. "Breakcore is a style of electronic dance music largely influenced by hardcore techno, drum and bass and industrial music."

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I think the reasoning goes like this:

"Breakbeat? Breakdown? We do that. We're breakbeat." I also hate when you get myspace deathcore bands that think they're funny and choose breakcore as one of their genres. "Breakcore is a style of electronic dance music largely influenced by hardcore techno, drum and bass and industrial music."

that´s pretty funny though :lol:

lobee

vicioustabbing
Reaction score
^That would be "Deutschbäg".

Or you have the ever-rare "Dutchbaag".

Latest posts

')