Music theory on the guitar

• Thread starter Adilinar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adilinar

Reaction score
Hello!
I am an experienced pianist and I know theory on keyboards and piano that stuff.
My question is, on guitar.
I sometimes read the music theory lessons for guitar and all I see is.. they're explaining the C Major Scale, and they put it out in notes like (C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C), on the keyboards this isn't a problem, since I have the notes right in front of me. But on the guitar, I just can't seem to understand, because there are a lot of C's,G's etc... on the guitar, so, to build the C Major Scale on the guitar I don't even know where to start.
Does anyone know about a website that has all this theory ? But it has it mapped on the guitar neck ??
Or what do you recommend I should do? Just learn where every note is on the guitar??
Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Johann

Midnight Walker
Reaction score
you should learn the scale modes (Lydian, Mixolydian, Phrygian and 4 more i don't know their names in english :D) and that would make it wayyyyyyy easier for you :) hope it helped a bit.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Yes, learn scale and mode shapes, and wherever you are on the fretboard, the only note you need to worry about is the bottom note in the pattern. If you really want to know the relation of individual notes, though, I'd work on building bar chords, so that you know where the major seventh is in a chord and what the difference is to a minor seventh.

TonalArchitect

Augmented Chords!
Reaction score
Or what do you recommend I should do? Just learn where every note is on the guitar??
Thanks!

I'm sure there are some websites out there, but They might not give you the whole fretboard.

What you could do is get Guitar Pro; it has a scale selector which will show the location and name of each note on the entire neck of the guitar.

Here's a link: Guitar Pro - Tablature Editor Software for Guitar, Bass, and Banjo

If you don't want to do that, you could draw the neck and put the scales on it, making a diagram for each.

I DO NOT recommend that you use those stupid little scale 'block' diagrams. The idea is fine; it breaks the neck into pieces. The problem is that many guitarists seem to have difficulty stringing them together and often play in boxes.

But yes, perhaps far better than any collection of scale shapes, it is important to know absolutely every note on the guitar.

Note: the Guitar Pro thing (or anything comparable to it) will help with this too, since rather than showing little dots to tell you where the notes of a scale are, it actually displays the name of the note.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Well, you need to fragment the fretboard at some point, lest learning the fretboard becomes impossible. You'll end up subconciously doing this anyway, so I'm not going to recommend any method, but think about what it is you're doing: know the box shapes, but know where the tonic is in various octaves and be able to extend beyond the given shape.

')