Musician collaboration degrees of separation

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Some of you are probably familiar with a little game that was popular in the 1990's -The Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon. It was a fun parlor game where one player picks an actor or director or maybe even a hairdresser or whatever and then the other player tries to connect that person to Kevin Bacon through films. Then the player's score is how many films were used to conenct the person to Kevin Bacon.

For example: Paul Erdös was in a documentary "N Is a Number", from 1993, with Ronald Graham, who was in Penn Jillette's "Director's Cut" in 2016 with Dave Johnson, who was in "Frost/Nixon" in 2018 with Kevin Bacon. So, Paul Erdös can be connected to Kevin Bacon using two films.

This was modeled after a "game" based off of Mathematician Paul Erdös, who I used as an example. The original "game" was something people who published academic articles did, counting how many collaborative papers were required, in minimum, to connect themselves to Paul Erdös.

For example: I wrote a paper with V. M. Petrov, who wrote a paper with V. M. Mostepanenko, who wrote a paper with Andrei A. Grib, who wrote a paper with Andrei Yu Khrennikov, who wrote a paper with David M Avis, who wrote a paper with Paul Erdös, giving me an "Erdös number" of six.

With me so far? Where am I going with this?

So, before you decide this is the wrong subforum, I was thinking about a musician version of this game. Kevin Bacon has not only been in a boatload of films, but he's been in a diverse selection of films, so he's perfect for this sort of game. Paul Erdös collaborated with quite a few authors, but mainly he collaborated with a diverse selection of authors.

There are millions of musicians, and tens of thousands of them have published collaborative works. Who would be a high profile musician, though, who collaborated with other high profile musicians of a diverse number of genres? Derek Sherinian? Buckethead? LL Cool J? Weird Al Yankovic?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Not entirely accurate, though:

upload_2018-5-25_10-29-42.png

(Trent wrote one of the songs that was 'covered' in The Alternative Polka, but he didn't compose or arrange The Alternative Polka, itself..)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
dt2vg.jpg

Oh wow, they have mixing engineers, too. I hadn't even thought of that angle. That's going to really tie things together.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I keep throwing in combos and getting only 2 or three because they both recorded songs by the same composer. :lol:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Myself, I played in a shortlived Buckethead tribute band with a guy who played in a death metal band with a guy who played in Aftermass with Jason Krause, who played with Kid Rock, so, there's my "in." :p I also played in a comedy metal band with a dude who played in a lot of indie bands, so I'm probably connected to the Indie scene that way. As a kid, I played in a band that played one gig with a guy who played with Kung Fu Diesel, which has connections with Ted Nugent... and I'm certain that none of those people even remember who I am. :lol:

Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew are very useful in this game.

Hmm, yeah, I bet. Actually, Brent Mason has probably played with nearly every country artist, and I'll bet the Hellecasters each individually play a key role connecting that to the rest of the industry.

rokket2005

Reaction score
de2tatu.png

Theres was only three levels from Frank Zappa to Paul Wall too thanks to MJ.

metallifan3091

Reaction score
I think the most fun way to play this is to choose really mainstream pop artists and really 'kvlt' extreme metal guys that renounce pop music and actively hate what it stands for. Turns out that Varg Vikernes and T Swift are only 4 people apart.

The best I've done so far is 6: Jeru the Damaja to Les "Survivorman" Stroud.

Last edited:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the most fun way to play this is to choose really mainstream pop artists and really 'kvlt' extreme metal guys that renounce pop music and actively hate what it stands for. Turns out that Varg Vikernes and T Swift are only 4 people apart.

The best I've done so far is 6: Jeru the Damaja to Les "Survivorman" Stroud.

I was thinking the best strategy would be to try to connect some really obscure artist from one genre with a really obscure artist from a totally different genre, like Estradasphere and Buster Jones above, but that only yielded a 5.

Avedas

Reaction score
I have learned that random Japanese artists are either connected to western artists through Ted Jensen or not at all.

')