Musician Stereotypes

• Thread starter Psychobuddy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

QueeZeR

Beard appreciater
Reaction score
Interesting... would you want to elaborate on that? I've found it to be the complete and total opposite in my case, so I'd be interested to hear your story.
Well, I can't really be sure the theory is to blame, since a lot of things changed at roughly the same time. (Listening to a wider variety of music, becoming aware of good technique, sound quality/mix etc.)

But what have happened is simply that I get less and less ideas, and when I write something it feels like it lacks depth. It appears to me to be just a wall of notes.
What makes me feel that theory might be (partially) responsible is because I find myself analyzing everything: chords, chord progression, intervals and so forth.

I guess it could just be a temporary lack of ideas, and I want something to blame, though 2 years of steady decline is starting to worry me.

DaveCarter

Melowiddler
Reaction score
If anything, I think theory could actually help with problems of uncreativity. We all get those spells where nothing new comes to us, but I can do it the theory-geek way. I find something totally out of my usual music territory, something I dont even usually listen to, and just turn everything in to a formula. Chords become I, ii, iv, vii etc, lead parts become scale degree e.g. 1, 3, 5, #4, 7. Then you can apply that formula to something totally different. Choose your own key, your own time signature, your own tempo. Make the drums half-time, constant double bass, polymetric, whatever you want. The result of doing that can then inspire you to change chords/note here and there, so by the time youre done tweaking it may not be anything like the original song that you took the formula from. It might end up sounding crap, it might be amazing, but you wont know until you give it a try :)

stevee

Reaction score
I think theory actually helps a lot when you're actually trying to play or write what you hear in your head.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anything, I think theory could actually help with problems of uncreativity. We all get those spells where nothing new comes to us, but I can do it the theory-geek way. I find something totally out of my usual music territory, something I dont even usually listen to, and just turn everything in to a formula. Chords become I, ii, iv, vii etc, lead parts become scale degree e.g. 1, 3, 5, #4, 7. Then you can apply that formula to something totally different. Choose your own key, your own time signature, your own tempo. Make the drums half-time, constant double bass, polymetric, whatever you want. The result of doing that can then inspire you to change chords/note here and there, so by the time youre done tweaking it may not be anything like the original song that you took the formula from. It might end up sounding crap, it might be amazing, but you wont know until you give it a try :)

Exactly. When I was younger, I could hear a song and say "I have to learn that!". Now I can hear a song and say "Oh, I hadn't thought of that, I have to try that!". I barely ever learn songs anymore, but I pick up ideas from songs all the time just from listening to them. A neat chord change, turnaround, harmony or whatever. Part of that is ear training of course, but if it wasn't for studying theory I wouldn't be able to draw any conclusions from it. So my creativity has improved a lot from studying theory.

Well, I can't really be sure the theory is to blame, since a lot of things changed at roughly the same time. (Listening to a wider variety of music, becoming aware of good technique, sound quality/mix etc.)

But what have happened is simply that I get less and less ideas, and when I write something it feels like it lacks depth. It appears to me to be just a wall of notes.
What makes me feel that theory might be (partially) responsible is because I find myself analyzing everything: chords, chord progression, intervals and so forth.

I guess it could just be a temporary lack of ideas, and I want something to blame, though 2 years of steady decline is starting to worry me.

After getting into theory studies, I saw a lot of my old songs aswell as songs on the radio etc. in a very different light. Stuff I previously thought was good simply didn't cut it anymore, and I had to work much harder to satisfy myself both as a songwriter and as a listener. I may write songs at a slower pace and in lesser quantity now, but my ideas and expression has in turn improved a lot.

xenophist

Reaction score
While some guitarists are sensitive and artsy , the stereotype of metal guitarists are not. Watch some Black Dahlia Murder documentaries. They look like the funnest, laid back, and obnoxious(in a good way) guys to hang out with. I honestly hope I can fit into that category.
From the Majesty DVD
*Preppy girls walk by*
Brian: That was the biggest group of bitches I've ever seen!

cycloptopus

Reaction score
Lets not forget the "I-don't-want-to-learn-theory-or-take-lessons-because-it-might-inhibit my-creativity-I think-I'm more-innovative-this-way"-kind
:lol:
I used to jam with a drummer that wouldn't practice (other than band practice) for this reason!:nuts: He was good, but if he practiced he could have been great.

I fucking hate that saying!:scream:
So true. Just way too played out, and seems so empty these days.

I think, if using theory works for you, then do it. If not, no big deal. The question is more about, "are you achieving what you want in the music you play?" If not, it may help to learn theory. Too much attachment to theory can restrict your creativity, and not having any theory can be stale and limited. One or the other is not the be all end all either way. Some of the most innovative musical breakthroughs have occurred as rebellion to convention. And some amazing pieces are a result of strict adherance to theoretical concepts.

I dunno, I think stereotypes exist because there is some truth to em. There are always exceptions to the rules. But if you wear a shirt that says "I hate chicks," more than likely no chick is going to walk on up to you and start up a conversation...though you never know...

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Go to college for music? Fuck that! I like money, so I went to engineering school.

I don't know, in this economy, if you find yourself employment adrift, the music thing might actually pay more. :noplease: I've got a B.S. degree in mechanical design and I'm pretty sure I could find work quicker playing music in some capacity than in any "real" industry right now... even if it was putting a money jar out on the street and strumming random shit on an acoustic. :lol:

*Variant is going on 400 days of looking for work. :noplease:

Psychobuddy

edxgxsrfrz
Reaction score
Funny how this thread was kinda hijacked into a music theory vs non music theory thread :D

Oh that's quite alright [sorry if that sounded sarcastic in your head, it sounded that way in mine, but it's not] if people are enjoying themselves I say go for it. As for my views on theory vs. non theory, I say theory all the way. It's much easier for me to make the sounds in my head on my instrument if well...if I know how. That's what theory helps me do.

Maestro

Reaction score
:agreed: I hope to be one of those newer guys, I'll be applying to Berklee here soon :ugh:

Good luck with that man. I might be applying to Berklee myself. Haven't decided yet.

I think the world needs a lot more musically educated singers and guitar players. For some reason these seem to be the most common type of musicians who might go their whole lives without musical knowledge.

There is nothing wrong with being self taugh if music is your hobby. However, I feel that if you consider yourself a musician, you should learn music. There is a difference between a guitar player and a musician. One just plays the guitar, the other understands it.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I'm your typical brutal/beautiful/epic kinda guy.

I'm not sensitive or artsy, but I love gentle, beautiful piano arrangements just as much as I love Beneath The Massacre :agreed:

a picture speaks a thousand words:

warpeace.jpg

Arctodus

king of the monsters
Reaction score
I'm an anti-guitarist personally. I look nothing like a person who would play one. I only play it for some reason because I feel if it was fate. I've gotten pretty far without theory too. You eventually learn self-theory of scales from just listening how notes ascend and descend. As Marty Friedman says, make your own scales.

I sort of hate most people in modern bands that got made. Most of them know shit and will buy into anything if you sell it to them. The people who follow them believe in that too.

')