Musicians Opinion Question: Keep looking for a band or just go solo?

• Thread starter Dennyism
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dennyism

Reaction score
Greetings all, I will keep this straight to the point. I'm in the Va. Beach, VA. area, and all of the musician finder sites (craigslist, bandmix, exploretalent, etc.) are showing minimal signs of life. I've played in a few good projects around here, and had a good time writing music and playing out, but there is just nothing to be had as far as pre-existing bands looking for another guitar player, or people starting up. The original music scene here just seems to be evaporating. I've got all kinds of ideas that I want to get working on now, and I'm not sure I want to hang around and do nothing while the available musician pool here decides they want to get of the couch and get back out there. So, my question is this, which of the following would be better?

A. Keep the faith that something will come along sometime in the future even though that could turn out to be a very long wait?

B. Go solo, write and record everything myself, and just try to find people to play my music later?

I know that as a musician, I wouldn't want my lines handed to me as I would want to be part of the creative process. The popular consensus with the local musicians I talk to seems to be that once it's on a cd or on your website, and you start getting fans, the way the music is recorded is the way the fans are going to want to hear it played live. I know that you are the ones out there doing this, and you all come from different backgrounds and areas, so your opinions are appreciated. Thank you for any input on this issue.

Ckackley

Reaction score
With todays tech , you could totally do your own thing while keeping your eyes open for a band. My band plays with groups all the time that use extensive backing tracks to make up for musicians they don't have. One guy we gig with occasionally just has himself, a keyboard, a guitar and a laptop. He either plays keys or guitar and sings. Everything else is on the laptop. I love the collaborative process a band offers, but given nothing else I'd go the one man band route. Who says that if a good band forms up you can't do both ?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Why not a combination of both?
A. Implies that you will not make music by yourself whilst waiting for a band to make music with.
B. Implies that if you make music by yourself and then find a band, the band has to play your music, which you said may make musicians harder to find.

Why not make music yourself whilst waiting for a band to write music with? Do both. Have a solo project and a band eventually.
Or if you're like me, you may grow out of the idea of wanting to play in a band. I only want to do a solo project now, and hopefully sell some CDs myself online one day.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely both. There are advantages on both sides of the pond. I prefer writing and playing in a band setting, but still like to put my own stuff together. Doing your own stuff allows you complete creative freedom to chase whatever you feel like. Playing in a band allows you to focus heavily on one instrument and really zero in on something special, as well as have some excelllent musician interaction.

Dennyism

Reaction score
Thank you for all of the input. I never considered doing both, and thought that I had to choose. This really opens up some possibilities. Doing my own thing will definitely keep me busy until a band opens up. Thanks again.