Musicians That are Better Live than on Album

• Thread starter USMarine75
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Haha. I love Oceanborn, but this was completely accurate back in the day with fans of the band talking to people who didn't like them.
Those people were just fans of Tarja and not of the band. Floor is one of the best female metal vocalists on the planet but the Tarja fans still throw hissy fits over Tarja not being in the band even though she left more than a decade ago. They wouldn't be satisfied with getting any vocalist on the planet who isn't Tarja.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I put on Oceanborn just now to make sure I'm not just talking out my *ss about music I don't know-
and it's the perfect example of what I was thinking. I'd dig this band with a different vocal style, but I just can't handle this kind of singing in this context. Give me actual opera, or power metal with a stronger singer - to my ears these two styles clash too much.
Switched then to Imaginaerum (I assume this is the new singer?) - so much easier to listen to. Some of it kind of makes me think of later Sonata Arctica material.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Back on the proper topic - I used to have the For The Sake of Revenge DVD, and it got tons of play time. Some of the live versions of those tracks sounded much better than the album versions IMO.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Switched then to Imaginaerum (I assume this is the new singer?) - so much easier to listen to. Some of it kind of makes me think of later Sonata Arctica material.
Imaginaerum was with the singer they had previous to the current singer and who the Tarja fans completely lost their mind over because they thought she was too poppy, so she didn't stay with the band for long. Endless Forms Most Beautiful is with the current singer but I honestly think it's not as strong as their older material, they've dialed back the metal a bit. Floor is the perfect combination of the opera vocals of their original vocalist and the pop elements of the previous singer, which is why I think Nightwish are better live than on the albums since they're playing old and new material where Floor can shine.

pott

Reaction score
I had a mixed experience with Nightwish: very good with Annette, super boring with Floor (as I found their last album to be as well).
I like both Tarja and Annette eras; yes the latter is much poppier, but damn there are some catchy tunes on these albums!

wat

Reaction score
Killswitch Engage and In Flames at House of Blues in Orlando.

Both bands sounded like the album on steroids. Crazy clear powerful sound, awesome playing.

Latest posts

')