Must Have DVDs and Books

Adil-2552

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been playing for a little over 3 years, and am primarily self-taught.
Of course, I attended the odd lesson for my first year and soon decided to teach myself using a variety of resources (mainly magazines and friends with playing experience).
All in all, I'd say I'm a fairly well-rounded guitarist. However, I'm not quite satisfied with my playing. I know very little theory, and often find myself in stuck in a rut, my fingers fall into the same positions and I begin to play the same repetitive crap.
I've decided it's time to reevaluate and hone my playing.

I want to learn all the essential theory from scratch (chords, scales, modes, intervals etc), as well as a bunch of techniques.
I ultimately want to understand the relationship between all of the above so I can facilitate the ideas I get. I'm sick of having to guess what note should come next, or even where to find that note without glaring at the fretboard for 30 seconds.

So far people have suggested:
#Various Frank Gambale DVDs
#Metal Method Complete Basic Course
#John Petrucci Rock Discipline
#Doug Doppler 411
#Paul Gilbert DVDs
#Rusty Cooley Fretboard autopsy

What would you recommend? What do you swear by?

Thank you:)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
John Petrucci Rock Discipline is good for technique and any Paul Gilbert DVD.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
I couldn't really add much to the list you've got - those would certainly be my recommendations for the criteria you've listed :)

For more legato playing - anything by Derryl Gabel or Derek Taylor

Tapping - Jennifer Batten, Dave Celentano, parts of Creative Guitar 2

Theory - tricky IMO. There aren't a huge amount of theory books (I'm sure Mike will list a couple that I've forgotten) so I'll go with Tom Kolb and Keith Wyatt (I forget the titles but those are the authors) as fairly comprehensive.

A point to bear in mind is that a web search will often yield masterclasses and lessons from unexpected but equally valid sources so Google really is your friend :)

Patriclese

Reaction score
For theory, I found just doing theory rudiments books (no mention of guitars or any specific instrument) to be the best. It allows you to understand all of it as an overall system rather than an instrument applied concept, which in the long is better for something like theory.

For the guitar instructionals, I recommend:

Guitar Secrets - Joe Satriani
Creative Guitar 1 and 2 - Guthrie Govan
Jazz Chops for Guitar - Buck Brown

And if you're feeling like learning some insanity from time to time:

Just for the Curious - Allan Holdsworth

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
(I'm sure Mike will list a couple that I've forgotten)

You, sir, are correct.

For theory, I found just doing theory rudiments books (no mention of guitars or any specific instrument) to be the best. It allows you to understand all of it as an overall system rather than an instrument applied concept, which in the long is better for something like theory.

:yesway:

Your best bet is to grab a harmony book. I always suggest Kostka and Payne's "Tonal Harmony", and Stefan Kostka's "Materials And Techniques Of Twentieth Century Music".

Really, though, the best way to do it is to try to absorb as much information about music as possible. Knowing the compositional and performance practices over the centuries really helps to organize one's knowledge of music. For instance, you won't find odd meter in a whole lot of Classical (with a capital C) music. That stuff starts creeping in during the late Romantic period, and explodes in the twentieth century. Likewise, early Rock and Roll isn't going to feature extended forms and long instrumental passages, whereas rock during the Psychedelic era and the heyday of Progressive Rock begins to set that trend, and now it is widely accepted in metal. Of course, it's just as important to know the how, as well as the what. Why are jazz tunes from the 1940's all based around a I vi IV V (or I vi ii V) progression, yet modern interpretations of the same tunes have significantly more complex harmony? Duh, back in the 40's, those tunes were pop songs, and now the people who hail them as masterpieces have a more intellectual attitude toward jazz.

What I'm saying is this: no one book or DVD, or even a collection of books and DVD's, is going to give you the sum of musical information out there. Music is ever-changing, and being able to track and relate those changes lends itself more knowledge than anybody could ever tell you otherwise.

Keytarist

Reaction score
I'ld suggest not to stick too much with technique DVDs/books, also try to get a good theory method. Most of the guitar methods apply technique related to some theory, but I believe that that isn't enough.
I learned theory in my music school without an especific method, but I believe that the books by Stefan Kostka are really good, and for reading music (and guitar voicings), go with 'A modern method for guitar' by William Leavitt (also get some Real Books).
1.-The two books by Stefan Kostka.
2.- 'A modern method for guitar' by William Leavitt.
3.- A third book for learning jazz harmony, chord/scale relationship, substitutions, melody harmonization with block chords, etc.. Some of this stuff can be found also in the books above (1.- and 2.-), but a third one will be good as a complement.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Try and find Marty Friedman and George Lynch's OLLLLDDD 80s DVDs if you can. The Rock House DVDs are pretty good, but as far as I know, they are kinda choppy. I guess it's so they can be little videos on your iPod touch or whatever.

And don't forget to buy a few DVDs by some soulful guys as well. Being a well rounded player is the key.

thrickrick

Reaction score
More for theory...too many guys can play squirly but within the confines of boring harmony imo...This is the first and I feel the quickest way to distinguish yourself. As far as the proverbial magic bullet, there isn't one in my experience.

The one book I always end up coming back to:

Mick Goodrick - The Advancing Guitarist...There's a lot in here: Triads, seventh chords and their different inversions w/ drop 2, 3, 2+4 voicings, methods of improvising over chord changes.

Jazz Theory & Harmony - Nettles & Graf

Melodic Improvisation & Jazz Pentatonics- Bruce Saunders...This book will help you get your improv together so you can play over the bar line

The Real Book. Do your best to pick up some tunes and practice within the confines of music. Find some good recordings of tunes that you dig. After internalizing a few tunes there should be a lot less 'digital alternate picking drills' 1234, 2341, 3412, 4123, etc. all on one string, similar to the stuff from Steve Vai's 10 hr. workout or Paul Gilbert videos. Static technique drills for hours on end is nuts to me. :nuts: You really do need to get into real music as possible; there are enough dudes in the world wanking pentatonic(minor from the root...every song, every solo).

If you're having trouble spelling or don't know where you are on the fretboard, there's two good books that use shape and/or form mechanisms to connect the fretboard: Fretboard Logic(CAGED system) and Advanced Rock Improvisation by Jon Finn. The Finn book is essentially a granulated CAGED system, focusing on 4 note, 2 per string geometric shapes that interlock in all directions(diagnal, horizontal, vertical) as opposed to the big giant connected cowboy chords.

To close, I don't think I spent too much time in any one book, except maybe the Goodrick one but that's a book that's for everybody and has a cyclical structure to it that you can do over and over again. It seems odd that I don't remember any of those books really saying very directly what ultimately needs to be faciliated: knowing what chord, scale, and beat you're on no matter what.

freepower

Reaction score
Get the Natural Classical Guitar.

Obviously not great for picking tips but who cares? Great advice for everything else - including practice tips, attitude, performance, left hand...

And as for the theory stuff, don't bother getting all those DVDs. In the time it takes you to watch them you could have learnt the fretboard twice. Do you know the notes of the fretboard yet?

Give me an idea of where you're at and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction. :)

Adil-2552

Reaction score
Get the Natural Classical Guitar.

Obviously not great for picking tips but who cares? Great advice for everything else - including practice tips, attitude, performance, left hand...

And as for the theory stuff, don't bother getting all those DVDs. In the time it takes you to watch them you could have learnt the fretboard twice. Do you know the notes of the fretboard yet?

Give me an idea of where you're at and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction. :)

Yep, learned them recently.
Just want to learn intervals, and all the scales/modes so I can improvise endlessly:p Hehe. In all seriousness, I just want to be a well-rounded player, and improve my lead skills.

freepower

Reaction score
Well, imho, what's important in rock playing is as much phrasing and articulation as note choice. Get a handle on the standard maj/min scale and as long as you have kick ass phrasing and great vibrato you're going to sound fantastic.

That said, I think what's a really effective way of learning is to make sure you finger all your scales multiple ways - and to figure out your own fingerings. It tends to stick better if you work it out. :)

Amiro

Reaction score
Modern method for guitar 1-2-3 Complete
The Guitarist's Guide to Composing and Improvising
The Jazz Theory book
Music theory for dummies / The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory

or Guthries books wich combine a lot of stuff

On the technical side of guitar playing i reccomend The Principles Of Correct Practice For Guitar.

AliceAxe

Reaction score
all the stuff listed here seems like its general information geared toward guitar. Has anyone found any material geared specificaly to 7 string guitar?? I have this Hal Leonard book:

7-String Guitar, Guitar Educational - Hal Leonard Online&

but I realy dislike it, it is mostly chord charts, a lot of which seem physicaly impossible to play, a few phrases at the end that I dont like the sound of at all, nothing that seems very practical.

Its a shame, I have this book by this publisher:
Thrash Guitar Method, Stylistic Method - Hal Leonard Online&

and realy like how it is written.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any artist with lessons/methods that are geared for the 7? I mainly like rock/metal but interested in and play all styles.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Looking over some of the "7 String specific" books they really do take advantage of the fact that (seemingly) some people don't want to make the effort to learn one extra string on their own. If you know your scales/chords then it's a very simple matter to put the required notes on the extra string - especially if it's tuned to "B" :)

McCap

Reaction score
ust want to learn intervals, and all the scales/modes so I can improvise endlessly:p Hehe.
:D
About modes...
...just my opinion:

A
1. Modes are the major scale starting from different notes. But you're always playing your major scale. So learn that everywhere. (Here you can use shapes)
2. Then know your notes on the fretboard.
3. Learn your pentatonic scale and know where to find it in the major scale.
4. For improvising you'll be going a long way with 1. 2. and 3. alone!

B
5. start adding passing tones to the stuff in block A. (chromatic, or bluesnotes etc...)

C.
Do the same stuff you did in block A with another scale (melodic minor, harmonic minor, halfstep-wholestep, or whatever.... you choose. I would say harmonic minor for neoclassical shred, melodic minor for jazzier stuff....)

And the most important thing:
0. Groove, baby!!!:hbang:
Almost anything you play groovin and IN time will be cool. Anything you play without time will suck no matter how unbelievable your note choice is.

Just my two cents :D

Shep1

Reaction score
Frank Gambale - Chopbuilder.

Say Hello to the most technically demanding DVD you will ever experience.

')