Mustaine approached Loomis first before Broaderick

• Thread starter toshiyap
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

st2012

Texas CEO / RHLC
Reaction score
Words can't express how angry I would have been if Loomis had left Nevermore...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ckackley

Reaction score
The real dish for me in that story was Mustaine's opinion on using standard tuning .. His exact quote was " I feel a guitar needs to be tuned to A440 so you can get the correct response out of it. And I believe that if you play some of those low-tuned songs on a guitar in standard tuning, you'll hear that a lot of them don't have good melodies."

Now I think we know why Chris isn't using a 7 .. I like the new Megadeth album a lot, but I think if I had to work with Dave every day one of us would wind up dead.....:lol:

ARC7789

Reaction score
Pretty sure it was cause Dave said he could do better doing his own thing, pretty much "I don't wanna be shown up by a 16 year old"

confirmation: yah basically thats it, not that Mustaine hides the fact he's not the best. The quote (rough quote) Mustaine said was "your too young" as well as saying he'd be an excellent guitarist in the same quote. It'd be kind off awkward having a guy nearly a decade younger then you in your band (not sure Loomis's age) TBH.

side note Dave also SFSGSW era wanted Dimebag as a guitarist but Dime wouldn't take the job without Vinny as drummer and Megadeth already had Nick Menza for drummer

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Somehow, I just don't see Jeff Loomis' current playing style getting along very well with Megadeth nowadays. As we all know, he's huge into his diminished solos, which would just sound awkward with Megadeth. While he could obviously play something else, it wouldn't really be what makes Loomis... Loomis. Either that or he'd have to reach back into the past and seriously channel some Dreaming Neon Black.

I'm not so sure about this though.
Friedman was hardly a run of the mill player in terms of note choice or anything, always playing with exotic lines and stuff.
A lot of the Loomis solos are partly due to the chord progressions behind them.
Clearly he understands theory enough, so if he was put in front of the chord progressions Dave uses, I don't see why he couldn't write an appropriate solo for them.

Samer

Dybbuk
Reaction score
Somehow, I just don't see Jeff Loomis' current playing style getting along very well with Megadeth nowadays. As we all know, he's huge into his diminished solos, which would just sound awkward with Megadeth. While he could obviously play something else, it wouldn't really be what makes Loomis... Loomis. Either that or he'd have to reach back into the past and seriously channel some Dreaming Neon Black.

Exactly what i was thinking, i can see Loomis playing Megadeth material; i mean i am sure he could but it wouldn't sound right to me.

Jag Panzer on the other hand has always been a thrash / power metal band so that transition wasn't such a big deal.

Anyway these days Nevermore is just as big if not bigger than Megadeth, no?

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
Anyway these days Nevermore is just as big if not bigger than Megadeth, no?

No, that's not accurate at all.

The real dish for me in that story was Mustaine's opinion on using standard tuning .. His exact quote was " I feel a guitar needs to be tuned to A440 so you can get the correct response out of it. And I believe that if you play some of those low-tuned songs on a guitar in standard tuning, you'll hear that a lot of them don't have good melodies."

This proves that Mustaine is a complete idiot. I really can't stand him - self-empowered idiots need to see their own stupidity somehow, so as to end it.

toolsound

Reaction score
I was reading that issue of Guitar World on the bus last night. Mustaine is so full of himself. Even when he's being friendly he comes off as though he just loves to hear himself talk.

There's a Jerry Cantrell article in that same issue, which was a great read.

WillingWell

Reaction score
confirmation: yah basically thats it, not that Mustaine hides the fact he's not the best. The quote (rough quote) Mustaine said was "your too young" as well as saying he'd be an excellent guitarist in the same quote. It'd be kind off awkward having a guy nearly a decade younger then you in your band (not sure Loomis's age) TBH.

side note Dave also SFSGSW era wanted Dimebag as a guitarist but Dime wouldn't take the job without Vinny as drummer and Megadeth already had Nick Menza for drummer

I'm pretty sure it was because back then, Dave was still all drugged out and didn't want a kid around. Whether that was a selfish move to have more fun or a benevolent one to prevent Loomis from getting mixed up is a mystery, but that's my take. With the host of incredible guitarists Dave recruits, I doubt he'd be worried about being shown up.

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was because back then, Dave was still all drugged out and didn't want a kid around. Whether that was a selfish move to have more fun or a benevolent one to prevent Loomis from getting mixed up is a mystery, but that's my take. With the host of incredible guitarists Dave recruits, I doubt he'd be worried about being shown up.

+1
I really doubt he worries about being shown up, rather than disrespected.

Reaction score
Well, Mustaine produced Sanctuary before, so his bonds to Nevermore is stronger than a "hired gun seeking Musician". I remember him talking about Loomis, and he was very impressed of their first audition. I remeber him finding Loomis too young to be in a "sex and drugs and Rock'n Roll" envoirment. If you watch the movie "heavy metal years", you might catch how he was against this kind of life anyway.
We have to thank him not accepting Loomis then. Now we have Megadeth's Rust in Peace and Nevermore's wonderful albums.

DaddleCecapitation

Manatees Last Breath
Reaction score

Well, that explains why everything on Youthanasia was tuned a semitone flat...:nuts:

Last edited:
')