Mustaine left Dean and went to Gibson/Epiphone/Kramer

• Thread starter Bdtunn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The design is great. Like stated it's designed to have little to no friction

Buuut just the way it's shaped is weird. It just reminds me of a cheap no brand guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
The strings go in a straight line through the nut which makes it the most functional design there is. No friction = no tuning issues. Sure not as cool looking as ESP or Jackson but 'technically' it is one of the best designs out there.

There is a fuck tonne of straight string pull designs out there. The dean variant just looks cheap, like it came off a store brand guitar.

manu80

Reaction score
Geez you guys are hard on Dean...there as good as schecter or other brand around quality wise for the one I have/had. Their design/look may raise eyebrows but at least they're different....
See you pissed me off i bought a USA Z time capsule...well done

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
Geez you guys are hard on Dean...there as good as schecter or other brand around quality wise for the one I have/had. Their design/look may raise eyebrows but at least they're different....
See you pissed me off i bought a USA Z time capsule...well done

Dean headstocks and inlays are my biggest issue with the company. Aesthetics are just a bit gaudy for me. Happy they are doing their thing.

The ML, the Z, and the Cadillac are all usually winners in my book.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dean is the Ed Hardy of guitars

Hasn't really been that bad in a good while, like a decade, especially since jettisoning some of the bigger signature model offenders.

They mostly just make fairly classy, traditional variants of thier primary shapes (V, Z, Cadi, etc.).

They've also really rolled back on the Dime models and have been doing affordable USA runs.

I really think they've finally gotten thier shit together.

Shredrrr

Reaction score
I dig everything about these except the inlays. Seems like a pretty good merge between what Dave likes and what Gibson does on the XPL Vs. Like many metal guitarists things get less pointy with age. Hell Kirk Hammett pretty much plays a 59 les paul as his main guitar nowadays. I'd like to point out we're getting actual Seymour Duncans in these unlike the Slash models, that's a nice touch. Kramer should check the box for his classic signature. Time will tell on the price.

Too bad I just bought a Gibson 70's V to "Hetfield" out, don't tell Uncle Dave lol.

v1nter

Reaction score
this Zero looks killer. Saw a tiger eye one in germany that looked killer too. There are 2 trans black usa VMNT one on RJV and ebay right now that looks great too
Yup i have one of those too. These were the first USA models made in 2008 as limited run. Trans black, amber and red if im not mistaken.
Deans USA stuff is on par with everyone else, including Gibson. And more affordable too.
Also i really dont get the problem with the 6 in line headstock, it looks really good to me. Kiesel literally has the same headstock on some of their models too.

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
Just saw that dean is selling rebadged vmnt shaped guitars in their select series as the vengeance model. Zeros too but they haven't had a name change. So much for taking the designs with him.

manu80

Reaction score
Just saw that dean is selling rebadged vmnt shaped guitars in their select series as the vengeance model. Zeros too but they haven't had a name change. So much for taking the designs with him.

where did you see that « vengeance » model ?, cant find it

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Yup i have one of those too. These were the first USA models made in 2008 as limited run. Trans black, amber and red if im not mistaken.
Deans USA stuff is on par with everyone else, including Gibson. And more affordable too.
Also i really dont get the problem with the 6 in line headstock, it looks really good to me. Kiesel literally has the same headstock on some of their models too.
The problem is not the in-line headstock...it's the other humongous monstrosity they call headstock
Which, by the way, it's not a problem of shape, it's a problem of size

Reactions: X1X

Pat

Reaction score
I don't get why people hate the Dean headstock but don't mind the pointy PRS headstock?

The Dean custom shop is awesome just for the wiring alone - check out airborne5150 on Instagram

Celtic Frosted Flakes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't get why people hate the Dean headstock but don't mind the pointy PRS headstock?

Didn't know about the PRS pointy headstock except the Dan Spitz one he got as a joke. It can't be a lot of PRS pointy headstocks out there?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Didn't know about the PRS pointy headstock except the Dan Spitz one he got as a joke. It can't be a lot of PRS pointy headstocks out there?

It's only available on Private Stocks, so I doubt if there's more than a couple dozen in existence.

warhead

Reaction score
Your problem
Not Dave's

Honestly I can't get how someone can move from ESP to Dean, even with bags of money involved
ESP is just another planet of quality, brand appeal and promotion

I'd guess Dave is at a point in his career when he did enough things for the promotion, and wants to take cash for the work done
so far.
We can't know his reasons for a 100%, but I guess it is always the safest to bet that whatever any pro is doing, they're doing it for the cash.

')