Mustaine left Dean and went to Gibson/Epiphone/Kramer

• Thread starter Bdtunn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

I play music

Reaction score
He doesn't seem to own anythg guitar design related.

Owning shapes is sort of difficult, giant guitar brands can barely do it.

Not sure who started that rumor. :lol:
Probably it started with the Abasi Ibanez where someone claimed Abasi owned the shape and not Ibanez. But my guess is anyone who would want to could make that shape.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probably it started with the Abasi Ibanez where someone claimed Abasi owned the shape and not Ibanez. But my guess is anyone who would want to could make that shape.

There's a difference between a somewhat unique* shape and a very derivitive V and psudeo-Explorer.

*Not debating the Abasi shape, that's been well beaten to death. :lol:

Kobalt

Reaction score

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The only design he potentially has rights on would be his ESP Axxion, which was........interesting, to say the least, and doubt anyone would take away from him regardless. :lol:

Mustaine: Im leaving and I'm taking my Axxion with me!!!!
ESP:
stop_dont_come_back_willy_wonka.gif

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When Mustaine left ESP, he claimed he took his designs with him.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/for...337-dave-mustaine-dropped-the-esp-endorsement

It's also interesting going back and seeing this press release. It seems like he always intended on redoing the roundhorn.

Read it again. Very careful word choice used. He probably owns* very small, mostly aesthetic flourishes, which is how this usually works.

*Because he owns it in some way doesn't mean he own owns it. It would have to hold its ground if challenged.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Read it again. Very careful word choice used. He probably owns* very small, mostly aesthetic flourishes, which is how this usually works.

*Because he owns it in some way doesn't mean he own owns it. It would have to hold its ground if challenged.

I'm not saying he owned it. He obviously didn't own anything since ESP still makes the V. I'm saying that's probably how the rumor started because he's been down this road before.

Zhysick

Reaction score
Isn't the Kramer going to be built in the Gibson factory? I think I saw that they used the #MadeInUSA tag when posting about it on Instagram.

There hasn't been USA made Kramers in ages... like a 3 decades actually. Even in the MusicYo era there were no USA made Kramers...

I don't know. I don't expect a USA Kramer nowadays BUT if Dave is making this happen then he will earn the love of a lot of people (not me, I don't fucking care about MIA, MII, MIC, MIJ...)

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There hasn't been USA made Kramers in ages... like a 3 decades actually. Even in the MusicYo era there were no USA made Kramers...

I don't know. I don't expect a USA Kramer nowadays BUT if Dave is making this happen then he will earn the love of a lot of people (not me, I don't fucking care about MIA, MII, MIC, MIJ...)

They did do some USA stuff in the late 90's from mostly leftover NJ stock. But not much.

The last time they were consistently made in USA was late 86', maybe into 87' depending on whose recollection you trust more. :lol:

That said, this would be a good time to revive the marquee if so. I don't think they'll do it either, but it's not like they don't have the manufacturing ability.

Zhysick

Reaction score
So at least 30 years except for some oddballs made from NJ leftovers... Yeah, that sounds right :lol:

Kramer i great brand, a big name, I like it. I wanted so hard to have Vanguard back in the day and when I finally got it I didn't like it... Sad story, I know.

But the new Nightswans are interesting as some others like the Barettas. I wouldn't mind a Mustaine V actually, is beautiful, but I not going to pay USA prices anyway but I would be very happy if Kramer star having USA models again because the brand deserve it. Iconic.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
So....ive never actually seen an Axxion before just now (i dont really follow Mustaine or Megadeth). Wow. Ugly. I know ESP custom shop can make some fuck ugly guitars that look like a shredded beef taco or a slice of pepperoni pizza but those I viewed as gimmick guitars...that one was free to make a guitar as ugly as your wallet would allow but now I have a homework assignment to see how something this ugly got made. Lemme just type “axxion” into the search and...

mastapimp

Reaction score

There were some 2020 NAMM Kramer guitars that the MusicZoo was selling for around 5K with custom paint jobs. The certificate for the 84 states they're "USA assembled."

')