Mustaine left Dean and went to Gibson/Epiphone/Kramer

• Thread starter Bdtunn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zhysick

Reaction score
There were some 2020 NAMM Kramer guitars that the MusicZoo was selling for around 5K with custom paint jobs. The certificate for the 84 states they're "USA assembled."

Ok, I mean "normal MIA Kramer guitars like back in the day" not some custom or special NAMM limited but I did not know about those NAMM models you say: it would be cool if Kramer starts a USA line at some point, lots of people will want to buy them, specially a Nightswan, a 84 or a Baretta.

And USA assembled is far from what people would considerate MiA. SOME musicYo ones were supposed to be like that, like my Vanguard... Those were the top of the line of those years with USA made pickups and hardware (Duncan pickups, original FR) and assembled and QC in USA but still made in... Korea? Don't remember...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Mortician

Ninja Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, I mean "normal MIA Kramer guitars like back in the day" not some custom or special NAMM limited but I did not know about those NAMM models you say: it would be cool if Kramer starts a USA line at some point, lots of people will want to buy them, specially a Nightswan, a 84 or a Baretta.

And USA assembled is far from what people would considerate MiA. SOME musicYo ones were supposed to be like that, like my Vanguard... Those were the top of the line of those years with USA made pickups and hardware (Duncan pickups, original FR) and assembled and QC in USA but still made in... Korea? Don't remember...

From what I remember, all the USA Kramer stuff was built by ESP Japan and assembled in the Kramer factory - can anyone confirm?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
From what I remember, all the USA Kramer stuff was built by ESP Japan and assembled in the Kramer factory - can anyone confirm?

It wasn't "all" ESP until the late 80's, and started around 84'. So almost anything prior to 85' was actually made in the USA, with it being a mix for about three years, until ESP was doing all the manufacturing in 87' onwards.

VMNT

Reaction score
Got to love that slogan. They should have called those inlays the eye of the tornado :lol:
veng.JPG

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Got to love that slogan. They should have called those inlays the eye of the tornado :lol:
View attachment 90981

I mean in Dave's defense, he tries to leave companies on good terms. At least publicly. He never tried to shit-talk ESP or Dean, and even tries to be humble about leaving Jackson as well these days.

Soooo it's interesting seeing Dean go this route. :lol:

Metal Mortician

Ninja Lurker
Reaction score
I mean, it’s a V shape so “Vengeance” makes sense.

Just putting this quote here because all this talk about Vs really makes me want to watch/read V for Vendetta again:

“But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the more commonplace sobriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis persona. Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it’s my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.”

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Just had a look at the guitars, the Gibsons are, weeeeell, meh. I like flying Vs, own one, I like bananas, I own 3 explorers, but together... not for me. Maybe it if was reversed. And they don't have anything to do with Mustaine and Megadeth save for the color of the silver one.
The Kramer is, well, the same old King V with a cool headstock. I'd have been all over it 15 years ago.

Metal Mortician

Ninja Lurker
Reaction score
upload_2021-3-3_23-46-21.png

Cannot recall where I’ve seen a thrash player sporting a V with a banana headstock. Authentically 25 years late, Gibson.
FWIW, that KK ESP also leaps and bounds ahead of his current Dean stylistically. I would love to see ESP do a non-endorsed re-issue akin to the Vernon Reid M. If ESP can use a banana headstock on the Lynch Kamikaze, then they should be able to put one on a new NV.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
View attachment 91035

Cannot recall where I’ve seen a thrash player sporting a V with a banana headstock. Authentically 25 years late, Gibson.
FWIW, that KK ESP also leaps and bounds ahead of his current Dean stylistically. I would love to see ESP do a non-endorsed re-issue akin to the Vernon Reid M. If ESP can use a banana headstock on the Lynch Kamikaze, then they should be able to put one on a new NV.

They did and called it the NV, but it didn't have the crackle or the nanner head stock. Wish they'd redo it and make it more authentic

BenSolace

Divine Solace
Reaction score
The black rounded V looks great, very reminiscent of the Y2KV I had years ago (before a "friend" broke the neck on it :rant:). I'm sure when he left ESP he made a statement about taking the designs with him and coming out with the Axxion, Y2KV and classic KV shapes with Dean. I guess nobody since Jackson wanted to take Gibson on with the rounded V shape.

Since Jackson, Dave has a way of adding just one element to his guitars that turns me off them - with ESP it was the pickguard, with Dean it was the V-plate and now with Gibson it's both the V-plate and the stop tailpiece, depending on the model. Give me the individual string-thru ferrules any day!

I wonder if the rounded V will be 25.5" like all his other guitars?

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
Oh wow what a rollercoaster of a thread...

I love how the irrational Gibson hate just seeps in everywhere.

As a guy who loves V guitars I like the acoustic the most.

No real issues with the others just I'm not a diehard Mustaine guy so they just didn't move me.

But yeah hilarious to see the vitriol about taking the evil money from Gibson when the dude has hopped brands a few times.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
I love how the irrational Gibson hate just seeps in everywhere.

I mean, a lot of the criticisms of Gibson now days are certainly pretty accurate. Their entire brand from build quality to pricing has been a joke for quite some time.

So would I say irrational? That depends on how much people hate them I guess. Unfounded? Absolutely not.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
I mean, a lot of the criticisms of Gibson now days are certainly pretty accurate. Their entire brand from build quality to pricing has been a joke for quite some time.

So would I say irrational? That depends on how much people hate them I guess. Unfounded? Absolutely not.

I don't mean to derail thread but build quality has been dramatically better since about 2012 .

And comments like Mustaine's playing being too articulate for a Les Paul. Or Gibson necks all being baseball bats as if they don't have more than one neck profile option or the ability to make something to spec.

And also in terms of pricing they are basically in line with most USA based builders. They may make instruments not to your taste but there were lots of boogeyman esque vibes being thrown around.

Latest posts

')