Mustaine left Dean and went to Gibson/Epiphone/Kramer

• Thread starter Bdtunn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VMNT

Reaction score
Wth is going on with the neck joint area on the black guitar?
Looks like a 1st day, blind, apprentice using a welder after frying their eyes.
The rest of the paint job must have been done by a toddler.

Gibson was never great at finishing flat bodies but it could be a reworked proto.
mustaine_gibson4.jpg

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
... I'd say that the original photoshoot is the real problem here. Bad photos can't deliver miracles... just bad images.

Matt08642

Reaction score

I think Dave is sitting next to something that casts a shadow/is not in direct sunlight, but the guitar was held perpendicular to the camera lens and caught a reflection in the distance of sunlight.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Looks like a 1st day, blind, apprentice using a welder after frying their eyes.

The rest of the paint job must have been done by a toddler.
This is how Gibson "standard" Nashville builds Flying V bodies since the late 80s/early 90s whenever the standard model "67 reissue" came out. from the end of the fretboard to where the neck meets the body, the whole top of the body is cut at an angle perpendicular to the angle of the fretboard so that the fretboard can sit flat on the body surface. Basically what you are seeing is the light hitting that bevel. They do this to keep the bridge height from being too high with the angled neck I am guessing. Original Norlin Vs didn't have the neck angle or the bevel on the front of the body. This was on my triple pickup black faded Flying V from around 08 as well.

I can guarantee the same bevel is on the second guitar he is holding as well. You just can't see it because the light isn't reflecting on it properly. I never ever noticed it until I had my own in my hands.

VMNT

Reaction score
This is how Gibson "standard" Nashville builds Flying V bodies since the late 80s/early 90s whenever the standard model "67 reissue" came out. from the end of the fretboard to where the neck meets the body, the whole top of the body is cut at an angle perpendicular to the angle of the fretboard so that the fretboard can sit flat on the body surface.

I had no idea about this. Clearly visible on a bound body. Cutting corners, literally...
upload_2021-7-21_15-33-30.png

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
I had no idea about this. Clearly visible on a bound body. Cutting corners, literally...
View attachment 95758
It's because their "67 reissue" (standard Nashville not the custom shop version) is a mishmash of different shit. 80s body with a 67 "style" pickguard. 50s style neck and headstock. The original 60s headstock shape was wider and longer with shallower angles. It was cut short in 69 to make it into the 70s headstock we all know and love from scorpions to Metallica.

The 58 neck and neck angle isn't compatible with the deeper neck joint of the 67 body so it was forced to fit by beveling it. Look at the neck joint on the 58 V and you'll see the shoulders are much closer to the end of the fretboard so the angle is possible without the bevel on top.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Kinda-sorta related but I noticed a few days ago that Jeff Waters was talking about his Jackson KVs on his Facebook page and how they didn't want to give him an endorsement (or in his words, "work together"). But he seems like he's teasing wanting to work with Dean guitars. Seems like he'd be a good guy to be the flag-bearer for the Vengeance/VMNT shape.

221715059_10157929182612484_8568175337207340407_n.jpg

"Sometimes, it's good to take a break from endorsement deals, so you can play anything you want and get it out of your system!
1f642.png

First tour playin this new Jackson and they rocked. Used 2 of em with Evertune's on them and contacted them to see if they wanted to work together. They weren't interested! Almost 2 years on, I'm diggin DEAN Guitars and they have some killer looking Vees coming out now. Hmmm.
1f642.png
"

Viginez

Reaction score
in that second pic, the headstock seems "angled"?

VMNT

Reaction score
But he seems like he's teasing wanting to work with Dean guitars. Seems like he'd be a good guy to be the flag-bearer for the Vengeance/VMNT shape.

I wouldn't be surprised since Jeff is a fan of Mustaine Vs. I remember a clip where he was showing and playing his DV8-R and VMNT. Great player and a very humble and cool dude.
I think that the Vengeance series won't need much endorsing though. Dean really knocked it out of the park with the aesthetics and specs.

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised since Jeff is a fan of Mustaine Vs. I remember a clip where he was showing and playing his DV8-R and VMNT. Great player and a very humble and cool dude.
I think that the Vengeance series won't need much endorsing though. Dean really knocked it out of the park with the aesthetics and specs.

It does look cool, I agree. Much better than the VMNTs. But in a sea of pointy V's, it could probably get lost in the shuffle. Although being one of the few Vs with an Evertune can be a selling point. With that said, I still think Jeff using a Vengeance could still help a bit. I know he's not the biggest name ever, but he still probably has some clout. But god, don't go overly-sig like they did with his Epiphones. :lol:

Although that's... pretty much his thing.

big_waters.jpg

jeff_with_ran_invader_red.jpg

')