Mustaine left Dean and went to Gibson/Epiphone/Kramer

• Thread starter Bdtunn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The grain showing through is 100% intentional. It's a very marmite design choice.

Yeeeah I'm not a fan of it. I think it would have looked good if it was an open grain satin finish like the back of the Gibson Paul Landers, to really give it that raw wood look and feel... But with the poly metallic gloss, it just looks weird.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
Yeeeah I'm not a fan of it. I think it would have looked good if it was an open grain satin finish like the back of the Gibson Paul Landers, to really give it that raw wood look and feel... But with the poly metallic gloss, it just looks weird.

Agreed. One of the many reasons I prefer the natural gloss finish.

VMNT

Reaction score
Dave's crib seems pretty cosy. Some of those prototypes (?) look really cool, the bottom row in particular.

Daves Protos.jpg

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
Dude, the 2 black ones in the middle.

EDIT: Wait that top left one isn't a Prophecy V. Whoops. I'm curious if that was a prototype for the Prophecy line or Dave was considering used a standard Stoptail and Fluence pickups.

It's the binding on the body neck and headstock and the pickup covers that set those off.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

VMNT

Reaction score
My understanding is that since the announcement 2 years ago, they produced only 26 of those Vs (13 natural and 13 in silver finish) One would think that a QA check of that first pre-release batch would have been a good idea...

Last edited:

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
ah ah. So it got defects (nut crack for a brand new guitar at 2800 euros awesome), inlay bit missing, sanding marks on the binding but 3500 euros now ? FFS...people...
https://reverb.com/fr/item/48817039...staine-signature-flying-v-exp-silver-metallic

I'd be angry if he didnt disclose everything, but if there is someone out there who wants to pay that money for a guitar where he has been extremely thorough and forthcoming about the flaws then what's the problem?

Trogly knows the market value of Gibsons pretty well. If he's selling it for that price, then it's likely someone will pay that much for it. Gibson fanatics are a very different breed.

X1X

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My understanding is that since the announcement 2 years ago, they produced only 26 of those Vs (13 natural and 13 in silver finish) One would think that a QA check of that first pre-release batch would have been a good idea...

There's a QC checklist included and every item was checked. What's your issue buddy :)

Matt08642

Reaction score

It's Gibson... Lol.

From the hundreds of Trogly videos I've watched where he takes guitars from many eras apart, Gibsons just seem to lean on the sloppy side more often than not.

VMNT

Reaction score
Dude, the 2 black ones in the middle.

EDIT: Wait that top left one isn't a Prophecy V. Whoops. I'm curious if that was a prototype for the Prophecy line or Dave was considering used a standard Stoptail and Fluence pickups.

Turns out it's all prototypes in that photo. The two top left are Epiphone, top right - Kramer, three bottom left - Custom Shop and the green is standard USA (wish they have kept it the way it is here).
Here is a close-up of the trans top with repulsive amount of gold - YMMV.

gold.jpg

Last edited:

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Are the Kramers imports or USA made?
We don't know yet, but the assumption is that there will be both. The Gibson/Epiphones are the round horns and the Kramers are pointy. If the photo above is anything to go on, the dots on the silver Kramer mean it is an import and and the sharkfins on the natural one mean it is USA.

All speculation of course, but that's all we know.

')