Mustaine left Dean and went to Gibson/Epiphone/Kramer

• Thread starter Bdtunn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
You mean those goofy textured necks? He's been trying it since the DBZ days.

I think everything is made in China now, and then assembled stateside.

Nah I mean more that LP shape with the raise “Figure 8” shape due to the way it’s cut. It’s a neat-looking LP, imo. I can’t imagine the Z-glide being any different than a matte finish. If it doesn’t tessellate my thumb it ain’t for me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
This is from some sort of livestream or something that Cesar from Gibson did recently. Look at the guitar all the way to the right...

View attachment 88345
I wonder how Gibson is gonna deal with Jackson given that the guitar in the background and a King V and almost identical. Then again, Gibson is the one who created the Flying V shape.

It actually would be kinda cool to see Dave play a Gibson Flying V.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wonder how Gibson is gonna deal with Jackson given that the guitar in the background and a King V and almost identical.

Nothing. Nothing will happen.

The only thing that FMIC tends to own is the outlines to the headstocks, and decades of lax enforcement means that they don't quite have a claim. This isn't a small builder, Gibson would have the resources to follow through with a legal challenge.

Jackson doesn't just own pointy Vs, and even if they sort of do, there's always a chance a judge won't quite see it that way.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing. Nothing will happen.

The only thing that FMIC tends to own is the outlines to the headstocks, and decades of lax enforcement means that they don't quite have a claim. This isn't a small builder, Gibson would have the resources to follow through with a legal challenge.

Jackson doesn't just own pointy Vs, and even if they sort of do, there's always a chance a judge won't quite see it that way.

Didn't FMIC go after ESP and forced them to change the shape of the Alexi V's for the international market? The Japanese ones are identical dimensions to a Rhoads where as the international ones are larger.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Also IIRC Jackson never did anything about the ESP DV/V shape, even though it's practically a Double Rhoads.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I got on fine with Chris when he was at Jackson, and a lot of the Jackson crew jumped ship with him and went to ESP (including Mille :( ). So probably not.

Gotcha well if he is good at his job and artist go with him, then he definitely is not a problem. Just things I saw in my own line of work and thought some things paralleled them.

So what exactly is going on over there at Dean? I have not heard much that has gone on over there recently but I have been out of the guitar loop for a second.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Gotcha well if he is good at his job and artist go with him, then he definitely is not a problem. Just things I saw in my own line of work and thought some things paralleled them.

So what exactly is going on over there at Dean? I have not heard much that has gone on over there recently but I have been out of the guitar loop for a second.

It does seem like theyre trying to distance themself from the constant signature graphics and constant Dimebag models of yesteryear and focusing on improving/expanding their core lineup.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Didn't FMIC go after ESP and forced them to change the shape of the Alexi V's for the international market? The Japanese ones are identical dimensions to a Rhoads where as the international ones are larger.

I wouldn't say a strongly worded letter is "going after". The Japanese firms are especially averse to going to [American] court, they all remember the 80's.

There are just things not worth fighting for on the off chance a septuagearian judge doesn't care about random guitar bullshit and you now have to complete discontinue a whole line and possibly pay out.

Since 2012 Armadillo has owned and run the Dean brand. Under DZ they were hemorrhaging money, so they've been restructuring thier lineup for less fluff and a smaller core of production guitars while focusing on the custom shop.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I believe Jackson sued ESP over their headstock many moons ago. That's more distinctive though. I highly doubt anyone is suing over a body shape, unless it's Gibson. All Gibson wold need to do is make the V angle even slightly different to avoid it, I believe.

Though it would be hilarious for Jackson to do it after Gibson sued them back in the day to stop them from doing explorers, I believe.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
He can go wherever he wants, th eimportant thing is that he doesn't drag Kiko from where he is.
Besides the big names (Satch and Vai), Kiko is the only one having a good metal-strat-ish at Ibby
(Paul Waggoner too, but it's technically an S and he's not as big as Kiko)

Edika

Reaction score
A Kramer would make more sense than a Gibson. Aside from being with Jackson, ESP has mid tier and high tier models and Dean had all three tier models so fans could get their hands on his sig without paying a lot of coin. I mean those who would buy the high end models would still do that but he tapped a lot more buyers with the other tiers.
While Gibson does have made in USA guitars that are quite cheap compared to other companies, I don't think they can do Dave's signs on a budget, the profit margins would be too low. Plus I think his guitars have had poly finishes mainly and not nitro.

Kramer can do low and mid tier guitars that will have Dave's specs, have more modern specs and construction and give him more profit per sale. For US made ones not sure what they'll do but we'll see.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
The Japanese ones are identical dimensions to a Rhoads
Nope. Try getting one to fit in a jackson case. The whole body is larger than a RR and has a cutaway on the treble side for upper fret access. The USA version took their already bigger body and lengthened the lower wing slightly.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A Kramer would make more sense than a Gibson. Aside from being with Jackson, ESP has mid tier and high tier models and Dean had all three tier models so fans could get their hands on his sig without paying a lot of coin. I mean those who would buy the high end models would still do that but he tapped a lot more buyers with the other tiers.
While Gibson does have made in USA guitars that are quite cheap compared to other companies, I don't think they can do Dave's signs on a budget, the profit margins would be too low. Plus I think his guitars have had poly finishes mainly and not nitro.

Kramer can do low and mid tier guitars that will have Dave's specs, have more modern specs and construction and give him more profit per sale. For US made ones not sure what they'll do but we'll see.

Epiphone exists. :lol:

Weren't kramers made by esp anyway?

Many were. Depends on the model and year.

Usually ESP just made the parts and they were assembled in the US. Pensa-Suhr started that way too.

')