MXR Wylde Overdrive

• Thread starter groph
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groph

Reaction score
I hear these overdrives aren't quite so transparent.

If there are any users out there, could you elaborate a bit? How does this pedal color your tone, if at all?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nick1

Reaction score
Its based between an OD and a Dist. Nice mid range crunch and its not too mid heavy to where it gets honky sounding. And MXR unknowing to their customers made another OD called the MXR Custom Shop OD that has the same exact board as the ZWOD! The only difference is that the CSOD has as mini switch inside that adds a slight boost, thus turning it into a ZWOD. When you open up the CSOD it even says Zakk Wylde OD on it. The ZWOD Does NOT have the mini switch. So get the CSOD instead.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
I love the ZW-44. It adds just enough bite to your tone that it seems to be able to make any amp into a metal monster. It's not perfectly transparent, but the bit of midrange richness it adds is only for the better, IMHO.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
Its a pretty noisey one.

Its based between an OD and a Dist. Nice mid range crunch and its not too mid heavy to where it gets honky sounding. And MXR unknowing to their customers made another OD called the MXR Custom Shop OD that has the same exact board as the ZWOD! The only difference is that the CSOD has as mini switch inside that adds a slight boost, thus turning it into a ZWOD. When you open up the CSOD it even says Zakk Wylde OD on it. The ZWOD Does NOT have the mini switch. So get the CSOD instead.

HA! Thats very interesting! Here in Australia the Custom Shop OD is cheaper than the ZW.

:noplease:

Reaction score
if you have a good amp you dont need that kind of boost

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
what do you mean by noisey?
i love mine to death and its not noisey?

When I was trying out od's I tried a few different ones and the ZW was the noisiest.

Maybe it was shop soiled. But I think it is has the most output out of any od that I've tried. like a 6505, it has a fuck wad of gain therefore noisey. The ZW has a fuck wad of output and crunch therefore its noisier.

Maybe you don't notice it anymore, I don't know. Most od's are noisey, I just think the ZW is more noisey. :agreed:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a boost, permanently on, in front of a mesa boogie roadster.

Does my amp suck?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, and not to stay off topic too much, but I've always wondered why, if we all boost our amps, why don't they just make that kind of built in?:scratch:

Dylan S

Reaction score
Well having a boost built in defeats the ability of trying out different boosts and finding the one which suits your sound best.

A lot of amps are very expensive as is and having a built in boost could add extra cost and also extra complexity to the circuitry.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
Well having a boost built in defeats the ability of trying out different boosts and finding the one which suits your sound best.

A lot of amps are very expensive as is and having a built in boost could add extra cost and also extra complexity to the circuitry.

People also use boosts in different ways. :cool:

Dylan S

Reaction score
That, and also a lot of people use the amps without boosts because they don't have the need. A lot of rock players use rectifiers and a boost isn't necessary really when playing that stuff, or at least nowhere near as necessary as it were if they were playing metal. For those players, added circuitry could add more noise to the amp, and a fesature they will never use only makes the amp more expensive to buy.

I am always a fan of amps being bare bones awesome tone, and then you add whatever else you want to it to make it suit your style.

People always argue "why don't amps have built in boosts", but really, it isn't much different to why a lot of good amps don't have buit in delays/choruses/flange/etc. People want to make the choice for themselves, and built in stuff is usually of much lower quality.

Back on track, I use a Zakk Wylde OD with my amps and it sounds fantastic.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
That, and also a lot of people use the amps without boosts because they don't have the need. A lot of rock players use rectifiers and a boost isn't necessary really when playing that stuff, or at least nowhere near as necessary as it were if they were playing metal. For those players, added circuitry could add more noise to the amp, and a fesature they will never use only makes the amp more expensive to buy.

I am always a fan of amps being bare bones awesome tone, and then you add whatever else you want to it to make it suit your style.

People always argue "why don't amps have built in boosts", but really, it isn't much different to why a lot of good amps don't have buit in delays/choruses/flange/etc. People want to make the choice for themselves, and built in stuff is usually of much lower quality.

Back on track, I use a Zakk Wylde OD with my amps and it sounds fantastic.

Wow, thanks! That's the best explanation I've heard about that, and yeah, it makes total sense - esp since I like the a la carte approach with pedals, etc. myself.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The MXR ZWOD is nice, but for those looking for a cheaper alternative thats badass and more along the lines of a classic Tube Screamer, I'd recommend the MXR GT-OD. I've sold a couple of those to forum members and they've loved it. I really dig it too. If I didn't already have a Chaos Mod TS7 I would snag one myself.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
The non boosting approach is used by some post metal acts.
I believe the band Pelican doesn't use a boost in order to a achieve a looser, sludgier sound to suit the music.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
The MXR ZWOD is nice, but for those looking for a cheaper alternative thats badass and more along the lines of a classic Tube Screamer, I'd recommend the MXR GT-OD. I've sold a couple of those to forum members and they've loved it. I really dig it too. If I didn't already have a Chaos Mod TS7 I would snag one myself.

This. :agreed:

TasmanSam

Reaction score
if tube amps had an overdrive pedal thing built into it, guitarists would just chuck an OD pedal infront it anyway to see how it sounds doubly-boosted?
grammar fail but you get my point.

Latest posts

')