My 2nd Guitar build... Fanned Fret 8 string

• Thread starter TimSE
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
:metal: This 8 is going to be GOTM for sure when it's all done! Can't wait to see it finished!

cheers dude! that would be awesomely cool! was really pleased when my Bullet got nominated last month (and this!)
hopfully my job situation will sort itself out and il be able to get it underway!

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
So i templated the finger board and headstock and cut all the shizz out:

PICT2777.jpg

PICT2778.jpg

the body seems a lil small ... BUT i think thats just an illution thing cus of the extra thickness of the neck. I remember my Intrepids body being massive (and very heavy) which i didnt like. so i think i might make it a tiny bit wide and maybe make the upper horn a bit wider from the neck but not much else other than that.
As you can see from the pics its about the same as my Bullet, which is about what im after.
its like TILs 8string. the body wasnt in proportion to the neck size which i think suited it perfectly.
il have a sketch around tho

thoughts?

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
The upper horn area looks uncomfortable as hell, besides that :yesway:

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Mental, it reminds me of those old Ergo guitars one of the senior members here has/had, but on some sort of fucked up acid trip to hell. I agree once you get to 8 strings guitars start to benefit from having slightly smaller or less traditionally shaped bodies, when I eventually get round to getting a fanned 8 I want something organic looking.

My 2 pence(!) is, if it was my body I'd probably get rid of that little pointy bit just past the arm rest so it's just a curve, or perhaps have it mirror the upper horn to keep it pointy, so it's like a smaller version of it. I'd also give it something of a lower horn, if only an allusion to one (something like your first build but less pronounced). Obviously this would alter the bevels slightly too. Bar that it's a sick shape.

Andrew_B

Reaction score
the arm contour looks like its going to be it the way of the bridge of your top bass string....

reminds me of these....

CONTURE1.jpg

:D

PICT2777a.jpg

ralphy1976

1 less ERGNESS
Reaction score
i like the suggested bottom horn part (by Andrew_b) i think it gives more balance to the overall look of the guitar.

Having said that , maybe it is because it makes it look more "conventional" and if you want something which will stick in people's minds your original design is what to go for.

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
dude, lovely.

very much my kind of guitar. and black, too? excellent choice.

and by the way, i think the size is ideal, nowhere near too small.

H

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
I actually prefer the original design. A lower horn will not contribute to the sound (it may actually inhibit some people's upper fret access) and adding it would remove a bit of the instrument's off-the-wall uniqueness IMO. :)

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
dude, lovely.

very much my kind of guitar. and black, too? excellent choice.

and by the way, i think the size is ideal, nowhere near too small.

H

Green top but lots of black yes :D
i was thinking about your Roter and how the body isnt that big at all and fits perfectly .... yis
i think il make the upper horn a lil wider from the neck but keep the body about the same :yesway:

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
I actually prefer the original design. A lower horn will not contribute to the sound (it may actually inhibit some people's upper fret access) and adding it would remove a bit of the instrument's off-the-wall uniqueness IMO. :)

i completely agree.
with a lower horn added, it just looks like something BC rich might make.
without the lower horn, it looks sleek and original and really good, too.

though i'm still worried about the picking arm contour being too sharp and uncomfortable.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
i completely agree.
with a lower horn added, it just looks like something BC rich might make.
without the lower horn, it looks sleek and original and really good, too.

though i'm still worried about the picking arm contour being too sharp and uncomfortable.

Pretty much ya! with teh lower horn i think it looks "Normal" if you get what i mean. looks like something anyone could design by just adding some spikiness to a common shape.
im definitely wanting something that you dont see everyday.

well if i hold the template to my body as if i was playing it, my wrist comes across the middle of teh back cutaway so there wont be any thing (wood wise) that will be in teh way and uncomfortable

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
well if i hold the template to my body as if i was playing it, my wrist comes across the middle of teh back cutaway so there wont be any thing (wood wise) that will be in teh way and uncomfortable

i don't mean the arm cut-out itself, but the contour you're putting on the top of the body there. with the angle instead of a smooth curve. my own arm/wrist tends to pivot right around there so that angle would be digging into me.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
i don't mean the arm cut-out itself, but the contour you're putting on the top of the body there. with the angle instead of a smooth curve. my own arm/wrist tends to pivot right around there so that angle would be digging into me.

hmm i see what u mean
but i just think it looks too smooth and boring without it so :shrug:

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
this business of the lack of lower horn is something i followed on my roter, the main inspiration being barrillon basses. beautiful.

H

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
this business of the lack of lower horn is something i followed on my roter, the main inspiration being barrillon basses. beautiful.

H

ooo ya they are nice. I like the looks of the cutaways on the Ibanez Exoticwood acoustic range

')