My 2nd Guitar build... Fanned Fret 8 string

• Thread starter TimSE
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
...actually...
I do like the spalt version with the black edges... With an ebony board tho so it blends nicly. matching headstock (black flamed maple edge and spalt maple top)
And a maple inlay at 12th fret!

:yesway: :noway: ?

:yesway:, definitely. I love spalts so much!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
yes!:hbang: maple and ebony are probably my favorite combo but im kinda diggin that spalt top... looks sick w the black bevels

:yesway:, definitely. I love spalts so much!

The spalt top would be a beauty! :yesway:

:yesway: very glad youz guyz agree! i actaully think it does look really cool now so i think i will be going with that one

im thinking of making it a bolt on too
i love neck thru's but i havnt made a neckthru before. Plus i like the idea of the body being 1 solid peice of Swamp Ash (which is what iv decided on now)

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
I think that project is awesome, I love your taste and shape you created :hbang:

awesomeaustin

hates neck pickups.
Contributor
Reaction score
i would do the green flamed maple, not a fan of spalted maple. Colobolo is sweet for fingerboards, some of the orange streaks turn purple when cut or sanded, looks cool

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I don't know about the stained maple on the bevels with that spalt. I think it might get too busy. I'd say pick a consistent grained wood and stain it black.

OR...
What would be killer is to have those bevels ebony. Idk how $$ that is, but it would match really well. Esp if it was a super dark (or stained) ebony.

The other thing is I think a reddish color looks great with the spalt, so consider a bloodwood FB.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
What would be killer is to have those bevels ebony. Idk how $$ that is, but it would match really well. Esp if it was a super dark (or stained) ebony.

:idea: i like the way you think! I think an Ebony veneer for the edges will be a much better idea for that exact reason. will get busy i think and ebony will make it simpler in a good way ... good call :yesway:

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Ah Yes! my 8string build thread!

so a few of you will have seen my "I got the job" thread and how i know have a nice shinny new job which im very pleased with because i can now FINALLY afford to start this thing!
Going to get it underway with my first paycheque i think!
at least the main body wood and hopfully a nice spalted top and il get the body started
:woot:

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
im browsing through your other build thread for the two guitars and im liking what i see! i will definitely keep an eye on this one. im glad that you can now fund this project! :agreed:

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
1177€...I'm not sure the price point is good, it's a lot more than other SEs and competing with some serious contenders at that price range in the EMG+Floyd department. Regular SEs are killer guitars for the price, but this is in the same price area as an IBANEZ RG2620Z-GK, LTD KH602, LTD Alexi 600, Jackson soloists etc.

Looks very nice otherwise.

flo

Reaction score
...Nr 100 comment about the lower horn, but I'm wondering if the balance will be ok when played sitting and having the guitar on the knee. Don't underrate the mass of 8 tuners, combined with a long neck. Maybe you should move the waist of the body slightly towards the neck?

But now all available thumbs up for this guitar! It looks KILLER!!!!

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Where do you get your spalted maple, if I may ask.

as much as i hate to admit it ... ebay :ugh:

you get to check out the exact timber you buy tho so u can basically choose which one you want instead of buying some from somewhere and hoping it looks good.
plus being in england there is pretty much nowhere i can find that dose it so its easyer for me to get it from over seas

ttr398

Reaction score
Seen your Bullet 7 build thread, can't wait to see what you come up with on this one - you have the skills sir!

abadonae

This Fury Reborn
Reaction score
Dude i seriously cant wait to see this, from the mockups i definitely think you should go with the spalted maple top, it looks slightly unusual on photoshop but i can see the finished product in my head and it looks incredible.

The dual layer idea is just perfect and i think it'll give the guitar that serious unique look that i believe your trying to attain by building you own.

About the body size as well as i've read theres a lot of discussion on here about.
Personally My issue with many ERG's i've seen is the size of the body. Companies always increase the size of the bodies in ratio with the neck and sometimes i think it looks horrid, I.E. intrepid, i love intrepids, trying to get my hands on one, owned one but got rid of it because of size and weight.

Personally i think a smaller or standard size body accentuates the size of the neck and gives it that real ERG look ya know, and it means the person playing it doesn't look dwarfed by the body either.

But i seriously cant wait to see this badboy, and if you do carry on doing luthier work then maybe one day we can have a chat about getting some work done my fellow UKian

Take it easy dude

')