My 2nd Guitar build... Fanned Fret 8 string

• Thread starter TimSE
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What should I say Tim! This design is just kickin' my balls everytime I see it. If the build quality do justice, you might have a perfect instrument there. I would like to play it:)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
in fairness, tim, i think the least we could do is arrange that whenever you use this, you have at least 5 of us from the forum also playing it at the same time. dealing with the limelight on your own for having such a nice looking mega-banjo can be extremely taxing.

we're here for you, man.

H

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
in fairness, tim, i think the least we could do is arrange that whenever you use this, you have at least 5 of us from the forum also playing it at the same time. dealing with the limelight on your own for having such a nice looking mega-banjo can be extremely taxing.

we're here for you, man.

H

:wub: its love like this that makes me adore this forum :lol:

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score

we're here for you, man.

H

Serious LOLz! :lol:

:wub: its love like this that makes me adore this forum :lol:

Have to admit that I'm not into pointy instruments, but what you're planning is very pretty looking. Looking forward to seeing more pictures as get bits of it finished up.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
PICT2777a.jpg

See, I was thinking less of an actual horn and more just a curve/angle that implies one without actually being a traditional horn. I didn't think the massing needed much of a change and I liked the extreme assymmetry, so it was more of a little mod than a whole horn.

guitarplayerone

Reaction score
love the design

but i feel like the body should be a bit bigger and/or wider. With 8 strings on that it will look like a deliberately 'small' body imo

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Too add, I think that first curve on what would be the lower horn area is too straight (although the bevel isn't) and I'd like a bit more commitment lol, either curving one way (ala an allusion to a horn) or something more like that picture of the bass.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
love the design

but i feel like the body should be a bit bigger and/or wider. With 8 strings on that it will look like a deliberately 'small' body imo

array_obsession_5_fm.jpg

my traben bass has a smaller body than is typical for a 5 string and it actually looks particularly cool, i think. it's a subtly different look that really works. i actually prefer it to a "normal" sized 5 string.

rto666

Reaction score
Its kind of weird but it looks cool! Samaller body/more strings! I based on a death kelly on my custom 7 and I shorten the body a little bit, and I love it..!

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
UPDATE: (Not really)

So i still have no money to get this beast underway which is LAAAME! BUT i have changed what im goin to do slightly... Mostly woods
I will still be using swamp ash or alder for the base body wood, but i will have a Flamed maple veneer ontop of it (trans black for the met0lz :metal: ) Then the top will now be spalted maple.
All black hardware.
And the fingerboard will now be Ziricote :wub: I might put a TF (like in my avatar) inlay at 12th fret but not sure if i will or what with... altho i really wanna use abalone on something but not sure if itd fit in or stick out like a sore thumb.
But yes, this thing is still waiting to be started BUT WILL HAPPEN!
im going to do a really crappy photoshop mockup attempt so people can understand what i mean about the wood tops for the body.
My photoshop skillz are shit so itl look shit tho :lol:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I will still be using swamp ash or alder for the base body wood, but i will have a Flamed maple veneer ontop of it (trans black for the met0lz :metal: ) Then the top will now be spalted maple.

Wait, so you'll have an ash/alder body, flamed maple veneer, and the spalt on top of that? :scratch: Or do you mean the top will be a spalted flamed maple veneer? Cuz I didn't think spalted maple could be stained.

Erik Hauri

Lumber -> Guitars
Reaction score
Toner coats are a much better approach to putting a transparent color over spalted maple - you seal, clear and level so you have a smooth clear coat over the spalt, then shoot dyed finish over that, then clear over that. Way more uniform result than directly staining the wood.

vansinn

Reaction score
^ I see.. unless a more raw wood oiled finish is wanted, which looks great with spalted maple.
Erik, have you done spray dye on spalts? I was just thinking it might work, even if it sucks so much and uneven..

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
^^^ if i was dying the spalt, thats what i would be doing but the spalt isnt being dyed.

Here are some crappy mockups of what i mean.

spaltcopy.jpg

altho, now seeing it infront of me, im not 100% convinced but the spalt... seemed nicer in my head.
My first idea what this which seems to fit a bit better:

greencopy.jpg

I like green alot ... what do you guys think?
I really wanna use an exotic wood for the fingerboard like Ziricote or maybe cocobolo. But want it all to fit together and not seem randomly placed on the guitar

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
...actually...
I do like the spalt version with the black edges... With an ebony board tho so it blends nicly. matching headstock (black flamed maple edge and spalt maple top)
And a maple inlay at 12th fret!

:yesway: :noway: ?

Erik Hauri

Lumber -> Guitars
Reaction score
Erik, have you done spray dye on spalts? I was just thinking it might work, even if it sucks so much and uneven..

When I'm dying the wood directly I use waterbased dyes, and then I wipe on rather than spraying. I feel like I have more control over the evenness of the color, and I'd rather not have to clean up the gun to get all the color out unless I absolutely have to (like for the toner coats mentioned above).

I would not dye spalted wood directly, because the punky parts will absorb more than the firm parts.

metallidude3

Reaction score
I do like the spalt version with the black edges... With an ebony board

yes!:hbang: maple and ebony are probably my favorite combo but im kinda diggin that spalt top... looks sick w the black bevels

')