My 30w Sunn Model T

Reaction score
Hi guys,

here is my next build, a Sunn O))) Model T Replica, not the Fender 90s reissue, not the 2nd Gen, i want the first one from the mid 70s, but 30w using 2x KT66.

(i have anothe thread where i built a Hot-Rodded 20w Mesa-Boogie Rectifier in case you wanna check it out)

The kit i ordered this time was supposed to be a JTM45, but as the preamp is very similar to the Model T, it fits this build perfectly. I have the feeling this is gonna be fun.
I wanted to copy the really mean look of the original amp so i painted the chassis black and built a cabinet myself. Too bad i could not find a grill for the front so i went all-wood instead. Decent job i must say

Other than the usual and original controls i'm planning to add some more stuff,

a "NFB" pot to control the negative feeback going to the phase inverter, a "resonance" pot, another one to control the bias of the phase inverter and a spare one that i might use to tweak the tonestack, we'll see what i want to do with that. I'm gonna wire one of the outputs to 2x25w resistors that are gonna lower to output power to around 10%, so 3w, this is to get that cranked power stage overdrive and distorsion that the Model T is so famous for. I also want a switch to go from "pentode" mode to "triode" for the two KT66s, just to get a different distorsion caracteristic and lower the max output power to around 50%, might be useful combined with the 10% output jack.

I planned 3 switches on the front, the first might become a parallel-cascade selector for the "brite" and "normal" channels to get some more gain in the preamp section, the other two...well, i'll find something to do with those, maybe different "bright" selectors for the 2 channels. And, i'm also going to use diodes instead of the GZ34 rectifier tube, more voltage, less sag and more like the original Sunn.

The cabinet is 77x23x20cm, pretty compact

Here some photos of the build, i'm gonna wire the entire thing in the next days, i wanted to get the look right before starting soldering and running cables

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I'll be following this one, wicked.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Hell yeah. You got the control panel aesthetics just right and I love your play on the logo hahahaha.

Can't wait to hear clips. Hope you have a RAT to hit it with! <3)))

Reaction score
Hell yeah. You got the control panel aesthetics just right and I love your play on the logo hahahaha.

Can't wait to hear clips. Hope you have a RAT to hit it with! <3)))
thanks, i don't have a RAT, but i have all the parts to build one myself LOL. i need to sit down and work on it. Imagine having an integrated RAT pedal in that amp. what a great combo. I have an original FZ-2 from the 90s, that might help
i have another cool amp. A Crate BV60H that i modified to be an exact copy of the Model T Fender reissue, the preamp at least, sounds pretty good

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update, i've done some stuff

Assembled all the parts on the chassis

i love how i wired the input jacks

started the wiring process. The heaters are connected, so are the output transformer, impedence selector and some basic grounding

i just finished assembling most of the board, i'm gonna wire some stuff tomorrow with the board sitting in the amp so i know where the cables can go and do things as effective as possible
i'm probably going to wire most of the preamp tubes and potentiometers tomorrow, i'm guessing that by tuesday it might already make some noise

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Clips when that’s a possibility :yesway:

Reaction score
It's on but partially working. Only the brite channel works as of now. The phase inverter and the power section are not at 100%, i still have a lot of tests and changes i need to make
. Didn't even check the bias but as long as it is not replating i'm fine with it.
Ps, damn this thing run on high voltage...wtf the two KT66 run on 500v and the phase inverter is 400+v. I need to be careful not to die here. For real

Here is a video using a SG with P90 and a FZ2. Sounds ok at the moment. Superlow volume, ~2 at most, i can't crank it without the resistors to drop the output power

Don't be surprised if the amp itself sounds boring, it kinda is. It's a 3 stage design from the 70s, no special sauce.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update, i've got some stuff sorted out:
- KT66s are running at fullpower pentode mode @500v, volume is still at 1.5/10 max, the resistors are coming soon.
- Finally set the bias @70%, it was crazy low yesterday, i'm talking 20% territory :/
- Small phase-inverter tweak
- "Normal" Channel working, i didn't realize i inverted the cathode with the anode
- Cascade gain switch working...and it sounds great, kinda like a build-in Muff/Fuzz depending on the Gain/EQ used

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
Update, i've got some stuff sorted out:
- KT66s are running at fullpower pentode mode @500v, volume is still at 1.5/10 max, the resistors are coming soon.
- Finally set the bias @70%, it was crazy low yesterday, i'm talking 20% territory :/
- Small phase-inverter tweak
- "Normal" Channel working, i didn't realize i inverted the cathode with the anode
- Cascade gain switch working...and it sounds great, kinda like a build-in Muff/Fuzz depending on the Gain/EQ used

A bit off topic but how do you like that cabinet? Looks pretty good

Reaction score
A bit off topic but how do you like that cabinet? Looks pretty good
I paid 250€ for it if i remeber right, it's the Celestion V30 version, not the super cheap one with hifi speakers... Sounds good, a bit too much top end if you ask me, but maybe it's just me. Very very deep low end if you push it. I would love to try other speakers in it, something more mid-heavy

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
I paid 250€ for it if i remeber right, it's the Celestion V30 version, not the super cheap one with hifi speakers... Sounds good, a bit too much top end if you ask me, but maybe it's just me. Very very deep low end if you push it. I would love to try other speakers in it, something more mid-heavy
FWIW I've seen a lot of guys running a creamback to go with the V30 to round off those highs you're talking about. It's what I want to try to do next. Might be what you're looking for

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I have the horizontal version and will definitely agree that it's a bright cab. I swapped one of the V30s for a G12T-75 and it's much more rounded now. Either way though, well worth the price.

Reaction score
Very interesting, i might consider getting a G12T-75 just to see if i can make it sound a bit more mid heavy.
Anyways, i got the resistors for the 1/4 Power mode, wasn't working at first but then i found out that i needed to swap the cables going from the output trasformer to the power tubes, i was getting positive feeback instead of negative. So that's working now. I have a jack @Fullpower and one @¼, i can push the master to 4 or 5 now.
I integrated a silicone diode clipper and a low pass filter, both switchable from the front pannel, great if you want that bit of extra distortion.
Because someone named the RAT, i built one myself this morning, just the clipping part and no controls, i just set the gain at 50%, but it sounds cool through the amp

')