My 6 string bass adventure!

• Thread starter TimSE
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
So I have decided to name this finish "Galaxy burst" because it is. So in my basses case, It's Green Galaxy Burst finish.

I should patent it. Sell it for billions

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Coming along nicely! Still got 1 more can of lacquer to go then onto the buffing

Really hard to get a picture of though, at least until its buffed

IMAG1068_zpsb974e73b.jpg

IMAG1069_zps24591998.jpg

IMAG1070_zps7810818a.jpg

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
It's coming along very nicely I think. I'm very interested in seeing the whole thing finished up. That headstock is just one of the coolest I've seen.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
It's coming along very nicely I think. I'm very interested in seeing the whole thing finished up. That headstock is just one of the coolest I've seen.

That's the bit I want to see finished the most. Angled the tuning pegs

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Back of the headstock got a bit of glittery love. I was going to do a DNA thing but it would be under the tuning pegs too much so did a yin yang and it looks way better.

IMAG1073_zpsad13e632.jpg

IMAG1075_zps096c65c7.jpg

IMAG1076_zps763c3f8b.jpg

IMAG1078_zps14d8527e.jpg

Then lacquer the absolute balls out of it! Super thick ya'dig?

10247366_10154080689610274_1624710034647599687_n_zps9847950c.jpg

10171653_10154080691305274_4123311089757164838_n_zpsfb90bb24.jpg

My girlfriend who helped me get this bass in the first place did the purple for me. Love her.

Nearly done...

Reaction score
Needs more glitter.

Seriously can't wait to here this beauty play though.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Bad news y'all. This finish is insisting on ....ing up it would seem...

IMAG1084_zps9a99563b.jpg

Massive cluster of bubbles in this 1 spot for some unknown reason. Tried 5 times applying the lacquer 5 different ways and it bubbles up everytime. :(
Giving up and accepting it (as il be getting this completely redone at some point - probably sooner than later now)
I have an idea to cover it up though so watch this space.

Then my last can of lacquer decided to be constantly airbubbled as well. So the black burst comes out ....ing grey/silver.

IMAG1086_zpsbe3a5b49.jpg

Any help on this ....ing spray bubbles shit would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Saveable :yesway:

Wet sand between coats. Plus the layers are thick enough to not sand the glitter colours off which is lucky. otherwise you'd be sharpie'ing the colours back on silver ones that are really noticeable and looks a bit shitty. Ya dig?

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
OK guys. The repair of that 1 spot that ....ed up looks wank and on top of that, thanks to a defective can of spray, the whole thing is cover it tiny metal shards making it look silver... Sigh.
The last can of spray lacquer is plagued with tiny metal shards that make it look VERY silver a few layers. Didnt notice at first :(

Meaning I gotta strip the lacquer and start over. This is a massive bummer for me because I am very impatient :lol:

So I have strung it up and am playing it until my next payday where I will buy a different type of spray and do it all over again in about a month or so when I can afford it.
Will get this first attempt off with nitromors like the first lots. It's not nearly as tough so shouldnt be too hard to get off.
I can do the glittering an black burst a bit tidier as well.

So slight hold while I lacquer it all over again. il post up the 2nd attempt later on FLM :lol:

I am nothing more than an amature hobbyist having a go and sometimes I guess it doesnt go completely to play.
Why that 1 small coin sized spot decided to Out Gas for me I do not know but hopefully take 2 will yeld better results.
To be continued!

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
And now we play the waiting game...

Indeed.
I'll be getting my replacement lacquers in the next couple days and will relacquer the damned thing in a week or 2. I dont want to ditch my £40 worth of new strings just yet :lol: Plus I want to plan ahead just to make sure I get it all right this time

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
Came back to this thread after being away from it for a while. That was the quickest happiness to bummed out roller coaster I've ever been on. Is the neck at least keep able, or is that botched too?

I'm looking forward to more progress anyway.

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Came back to this thread after being away from it for a while. That was the quickest happiness to bummed out roller coaster I've ever been on. Is the neck at least keep able, or is that botched too?

I'm looking forward to more progress anyway.

:lol: The neck is all good. It's strung up and playing like a beast at the moment. Only the lacquer went a bit shitty. It's purely cosmetic and completely fixable. Just means redoing about 3 weeks worth of layering and sanding and layering and sanding and layering and sanding....

It'l be totally fine when I redo it ;)

But yeah it ....ing sucked! Was only a couple of layers away from being done. Oh well!

Primitive Guitarist

Mastering Mastering
Reaction score
:lol: The neck is all good. It's strung up and playing like a beast at the moment. Only the lacquer went a bit shitty. It's purely cosmetic and completely fixable. Just means redoing about 3 weeks worth of layering and sanding and layering and sanding and layering and sanding....

It'l be totally fine when I redo it ;)

But yeah it ....ing sucked! Was only a couple of layers away from being done. Oh well!

Hows it sound?
Might get getting a bit overly tone douchey, But I'm kinda wondering how different it sounds with all those layers of finish on it

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Hows it sound?
Might get getting a bit overly tone douchey, But I'm kinda wondering how different it sounds with all those layers of finish on it

It sounds awesome! I don't mind a bit of EMG love and it beefs up the stock pups really nicely. EQ on it is great too.

Got a new compressor pedal arriving in a few days as well which is never a bad thing :yesway: Just playing Dirty Loops songs :lol:

')