My 7 string build

• Thread starter dansk_84
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dansk_84

Reaction score
Hi guys

After my first attempt at constructing a 7 string guitar didn't go 100% to plan I got straight on the case of designing and constructing a new one. This time I decided to base my new project on a guitar design a know and love, the Explorer. After owning a gibson explorer for many years ive come to the personal conclusion its the best guitar ever made, and it would be great if I could make a 7 string tribute to this amazing guitar.

As soon as I made my decision I got straight down to CADing up the new design. Shown below is the final design I came up with.

Concept Design.jpg

The spec of the guitar are shown below
-Neck Thru body Construction made of 3 pieces of maple with 3mm walnut laminates sandwich between.
-Poplar Wing pieces
-25.5Inch scale
-Ebony Fingerboard
-24 frets
-Black graphtech nut
-Standard Tuners
-Kent Armstrong Pickups
-Neck to be sanded smooth and finished with Tung oil
-Body to be painted and finished with nitrocellulose lacquer

Ive already started the construction of my guitar, it started with glueing the laminates and wings together. Ive attached some pictures to show the progress ive made.

Image000.jpg
Image004.jpg
Image019.jpg
Image020.jpg

Thanks for Reading my little piece on my project and hope you come back to see the progress I make.

Dan

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ruins

Reaction score
looks good so far and :thumbup: for not going the standard superstrat shape (not that its bad i am just board from it)

Bananalyze

Reaction score
I'm normally not a xiphos kind of person, but that CAD drawing looks too classy to ignore. :agreed:

can't wait to see more!

EDIT: my bad, you totally said it's an explorer shape. that's what i get for skipping straight to the pictures and making assumptions. :ugh:

Sebastian

Reaction score
Really interesting design :yesway:

Can't wait to see more pictures :)

dansk_84

Reaction score
Totally agree with you, there are too many superstrats about

dansk_84

Reaction score
I hopefully will get some more pics tomorrow. The last 2 weeks i havnt had a chance to work on it due to have 2 consecutive weddings to go to, im pretty much gagging to get down to some serious work 2moz.

dansk_84

Reaction score
Allright Guys ive got some new pictures of my project
Image035.jpg
Image046.jpg
Image045.jpg

The next photo is of a contraption I built to sand a fingerboard of a zero radius to 5mm depth
Image043.jpg
Image044.jpg

Roll on next Saturday for some more guitar building action

Latest posts

')