My 7 string ruined it for me....

• Thread starter ChaplainMoses
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Aright I have two Ibanez guitars, one a 7 string A7221 and a 6er G10 I think it is. I did not like the sound of the 7 so I went out and got some Dimarzio Blaze pickups for the bridge hoping to clear up the tone since it was way too muddy sounding, but even with the pickups it was muddy. I got a Pod xt recently and picked up my 6 string and have been playing that. But now I go back to my 7 and hate playing it. The neck is too big, and it just sounds way too muddy compared to my 6. Any ideas? Should I not waste any more money on my 7 and get a better one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The AX is, IMO, the worst Ibanez 7 they've made.

Reaction score
Alright, I wish I would of never put money into it. Now I'm gonna have to start saving up for something better.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you can find an RG7420, 7421, 7321, 7620, or 7621, go for it.

I saved up enough to get a custom Agile and I'm really excited about it.

Reaction score
Alright thanks, Ill check those out. Ive seen some pics of the agile here and it does look like a sick guitar. The neck is a lot thinner than my seven right?

lefty robb

Shred like a mofo
Contributor
Reaction score
Alright, I wish I would of never put money into it. Now I'm gonna have to start saving up for something better.

Don't think that way, you can get a better guitar (RG7321 is awesome for the price!!) and just transplant those pickups into it. And Agiles do have thicker necks.

Reaction score
Yea i never thought of that. I did see some of the Ibanezs for cheap on ebay so maybe Ill just pick up a used one. I really like the thin neck like my 6 string, so i guess i should stick with the above suggested Ibanezs?

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
the RG7321 won't be any amazing ax, but it'll sure blow the fuck out of the water any AX made models they put out.

the thing is that bad that i'd rather use it for fire wood if i was given one for free

dtrax

Reaction score
I have a RG7321 and even after replacing the bridge PU with an Evo7, it still had a somewhat 'choked', dull tone. It certainly sounded better and if you grab a 7321 definitely change the PU's... BUT, I think the biggest problem with budget guitars is the quality of wood they use. Your AX7221 has a mahogany body w/ maple neck; there's no reason that it should sound muddy at all, other than the fact that Ibanez uses shit tonewoods on their low end guitars.

Vairocarnal

...is something.
Reaction score
The AX is, IMO, the worst Ibanez 7 they've made.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I'm with rick on this one. Ironically I've said the same thing about both the AX and GIO series.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
the RG7321 won't be any amazing ax, but it'll sure blow the fuck out of the water any AX made models they put out.

the thing is that bad that i'd rather use it for fire wood if i was given one for free

false. the ax7521 is a serious guitar. i dont like it at all, but the quality is badass

Wiz

Reaction score
After using a 7 string exclusively for over a year, I have to say that going back to a 6 feels wrong. The neck feels so small and puny.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
I can recommend the S7320. Excellent tremolo and fantastic mahogany tone. Sounds way different from the RG7s.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
The sound of the 7221 might be salvageable. Since it's mahogany, the Blaze might not be the best choice for making it less muddy. It's got pretty thick lows, so something with more mids/highs like maybe an Evo would probably work better in mahogany. Of course that won't make the neck any more comfortable, though. With the exception of that model, the 7x2x guitars are generally pretty good, so look for one of those.

Demanufacture

Reaction score
The sound of the 7221 might be salvageable. Since it's mahogany, the Blaze might not be the best choice for making it less muddy. It's got pretty thick lows, so something with more mids/highs like maybe an Evo would probably work better in mahogany. Of course that won't make the neck any more comfortable, though. With the exception of that model, the 7x2x guitars are generally pretty good, so look for one of those.

7321? :scratch:

lefty robb

Shred like a mofo
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a RG7321 and even after replacing the bridge PU with an Evo7, it still had a somewhat 'choked', dull tone.

I tend to see those same words in the same sentence a lot :lol:

Finding a RG7421XL would be pure win though.

')