My 8 string build:)

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
It's going to be great guitars. You want to use ash, check this piece
stratjesion.jpg

This strat made my friend who's building also my 9 string

:bowdown: Nice, very nice piece of wood!

* skinhead of course, means that in a sexual way :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
That looks great Adam - pretty much my idea of the perfect 8! Looks a tad neck-heavy (because of the cutaway for the extra frets), although I'm sure you've figured all this stuff out. Good luck! :metal:

And sadly, I have no kittie pictures to contribute :(

Yeah, I bought the heaviest piece of swamp ash I could find(12lbs) and Im going to move the strap button to a diffrent area.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Nice grain, but i think that you have to put a quilted maple there, or maybe some buckeae burl (did we have any sex emoticon? :lol:)

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Nice grain, but i think that you have to put a quilted maple there, or maybe some buckeae burl (did we have any sex emoticon? :lol:)

You know I saw a very quilted maple venneer, I might do that but just oil it:drool:
Ill see how my project turns out before I buy it though.

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Ive decided to make this guitar a neck through now.:shred:

I also got an email back from EMG regarding the 808's:
Scott Ferrara <scott@emgpickups.com> to me
show details 3:11 pm (2½ hours ago)

They retail for $127.00 each and are 4 weeks out, so get your order in now!

Regards,

Scott Ferrara
EMG Pickups
National Sales Mgr.
scott@emgpickups.com
www.emgpickups.com

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for posting the info about the 808 availability Adam.
Can you order from them directly?

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
Oh, shit i want an EMG808, but sure they are going to arrive here on 2 or 3 months, so i have to buy the 45DC :fawk:

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Got another reply regarding how to get ahold of the 808's

They are available, however you can only purchase through an Authorized EMG Dealer, any Guitar Center or Sam Ash or one of the following websites:
guitarpartsdepot.com
thebassplace.com
musicsolutionsstore.com
8thstreet.com
donsmusiccity.com
gtrheaven.com
Regards,

Scott Ferrara
EMG Pickups
National Sales
scott@emgpickups.com
www.emgpickups.com
:hbang:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sounds great, Adam! :hbang: That's going to be awesome. Keep us posted with some pics too. :D

GodBlessTexas

Ibanez Junky
Reaction score
Adam, that looks awesome. Two things come to mind looking at it:

1: 30 frets on a 27" scale length sounds like it's going to be awfully tight at the higher frets. Have you mocked it up to see if it looks/feels doable? N/M. Just did the math, and it looks like it'd be just slightly more cramped than the 23 and 24th frets on a 25.5 scale guitar at the 29th and 30th frets.

2: That neck pickup looks like it may be awfully close to the lower horn on the bottom edge. If you've seen the Rusty Cooley Dean 7 string, you'll notice that they put the neck pickup at a bias to avoid this problem. Have you thought about maybe doing that to give yourself some additional clearance so you don't accidentally rout from the pickup cavity through the horn? I'd be worried that any chipout in that corner could be bad news for the body.

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Adam, that looks awesome. Two things come to mind looking at it:

1: 30 frets on a 27" scale length sounds like it's going to be awfully tight at the higher frets. Have you mocked it up to see if it looks/feels doable?

2: That neck pickup looks like it may be awfully close to the lower horn on the bottom edge. If you've seen the Rusty Cooley Dean 7 string, you'll notice that they put the neck pickup at a bias to avoid this problem. Have you thought about maybe doing that to give yourself some additional clearance so you don't accidentally rout from the pickup cavity through the horn? I'd be worried that any chipout in that corner could be bad news for the body.

I have an updated sketch with the upper horn extended to maintain balance, and a bit more wood on the lower cutaway to avoid issues with the neck p/u, and like I stated before it is now neck thru, which eliminated alot of problems.

1. I have mocked it up, and worst case scenario my pinky would cover the last 2 frets, but would still produce an audible sound, remember Michael angelos 29 fret V? His scale was 25.5":eek: and he had no problem play the higher frets:
MABGuitarsRocket.jpg

2. Dont worry, everythings drawn to scale, there will be about 2 cm of wood above it, and about 1 cm from the top corner of the p/u to the edge of the cutaway.

Thanks for your concern though, I have though this through for a long time, so just about all the bugs are fixed.

I will post the new sketches as soon as my bitch of a sister gives me the digital camera back;)

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
Plenty of fret spacing there. The Hamer Virtuoso`s we did had 36 frets and a 26.250" scale, and there is plenty o room!:yesway:

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Plenty of fret spacing there. The Hamer Virtuoso`s we did had 36 frets and a 26.250" scale, and there is plenty o room!:yesway:

BTW I should be getting the cash soon Sherman(my accountant said the governments comp is fucked so I cant get my cheque, because the age I am now doesent match their records, apparently I'm 89 years old:lol:, but he said he will mail the info, so I will get the cash:yesway:) How does a $300 downpayment sound?

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Updated pics and specs:
The new design(and is now neck thru)
DSC06903-1.jpg

DSC06901-1.jpg

And I also drew the full size template:
DSC06905-1.jpg

The wood should be in any day now!:hbang:

I am now going with EMG 808's rather than the EMG bass p/us, since we can apparently order the 808's through any EMG dealer(their words not mine)

Here are the specs for the neck Mike Sherman will be building for me:

Ok so here are the finalized specs:

Scale: 27"

Cut nut for low F# about 0.70

String spacing need to match hipshot 8 string fixed bridge

Neck thru

Hardware (tuning keys): black

Fretboard wood: unbound rosewood with off set small pearloid dots

Neck material: Ibanez profile-with flat thin back- 5 piece finished multi-laminate neck with Purple Heart.

Headstock: Conklin style headstock (like Erics) no cap on headstock like this
74_1.jpg

Frets: 30 frets - Dunlop 6000

Radius: 16 degrees

Thickness for plank that goes into the body 1 3/4”
About 12” past the fret board should be sufficient.
Top cutaway meets 22rd fret
Bottom cutaway meets at 29th.

angus

Reaction score
You might want to check those specs over with Mike- 30 frets doesn't leave a lot of room for two pickups spaced out like that. You can't just add frets forever- something has to give!

This is my guitar almost ready from him: 30 frets, and that pickup route is for the bridge pickup!

Attachments

• 8stringbaritone.JPG
    8stringbaritone.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 112
')