My 8 string build:)

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Good luck getting all that done properly and neatly in one night. The hole drilling is not as big of a deal, but the routing, shaping, sanding is. If you think that'll happen in one night without a problem, you definitely have not worked on instruments very much!

Take your time with this, dude. No point in wasting a nice neck because some routes came out ugly or the sanding was half-assed.

And you'll have a lot of sanding to do, in both the shaping and pre-finish sanding stages.

Wood finishing was never my strong suit (relative to metal/plastics), but you'll have to do more than just sand and then throw color on. There are a lot of options available, obviously, but color is not the first coat. It would be wise to talk to Mike about his preferred method (without a booth, obviously) as he'll have more experience with the various methods than most who post here.

I'll avoid giving my opinion on it, because as I said, it's not my strongest suit even if I have finished and refinished a number of instruments. I will say, though, that I do not like tung oil on stained finishes, because it will darken the color by quite a bit, and usually it'll add a very slight yellow/brown tint (very slight). Just something to take into account.

The routing and drilling takes me about a night but the sanding yes usually does take longer but the rough routing and rough drilling dont take too long.;)
If oiling a black stain ends up darkening it so be it:)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
The routing and drilling takes me about a night but the sanding yes usually does take longer but the rough routing and rough drilling dont take too long.;)
If oiling a black stain ends up darkening it so be it:)

Not to spoil your party Adam, but Angus is correct.:agreed:
The neck that I have made for you is slightly oversize in thickness where the wings glue on, and you will need to blend (or deck, if you want to call it that ) the neck to the wings.....both front and back after they are glued on.

I did this to allow for error, or "creaping" when you glue the wings on. You will thank me for this after you glue the wing on.:cool:

Also, without having the wings here , the heel is slightly oversized as well and will need to be blended.....so you have a good days worth of blending and sanding alone.

Take your time with it:yesway:

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Not to spoil your party Adam, but Angus is correct.:agreed:
The neck that I have made for you is slightly oversize in thickness where the wings glue on, and you will need to blend (or deck, if you want to call it that ) the neck to the wings.....both front and back after they are glued on.

I did this to allow for error, or "creaping" when you glue the wings on. You will thank me for this after you glue the wing on.:cool:

Also, without having the wings here , the heel is slightly oversized as well and will need to be blended.....so you have a good days worth of blending and sanding alone.

Take your time with it:yesway:

I already figured out that the part of the neck that the wings would glue on would be thicker, the sanding/blending I know is going ot take a while, I was regarding to the routing and drilling wouldnt take me long, dont worry about it:wavey:
My Grandfather has been a woodworker for almost 60 years and is the one helping me on this project, so there shouldnt be too many if any problems.
I might end up spending a week on the sanding and blending, but like you said Mike I will take my time:agreed:
Could you post some pics of it Mike?
Thanks

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
I found this older shitty photo of the neck blank and F/B before I worked it.
This is all I could find on my home computer.
I`ll post the finished neck tomorrow when I`m at the shop.

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, Great! Thanks again Mike:bowdown:
P.S- Sorry if Ive been coming off as impatient/annoying about the build progress and pics, I'm just eager to continue this project.:)

It`s ok ,Man, I understand.....you do get the award for the most emails during a build though:lol:

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, these were taken before fretting and radiusing the F/B.

You can thank Steve (our resident "Big Toe" Super Mod) as I pirated his UV neck specs for the carve.:squint:

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, these were taken before fretting and radiusing the F/B.

You can thank Steve (our resident "Big Toe" Super Mod) as I pirated his UV neck specs for the carve.:squint:

Nice! So shes ready to ship out tommorow then? And
i hope that the plank is longer than wht is shown in the pic
:lol:

')