My 8 string build:)

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

angus

Reaction score
Looks nice, Mike!

Adam, you need to calm down, dude! You're getting your stuff ultra fast, so give the man time to get it ready to go and get it out the door. Besides, you'll be needing a few weeks probably to finish the guitar anyway, so don't get yourself too hyped up to be playing the thing in a few days!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Very nice.

If you don't mind me asking, how much does a finished through-body neck like that cost, and what's the turnaround time like?

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Neck should be in monday:hbang: Its ready to be assembled once the necks in:metal:
And the whole thing will be tung-oiled:drool:

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
So it'll be ready in a few weeks? ;)

Yeah, I'm not saying it's not going to be:fawk: I'm aware how long it will take and if you read ,y post above yours I said ASSEMBLED not finished, so unless you're going to post anything constructive stay outta my thread;)

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not saying it's not going to be:fawk: I'm aware how long it will take and if you read ,y post above yours I said ASSEMBLED not finished, so unless you're going to post anything constructive stay outta my thread;)
So, what are the new specs? :) I suspect you've changed them again.

:wub:

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Neck came in today:hbang: Routed it for the EMG's and drilled the holes for the bridge:metal: Will glue wings on soon. Pics as soon as I get my hands on a camera, somebody stole mine:mad:

angus

Reaction score
Why did you drill the holes for the bridge before the neck is glued up???

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
Adam,
Glad it arrived safe and sound. I would suggest that you let the neck acclimate to it`s new environment before you go too nuts with it.
You probably should have glued the wings on it first and surfaced the front and back before doing any of the pup routing. That blank was not wide enough for the 808`s without the wings on it.

Slow down my friend, don`t get ahead of your build.

If you need help, or have any questions along the way, just ask, I`m here to help. Ok bud?

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Adam,
Glad it arrived safe and sound. I would suggest that you let the neck acclimate to it`s new environment before you go too nuts with it.
You probably should have glued the wings on it first and surfaced the front and back before doing any of the pup routing. That blank was not wide enough for the 808`s without the wings on it.

Slow down my friend, don`t get ahead of your build.

If you need help, or have any questions along the way, just ask, I`m here to help. Ok bud?

Alright, but Im going to only surface the back as I will be glueing the wings so that the front is level with the neck while the back has the excess, since I want the fretboard to be as low as possible. I have a couple questions about the neck though, the nut seems a little wide, was it designed for regular string spacing? Because if it is it would seem that there will be alot of space beside the low B and the high A. Lastly the frets seem to be much smaller than my Ibanez's frets, werent you supposed to put Dunlop 6000's?

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
Alright, but Im going to only surface the back as I will be glueing the wings so that the front is level with the neck while the back has the excess, since I want the fretboard to be as low as possible. I have a couple questions about the neck though, the nut seems a little wide, was it designed for regular string spacing? Because if it is it would seem that there will be alot of space beside the low B and the high A. Lastly the frets seem to be much smaller than my Ibanez's frets, werent you supposed to put Dunlop 6000's?

Ummm, dude, those are Dunlop 6000`s.
The nut width on that neck is the same that I use on my Serius 8 string and is 60mm wide. Without strings on it, 8 string necks give a feeling that they are wide, but I think you will find that once you string it up, you will find yourself eating those words that there is too much space between the low B and high A. Perhaps you are not accounting for f/B overhang as well?
That neck was built to your exact specs!

Adam,You changed your mind soo many times duing this build, I think maybe you have lost track of what your final specs were?

As I mentioned in my post above, I am here to help you with this build. It is obvious that you have never built a guitar before, so I wonder why the student is quizing the teacher:scratch:

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Any update, Adam?

Not really,
001.jpg

003.jpg

')