My 8 string build:)

• Thread starter Adam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
Ahem;)
MABGuitarsRocket.jpg

EDIT: hey wait a minute, the one you are displaying is his 32 fret 27.5" model, with those extra 2 frets gone there is room for a neck p/u, also FYI my sketch is drawn to scale, even has the proper scale length 27" and the pickup size on it;) Also seeing as how Mike has never mentioned that "problem" then it may not be a "problem".
:flex:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
No worries Adam,
At that scale with 30 frets, you have 4.750" from the high E saddle to the 30th fret. Subtract 1/4" for F/B overhang and 1/8" for bridge plate overhang, and it leaves 4.325" of room ......enough room to fit two EMG soapbars.:yesway:

M

angus

Reaction score
I see I spoke too soon! :nono:

Haha, Adam, I know it's a point of reference...but man Michael Angelo's guitar is one of the most heinous instruments still left standing from the 80s! I can't tell what goes better with it- leather pants or a construction worker's outfit? :lol:

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
I see I spoke too soon! :nono:

Haha, Adam, I know it's a point of reference...but man Michael Angelo's guitar is one of the most heinous instruments still left standing from the 80s! I can't tell what goes better with it- leather pants or a construction worker's outfit? :lol:

Nah....I have that one beat! Nothing is as ugly as this one designed by a customer who couldn`t pay the remaining balance just before the paint process.:fawk:
Kids, don`t have your luthier build the ugliest guitar and stiff him on it!!!!!

It`s going into the fireplace as I`m sick of looking at it:wavey:

msherman

Banned
Reaction score
oh no's dont burn gumby!!!*75$#E^(!!:lol:

Gumby is on Death Row until next saturday when it will be burned in the bonfire at a party, and only a stay of execution by Pokey will spare his life:evil: Too bad, it has a great neck in it, it`s just too ugly for the world.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
Gumby is on Death Row until next saturday when it will be burned in the bonfire at a party, and only a stay of execution by Pokey will spare his life:evil: Too bad, it has a great neck in it, it`s just too ugly for the world.

:idea: You could do some carving and make it into a Steinberger shape! I'm not sure about what you should do with the headstock, though.

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
UPDATE:
The wood is in and Ive drawn the shape of the wings, cutting will commence on Sunday:yesway:
DSC06932.jpg

Also another big update, thinking it over, Ive decided to go with the high A route after all, the guitar will now have a 25.5" scale, and will only have 27 frets instead of 30(because with the high A those extra 3 frets are uneccesary) which will also give the neck p/u more room.

OzzyC

:ubersquint:
Reaction score
UPDATE:
The wood is in and Ive drawn the shape of the wings, cutting will commence on Sunday:yesway:
DSC06932.jpg

Also another big update, thinking it over, Ive decided to go with the high A route after all, the guitar will now have a 25.5" scale, and will only have 27 frets instead of 30(because with the high A those extra 3 frets are uneccesary) which will also give the neck p/u more room.

I KNEW YOU WOULD! :rolleyes:
Well, other then that, I don't really have much to say. Just don't mess up while your working on that thing. :agreed:

RGGR

Reaction score
Yeah, I bought the heaviest piece of swamp ash I could find(12lbs) and Im going to move the strap button to a different area.

With Swamp Ash the trick is finding the lightest pieces. The parts of the tree that actually been in contact with the swamp. Otherwise your just dealing with Northern Hard Ash.....and that has nothing to do with Swamp Ash.

Sustain and tone with Swamp Ash comes from soft wood in between heavier (more dense) streaks. The combination of these two give you the great tone.

Going for the heaviest peices defines the whole purpose of choosing Swamp Ash to begin with.

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
With Swamp Ash the trick is finding the lightest pieces. The parts of the tree that actually been in contact with the swamp. Otherwise your just dealing with Northern Hard Ash.....and that has nothing to do with Swamp Ash.

Sustain and tone with Swamp Ash comes from soft wood in between heavier (more dense) streaks. The combination of these two give you the great tone.

Going for the heaviest peices defines the whole purpose of choosing Swamp Ash to begin with.

I got the wood from Louisianna, the whole board weighs about 13.5ibs, but the actual guitar body wings will only be about 6-7 at the most.

TheIllustratedLuthier

Luthier than thou
Reaction score
I love swamp ash for 8 strings, I'm using it on 2 8-strings right now with walnut tops. Let us know how those 808s work out

BRUTALIZER GUITARS

Reaction score
Umm:ugh: its really going to suck Clamping things up with the Wings pre cut
ALSO your going to need the edges that glue to the neck to be PERFECT and flat so you need to joint them and with the body cut out already you are going to lose some wood and you may have to mod your design a bit

I hope it all works out man:metal:

')