My 8 String In Progress!

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
Hey guys!
This is the place to officially post this i guess.
I am getting an 8 string built by Mordecai Guitars
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=60939090

theillustratedluthier@gmail.com

and its really starting to look awesome
so far here are my specs:
Thin Maple Body
Ebony Veneer
5A Quilt Maple Top
30 Inch Scale (for the low F tuning)
2 Lundgren M8 Pups
7 Piece neck (i forget all of the woods but there is a center piece of flame maple and i belive bloodwood if im not mistaken)
Cocobolo Fretboard with 24 Jumbo Frets (and it has a nice blonde streak to give it that "melted conklin" look haha)
hipshot 8 string thru body bridge
2 volumes
no tone
1 killswitch

I designed the body and the headstock (which is still being designed, but its going to be a mix of Blackmachine and Parker Fly headstocks) but the rest is really up in the air right now. One thing is i can get it lacquered, but i dont know if i want to or not, since oil finishes are sexy too. What do you guys think? What do you guys think i should add or change or whatever?

here are pix:
2d8538e5.jpg

PICT1182.jpg

cocobolo.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
DAMN, that top is amazing! That looks like it's going to be a BEAST.:yesway:

rogue

metal is forever
Reaction score
thats amazing, i have a novice question. since your mixing woods on the neck, is there any risk of it braking. when it gets hotter or colder different woods expand/contract slightly different amounts, is this enough to effect it. i know its done on lots of guitars, was just wondering if there is a process or something?

thanks

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
WayneCustom7 said:
Nice, now wait a sec, the guy who built it is ony 22? Fuck me!
Umm no thanks...

That body is sexy as hell though.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
rogue said:
thats amazing, i have a novice question. since your mixing woods on the neck, is there any risk of it braking. when it gets hotter or colder different woods expand/contract slightly different amounts, is this enough to effect it. i know its done on lots of guitars, was just wondering if there is a process or something?

thanks

The idea is that the different expansions and contractions make it less susceptiple to changing weather, but you could debate this either way. Since the glue used to bond the pieces is very strong, they won't break apart at the seams.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
All these are 8-string threads in recent days are giving me major GAS... And man, that top is unbelievable. Congrats!

bulb

Reaction score
hehe glad you guys like it!
regarding the multipiece neck, i was actually wondering the same thing, jesse (the luthier) says that it actually will make it more durable and sound better!
He really likes doing exotic necks like that, i would have been happy with a simple maple oiled neck haha!
But as for the body, i have been giving it some thought and i think i will agree with you guys and do an oil finish!

Karl Hungus

You're no daisy.
Contributor
Reaction score
It looks nice, but jesus... 30" scale? Most of the higher strings could be practically unplayable!

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Karl Hungus said:
It looks nice, but jesus... 30" scale? Most of the higher strings could be practically unplayable!

The first frets of the low strings are a hell of a reach too. I tried the Blackmachine 8's at the London Guitar Show. The fanned fret model is a lot more manageable due to the 28" scale on the bass side.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
metalfiend666 said:
The first frets of the low strings are a hell of a reach too. I tried the Blackmachine 8's at the London Guitar Show. The fanned fret model is a lot more manageable due to the 28" scale on the bass side.

I NEED that guitar left-handed, and with non-EMG's lol.

bulb

Reaction score
Yeah the 30 inch scale will be a bit of a reach (so im practicing getting comfortable with my bass hehe). I originally wanted to do a 27 or 28" scale, but my luthier did some research and found that anything less than 30 would be bad for tension. But i know someone who got a 30 inch blackmachine and he said it wasnt nearly as bad as he was expecting it to be. So i am hoping the same will be true for mine! As for fanned frets, i was thinking about those, but i have never tried them out, and as much praise as they have received i wouldnt want to get them on my 8 and possibly end up disliking them.

')