My 8 String In Progress!

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
i dont know if he is is a graduate from that school but i will be sure to ask, i do know he worked at esp custom shop for a year and a half before this tho...

clips? NO CLIPS FOR YOU!!

haha of course i will man, i cant wait to get my hands on this!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nik

Arrogant asshole
Reaction score
Hot damn that is gorgeous :hbang:

Looking at all the amazing and cool things you do with 7-strings, I'm extremely excited to hear what you do with 8 :metal:

bulb

Reaction score
aww thats nice of you to say, but im actually really nervous that i wont do it justice, im really going to have to up my game on this one!

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
bulb said:
aww thats nice of you to say, but im actually really nervous that i wont do it justice, im really going to have to up my game on this one!

well that should push to be a better player for it. :yesway:

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
bulb said:
Trust me dude. You're gonna make the most badass stuff ever on that fucker. :yesway:

bulb

Reaction score
as for the color jesse is going to experiment on some the leftover pieces of the top's wood, but im personally thinking a mix of these two colors with the "deep" look of the first one
for example a mix of these two tops (color wise)

http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-BRIAN-MOORE...384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item270032712666

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N

and im thinking maybe make a very thin whiteburst then and im undecided on what color the surrounding wood should be...
and i was thinking maybe there should be a very thin whiteburst to contrast with the "binding" from that ebony veneer, still undecided about what color the maple body should be tho...

what do you guys think?

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
You live in the DC area? We definately need to meet up at some point for a beer. :cool:

To those of you not near DC: Ha! I get to see it in person! Eat a dick! :fawk:

bulb

Reaction score
haha yeah dude, i live in van ness if that means anything to you, we definitely should dude, and i want to see your KxK dammti haha!

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
bulb said:
haha yeah dude, i live in van ness if that means anything to you, we definitely should dude, and i want to see your KxK dammti haha!

Yeah, I used to work at Fannie Mae, so I know about where you're at. I currently work right near the Capitol building.

You gigging? I'll come check you out. I'll have to drag you out to a show at some point. Then you can check out four different sevens. :D

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
darren said:

:agreed: I got the sense Jeremy finally decided to offer the 27" scale as an option for the 8 and (I believe) 7 largely to get the seven stringers on Jemsite to shut up, and less because he believed it was necessary. Operative word being believed - luthiers seem to be by-and-large unwilling to deviate from 24 3/4 or 25 1/2 unless they absolutely have to, even ones like Jeremy who are otherwise pretty free from the constraints of tradition.

dpm said:
I had the exact same thing happen. Until I heard the clarity of fanned frets first hand I thought the 'clang tone' thing would be barely perceptible - at best. Totally wrong, it's very obvious.

Hmm. Now I'm really intrigued to play one.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Drew said:
Hmm. Now I'm really intrigued to play one.

Do it! Find somewhere/someone that has a fanned fret instrument for you to try and you'll be blown away. The only downside is you may find yourself wanting to sell everything you own for one.

bulb

Reaction score
noodles said:
Yeah, I used to work at Fannie Mae, so I know about where you're at. I currently work right near the Capitol building.

You gigging? I'll come check you out. I'll have to drag you out to a show at some point. Then you can check out four different sevens. :D
yeah man, tho until recently i was on drums, now we have a drummer and he should be up to speed in a couple weeks, so we will be playing some shows then.
Actually when Jeff Loomis last came to town we hung out and he got me and my band some guest passes to the show, so we ALL saw you guys open up for Nevermore! The first thing i noticed was the KxK on your headstock haha!

TheIllustratedLuthier

Luthier than thou
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks for all the nice comments on Misha's project. One thing I wanted to comment on was the structural integrity of the neck. A lot of people don't realize that the joint between wood and wood glue is stronger than the natural grain of wood. So, as long as there's a solid glue joint, the more laminates the stronger! This is a very strong and very.. phallic, headstock. No worries! This glue issue is also a reason why many high end builders use scarf joints to make stronger neck / headstock joints! :)

bulb

Reaction score
OK guys got a WHOLE BUNCH of new awesome pics for you to check out!
This is torture to have to look at these right now....

mishascurve.jpg

mishasjoint.jpg

mishasneckveneer.jpg

mishasfingerboard.jpg

mishastop.jpg

bulb

Reaction score
metalfiend666 said:
Very nice dude, I love the multi layer fretboard.
the fretboard is actually just a solid piece of cocobolo (tho it is a top quality piece that my luthier picked out cuz of the eye and the blonde streak)

Latest posts

')