My 8 string project! CHECK IT OUT!

superstarssjc

Reaction score
Hello All,

My name is Shannon.I currently live in Philly but from Baltimore. I have played 7's for years but seeing all these custom 8's out there, I decided to build my own....I had a few of my questions answered from Jesse Hall(The Illustrated Luthier). this is my first real attempt at guitar building...I just bought the wood and with the use of my dad's wood shop I got to work.

Its Alder body with a AAAA Flamed Maple top. 9pc neck(wenge,purple heart and maple) with a Pau Ferro fretboard will have a wenge veneer on the headstock. 29 inch scale...hipshot bridge, EMG 808 pickup( i like blackouts more but the 808 will have to do for now and soon to have sperzel locking tuners. I still have a crap load of work left to do but I thought you could take a look and let me know what you think Im thinking about staining it a black cherry...almost like a PRS modern eagle finish...since its kinda modeled off of a prs kinda!

the bevel on the body was done by hand with a sander....not a router...would have been easier but i didnt have one at the time!

This is just one to see if I could do It...I plan on making more eventually and using a different design.

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• wood5.jpg
    wood5.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 312
  • wood3.jpg
    wood3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 141
  • wood 4.jpg
    wood 4.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 921
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 108
  • wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 151

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Another TIL fan!:yesway: That build is looking pretty sweet. Don't short change yourself on that lower horn, though. Scoop that bad boy out!

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
looks really interesting :agreed: I ope it won't be neck heavy

superstarssjc

Reaction score
Jesse(TIL) has been a huge help to me...I have thought about carving a bit more out of the bottom horn...I guess when I got it to this point on my first try im a bit scared to go nuts. I did cut a nice chunk out of the back end of the horn.

I thought the neck would be too heavy as well...oddly enough the size and thickness of the body really helps to balance it.

phaeded0ut

droooooneeeeeeeee!
Reaction score
Love the neck on that beastie! Looking forward to seeing the build pictures as they progress.

superstarssjc

Reaction score
I cant wait to finish it... I think this one will be tuned down to E...SUPERLOW!!!

superstarssjc

Reaction score
:agreed: Directly next to each other Wenge & Purpleheart look really weird, but separated like that... the combination rocks :hbang:

I agree with you 100% thats exactly how i designed it for each individual wood to have a space of its own in the neck! goofy little tid bit...the maple in the neck was actually a bowling alley floor that was salvaged by my dad...super straight and rock hard.:hbang:

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
just think of how many balls have been tossed across that maple :lol:

:noplease:

anyways, i know i should read up on guitar building before i go asking too many questions, but is there a specific purpose behind a 9 pc neck? ive only really heard of 3 and 5 pc. i mean it looks GORGEOUS, but what other benefits would there be? are you going with a natural finish or some sort of oil or something else?

im going to check back in this thread frequently. cant wait to see how this turns out! :cool:

superstarssjc

Reaction score
just think of how many balls have been tossed across that maple :lol:

:noplease:

anyways, i know i should read up on guitar building before i go asking too many questions, but is there a specific purpose behind a 9 pc neck? ive only really heard of 3 and 5 pc. i mean it looks GORGEOUS, but what other benefits would there be? are you going with a natural finish or some sort of oil or something else?

im going to check back in this thread frequently. cant wait to see how this turns out! :cool:

There are a few different ways to make a neck. You can do what PRS does and make a 1pc neck but the wood has to be bone dry and be slowly worked to give the wood time to react with out warping. I did a multi pc neck...3,5,7,9. THe only reason mine is 9 is because of the design. I wanted 2 stripes of purple heart running through the neck but this required having maple stripes as well to break up the look of the dark wood. hence 9pcs...when you glue 2 pcs of wood together they are stronger than 1 pcs...mainly to warping... Given that im only using 1 truss rod I wanted a nice strong neck that can hold on its own...with minimal help from the truss rod. by layering the neck each piece helps keep everything dead straight....I would not recommend doing more than 9pcs but I know guys have done way more...in short thats the deal.

I am going to do a natural finish on the neck(oil) I want wood to breathe and not be smothered. The body however will be clear coated to protect the stain that i will be appling...since im modeling it after a PRS modern eagle i will do a satin nitro cellulose lacquer to cover the stain but still allow the wood to breathe.

Thanks for the question and Please do check back!

Latest posts

')