My attempt at copping a Black Dahlia Murder tone with my AxeFx...

biggness

Contributor
Reaction score
and I can't get rid of the pops and clicks. :( I think I may have the wrong kind of cable running into my laptop's line in or something. I have a mono cable, maybe I need a stereo cable. :scratch: Well anyways, I read some interviews with the guys the produced Nocturnal and then applied their knowledge to my AxeFx and it came out pretty convincing, at least I think so. I don't know any BDM songs, so I just made up some random riffs in their vain, with a hint of Necrophagist influence sneaking it's way there. Anyways, thought I would share even though the quality sucks a bit. :lol: Hope you enjoy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

biggness

Contributor
Reaction score
Cool man :yesway: What amp/cab settings did you use???

I used two 5150 models in parallel, both boosted with the ts808mod, the first amp into Recto2 with a sm57, the second one into another Recto2, with no mic but used a PEQ to boost 8k 6db with a Q of 1.675, then joined both rows into one row and applied two filters, one blocking 65hz and another blocking 12k. If you want, I can post the patch. :lol:

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I used two 5150 models in parallel, both boosted with the ts808mod, the first amp into Recto2 with a sm57, the second one into another Recto2, with no mic but used a PEQ to boost 8k 6db with a Q of 1.675, then joined both rows into one row and applied two filters, one blocking 65hz and another blocking 12k. If you want, I can post the patch. :lol:

Amazing the shit you can do with the Axe, nice tone too, very violent.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Running the Recto Red model in parallel with the 5150 might just give you that extra layer of thickness to help nail their tone a bit more. Just a thought. Sounds good though.

biggness

Contributor
Reaction score
Running the Recto Red model in parallel with the 5150 might just give you that extra layer of thickness to help nail their tone a bit more. Just a thought. Sounds good though.

Thanks man. Funny you say that, cause I just discovered the awesomeness of the Recto Red about 2 hours ago. That is one brutal model. Lemme see what I can conjure. :cool:

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Another thought....They're real big on using cabs with K100s, so that inherent upper midrange of the V30 cab sims probably have an effect on your tone as well. You're really making me want to purchase a bunch of the Redwirez to try some stuff out.

biggness

Contributor
Reaction score
The part at 1:06, how did you do that? Nasty fuckin tone by the way.

That's just me grabbing the 5th fret natural harmonic on the G string and dumping it with my trem. That's an inevitable maneuver for anyone that has a trem equipped guitar. :lol::lol:

biggness

Contributor
Reaction score
Another thought....They're real big on using cabs with K100s, so that inherent upper midrange of the V30 cab sims probably have an effect on your tone as well. You're really making me want to purchase a bunch of the Redwirez to try some stuff out.

Yeah they are big on the K100's, but only for live use. Everything they have done in the studio has been with the industry standard Mesa 4x12 with v30's. I researched what they used in the studio(a blend of sm57 and md201) but I can't find any IR's of the Mesa with the md201. If you do get some Redwirez, the Uberkab is must. If I remember correctly, the Uberkab v30t75 capedgeoffaxis 1" with the r121 mic is brutal beyond brutal. I am really considering getting a Mackie HD1531 to see how it fills up a room with my newly crafted tones. :D

Also, here's an informative pic gyazo'd the other day.

2ffb300cb4f29d4636766bfcde43f4be.png

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I'm also shooting for the HD1531. I was going to pick one up until I got a great deal on an MTM1. I'll probably sell an amp or cab soon to get the Mackie. I was thinking about jumping on the Uberkab sim you mentioned and the ENGL Pro cab sim. I think those two would murder babies when paired together.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
i think the pops are because you are using the line in...i got the same noise when i recorded through mine on my laptop

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
Hell yeah man, if you can post some patches, revamped or with the recto red as well, I'd appreciate it!

:hbang:

Thanks!!!!