My Carvin got a Face Lift

• Thread starter kmanick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
A set of BareKnuckles (Cold Sweat(neck) NailBomb(bridge) and an Original Floyd Rose trem) make this a much better guitar than it already was.
the BK's are a bit fuller than what I had in there (stock neck and a Duncan SH-5)
The cold Sweat at the neck just stomps all over the stock PU that was in
there. Sounds like a Duncan 59 neck pu but on steroids, it sings and is nice
and smooth yet still with a touch of that mid "glassy" sound that I love in
neck pu's.
The Nailbomb is a bit of a dissapointment. It sounds very good don't get me
wrong a "HUGE" improvement over the stock pu that was in there initially, but
not really that much different sounding than the Duncan SH-5 that I already had in there.
A little "darker" which is what I wanted but I was expecting,
well I don't know what I was really expecting :scratch:
Worth twice the cost of an SH-5? I need to play with it at some volume (couldn't really blast tonight)
and thru some different amps.
I'll get back to you on that one.
The OFR is a great improvement over the licensed trem that comes with these Carvin 7's.
I love the OFR and if Im going to have a floyd style trem on one of my
guitars I like to have the real thing. Feels smoother and sturdier.

The only negative with putting an OFR on one of these is that the block is
longer on the OFR than it is on the licensed trem so I can't put the back
cover plate back on, the block hits it. (and only by like an 1/8th of an inch).
:wallbash:
I like this guitar with the creme colored pickups but black works for me too. :hbang:
DSCN0908.jpg

DSCN0909.jpg

DSCN0910.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Nice!! :drool:

If you go over to the BKP Forums and read peoples thoughts on the Nailbomb it seems to be a little shocking to a lot of people. It's not as hot or as thick as some people expect it to be. It's really built for articulation under brutal amount of gain. If it just doesn't do it for you. BKP does a 14 day return policy. You could always get something like a Painkiller or a War Pig.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
hmmm??? I didn't try it under "brutal" gain tonight just "moderate" gain, maybe that's what I need to do is crank the gain up ?

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
NICE! as for the back plate problem, just shave off some plastic where the block is touching, I had the same problem when I installed my tremol-no:cool: Or you could just cut out a small rectangle the size of the block out of the cover, just like fender does.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nice! So the OFR is smaller than the Carvin trem, I though it'd require some routing. Good that it doesn't. Could you fit the Carvin trem block to cure the backplate issue?

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Awesome. I've heard good things about barenuckle pickups and that OFR trem must be a real improvement. :metal:

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll take some pics of the back tonight.
The ORF is smaller than the licensed one that was in there , so no routing
was required (thank god)

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
hmmm??? I didn't try it under "brutal" gain tonight just "moderate" gain, maybe that's what I need to do is crank the gain up ?

Mess with your eq settings as well. BKP tend to sound cleaner than a lot of pickups. You might have to tweak your settings a bit.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Well I had about an hour after work before I had to pick up my daughter and I played around with this thing and I found......
Raise the pickups up and they come alive.
I did have to re "EQ" a bit , cut the bass and raise the mids and lower the presence just a touch and now this thing is sounding much better. :hbang:

Mess with your eq settings as well. BKP tend to sound cleaner than a lot of pickups. You might have to tweak your settings a bit.

kanamvar32

Reaction score
looking good nick! nice to finally hear you got your pickups and ofr. if you don't like the NB bridge after tweaking and playing with it a bit more give the Ceramic Warpig a try if you want a real monster. I'm interested in that cold sweat neck so gimme details

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
:woot:

I'm glad it worked out for you. Now go forge some metal. :hbang: :shred:

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I just finished a little jam out.
Man my 5150 luuuuuuuuuuuuvs these pickups.
I think this guitar may sound better thru my 5150 than my JSX.
the cold Sweat is very similar to a Duncan 59. It loves gain :scream:
smooth and glassy when the guitar volume is wide open , roll it back a little and it "thickens" the tone,
pretty cool actually , between my volume/tone and coil tap
I can get a bunch of different neck tones, just by changing things up on my guitar.
the NailBomb sounds much ballsier thru the 5150.
I don't know if it's the guitar or the pickups but they both sound much "fuller" if I roll the guitar volume back to around 8 instead of keeping it wide open. The Nail bomb actually sounds better that way
I ordered a set of KT77's today for my JSX to see if that will "thicken" up the tone a little and still keep some of the El34 growl.
I'm glad I decided to keep my 5150, the JSX has a good "metal"
sound to it but the 5150...................well you guys know, it's a 5150:shred:
Ya either love em or ya hate em, and I love em:hbang:

I
looking good nick! nice to finally hear you got your pickups and ofr. if you don't like the NB bridge after tweaking and playing with it a bit more give the Ceramic Warpig a try if you want a real monster. I'm interested in that cold sweat neck so gimme details

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
Do you have any pictures of the backside?

My first thought was "thats an assman":lol:

And the quilt on that looks like chocolate coffee man. It makes my mouth water (and im not even joking). I would be tempted to try and bite it like homer did with the key to the city.

On a side note, the last thing I tasted on the fact that it smelt good was deodorant. Bad idea, very bad idea.

I don't know if it's the guitar or the pickups but they both sound much "fuller" if I roll the guitar volume back to around 8 instead of keeping it wide open. The Nail bomb actually sounds better that way

Potentiometers will eat the top end of the signal when you roll it back, so that is probably what you are hearing.

')