My Carvin Neck-through build

• Thread starter mili9152
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mili9152

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm really excited because this is my first custom build :) Here we go!

A few sketches:

WP_000369.jpg

WP_000370.jpg

WP_000371.jpg

I ordered Carvin's NT6 neck-through blank. 24 frets, Ebony fretboard, no inlays.

Mock-up. Hipshot bridge, SD '59 hot rail in the neck and SD Full Shred or Distortion in the bridge:

01.jpg

Sept 2nd Progress. Headstock carved and walnut wings glued and clamped:

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Sept 9th Progress. Body carved and roughly sanded. Heel rasped:

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Spell

Reaction score
I think this is going to turn out nicely. Kudos on the original shape (and the no inlays).

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
keep at it, take your time, and it should come out really well ;)

EpicFlail

Reaction score
I actually went into a Carvin store the other day asking about neck through blanks. I was positive they sold them, but the guy working there was adamant that they only sold bolt on 6-string necks. No neck throughs, no 7 or 8-string options either. :scratch:

Back on topic: I love that body wood. I've always liked dark wings with a light-colored neck running through it.

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
I actually went into a Carvin store the other day asking about neck through blanks. I was positive they sold them, but the guy working there was adamant that they only sold bolt on 6-string necks. No neck throughs, no 7 or 8-string options either. :scratch:

Back on topic: I love that body wood. I've always liked dark wings with a light-colored neck running through it.

You can order them from the web site in 7 or 8 string (or bass) with your choice of woods. They even sell 5 piece through necks.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
^Yeah, and I think they allow you to choose a bunch of the regular options as well. Sadly scale and radius are fixed at 25" and 12" radius, which will probably turn a lot of the 27"-and-above crowd off.

mili9152

Reaction score
Yes, routers are nice and so are drill presses. But I don't trust power tools and would prefer to do as much as possible by hand.

mili9152

Reaction score
Done for the day. Two more holes left; one for the input jack and one for the neck pickup leads.

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

Fluxx

Reaction score
I'm gettin the itch lookin at your build, for sure. What brand is that cool sander setup? It looks like you could pretty much do an entire guitar on that sander, horn contours and all.

mili9152

Reaction score
I'm gettin the itch lookin at your build, for sure. What brand is that cool sander setup? It looks like you could pretty much do an entire guitar on that sander, horn contours and all.

The orbital belt sander is made by Ridgid - unfortunately, it's not mine...

Jason Spell

Reaction score
Yes, routers are nice and so are drill presses. But I don't trust power tools and would prefer to do as much as possible by hand.

I saw this quote before the pics loaded in my browser, and I was expecting a nightmare. Your guitar is turning out great! You have a ton of patience, and your guitar will reflect the hours you put into it.

mili9152

Reaction score
Have been lazy with pictures and updates. But finished up this past weekend. Definitely has its imperfections, but I'm happy with it:

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

Finally had some time to apply the Minwax. It's been getting dark here so early that I had very little daylight after returning home from work:

62a.jpg

mili9152

Reaction score
And finally fully assembled and electronics soldered! Still needs strap knobs and a cavity cover though. Has a really interesting sound with the sh-10b and shr-1 combo. I'll try to upload some clips soon.

62b.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

Latest posts

')