My Carvin Neck-through build

• Thread starter mili9152
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mili9152

Reaction score
Yes, I really like the neck shape so far! These are quality necks. This is my first Carvin and I was very excited to finally try one out. I tend to prefer chunkier necks, but this feels a bit on the thinner side, but not close to Ibanez wizards. Not as thick as my Steinberger Spirit, and I would say maybe slightly thicker than my Jackson.

It has a 25" scale length and 12" radius. I could see myself buying another in the near future!

DTSH

Reaction score
Amazing work, especially considering the amount done with hand-tools. Kind of reminds me of a Soloway, shape-wise. Very cool and inspiring!

mili9152

Reaction score
Amazing work, especially considering the amount done with hand-tools. Kind of reminds me of a Soloway, shape-wise. Very cool and inspiring!

I haven't really heard of Soloway, but thanks for the kind words!

AwDeOh

Reaction score
tumblr_lxpa5jhsUX1qad6x9.jpg

Playing: 10/10
Building that thing by hand (rather than "by hand*"): Over 9000/10

Gregori

Reaction score
Whoa, nice dude! Very cool to see someone use chisels instead of a router.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Dude. Chisels.

So awesome.

You are now officially the honorary president of the cave-man guitar builders club.

My sabre-tooth tiger skin hat, to you, sir, is off.

BillNephew

Reaction score
I have a quick question. Where did you get the longer drill bit for routing the neck pickup leads? Also, that chisel work is godly.

mili9152

Reaction score
I have a quick question. Where did you get the longer drill bit for routing the neck pickup leads? Also, that chisel work is godly.

I bought the long drill bit from a local ACE hardware store. I also bought an equally long one from a recycling center here called Urban Ore. I ended up using the 1/8" if I recall correctly.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Hope to start another build in the near future :)

Gregori

Reaction score
Here's how she sounds w/ some riffs from my upcoming solo album :)

What do you think of her tone w/ the SD Full Shred?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16886096/Guitars old new.mp3
No clips of the neck pickup?

You asked, so I'll give my opinion. I hate the tone of that sound clip. Too bright and not enough balls. To each his own though.

The guitar looks pretty sweet though. I didn't even know Carvin sold neck-thru blanks. Seems like more people should be trying them out instead of buying used Ibby necks and strat replacement necks.

mili9152

Reaction score
No clips of the neck pickup?

You asked, so I'll give my opinion. I hate the tone of that sound clip. Too bright and not enough balls. To each his own though.

The guitar looks pretty sweet though. I didn't even know Carvin sold neck-thru blanks. Seems like more people should be trying them out instead of buying used Ibby necks and strat replacement necks.

I appreciate the honesty - I've never had much of an ear for guitar tones which is why I asked your opinions. I do generally prefer brighter tones though.

One thing to note about Carvin necks as a neck replacement is that they don't offer 24 fret bolt-ons. I went into their store in Hollywood and asked a rep about it.

AwDeOh

Reaction score
I'm with Gregori a little on the tone, but that's just the Full Shred doing what it does. It's got that 5150 kinda fuzz that sounds good in a Killswitch Engage mix, but usually not by itself.

It's all about personal preference though :)

Latest posts

')