My contributions for a band name, please vote!

• Thread starter budda
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which of these do you prefer for a band name?

• Total voters

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I was listening to August Burns Red for the first time (I've only heard "Carol of the Bells til now), and I was inspired to come up with some band names. I also need to buy Constellations!

Sound: Tech/Melodic/Southern metal. Current agreed name: Under The Gun.

Here are the ideas I've come up with:
Anatomy of Deceit
Truth or Terror
From Silence To Arms
Conquer The King

I personally like Anatomy of Deceit and From Silence To Arms the most. I'd like some feedback from the community, as I value what you guys think!

Thanks for voting :metal:

Justin

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I chose Anatomy of Deceit. Conquer The King would be appropriate albeit generic if you were a Death Metal band, but Anatomy means to cut apart, which denotes attention to detail as is frequently heard in Tech Metal music.

Plus Deceit is a cool word! There's a song on our album called Columns of Deceit, it's so epic every time I think about the break my head explodes :scream:

The other two aren't very good names IMO.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Truth or Terror is my favorite by far. IMO Anatomy of Deceit and From Silence To Arms are too long and hard to remember and Conquer The King just doesn't sound good (too reminiscent of Rainbow's "Kill The King").

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I like the word "Deconstruct" but our singer was like "that's already a band" - but it sounds so cool haha.

I agree about the length thing as well.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
There are bands out there with really long names and it never stopped them getting big :shrug:

Just ask The Dillinger Escape Plan, Through The Eyes Of The Dead, Between The Buried And Me, The Black Dahlia Murder and For The Fallen Dreams :lol:

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Well, they're all better than 'The Willie Aames Swim Meet Lanes' or some similar garbage :squint:, but I guess 'Truth Or Terror' is the best... how how about combining two to get 'From Truth To Terror'. :cool:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, From Truth To Terror, I dig! Thanks Ryan :yesway:

_detox

lurkin'.
Reaction score
From Truth to Terror or From Silence to Arms are my vote. The others just kind of sound like cool words thrown together. From Silence to Arms definitely has the most meaning to it imo.

Koshchei

Banned
Reaction score
Those names sound like something from an old Rainbow album. If you want a really poignant and br00tal name, call your band "Holodomor". It encompasses the context of your choices without sounding like an emo kid trying to write poetry with MS Word's thesaurus. The only downside is that Ukrainians might not go to your shows if you try to sell it as anything other than an atrocity equalling the Holocaust in sheer scale and ruthlessness.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't listen to Rainbow :lol:.

what about "From Truth"

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
To be honest, i'm not crazy about any of them. Not trying to be mean, just trying to be helpful. I'm sort of judging the book by its cover, i know, but if i saw a flyer with those names listed i probably wouldn't go to the show. The thing is, they all have a catchy kind of "ring" to them but at the same time are pretty generic. Of the ones listed, I'd say i prefer From Silence to Arms. Also i think almost any of those names would be an improvement over Under the Gun.

I'd also like to suggest that if any of those names you listed have a special meaning to you/your band mates, experiment with different synonyms and come up with a few variations on some of your favourite names. For example (although a pretty bad example i must admit :lol:):

Under the gun -> seconds left -> desparate measures -> sword of damaclese -> etc

This can be a pretty good brainstorming exercise because, even as my crap example illustrates, it can help generate synonyms and even slowly branch out into new areas. This can also be fun to do as a group, a good way to avoid famous band conflicts caused by one or two members thinking that it is their band since it was them who insisted they use the name.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I like the synonym idea, much appreciated alex! our other guitarist came up with names by "putting badass words into thesaurus.com" :lol:

I really want a name that gets your attention and is memorable, and isn't entirely self explanitory. I want it to be catchy as well as thought-provoking, and indicative of the genre.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
They're all better than Under the Gun. I say take Variant's advice and do 'From Truth to Terror' :yesway:

etiam

Reaction score
Indicative of the genre can be kind of condemning, in some instance. I think a lot of people are worn out on the preposition-heavy titles that include words like, 'king', 'hope', 'hero(es)', 'theory', 'rise', and all the rest. I agree that simpler is better.

So, of those listed, 'Silence to Arms' seems like the best way to go, without the 'from'.

Vstro

Reaction score
I like truth or terror..

A change of name is probably for the best seeing how there's Underneath the gun already. There could be some annoying confusion.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, guys :)

I had a suggestion of "Terror of Truth" - I like that one. and we'd fall right under terrorhorse on your iTunes ;)

')