My Custom Axe, and a Question

• Thread starter Slunk Dragon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
I know a couple folks were interested in seeing my guitar, so here it is!

rmuqnd.jpg

r9e7av.jpg

Yes, that's a Godzilla sticker on the headstock, it's flair :p
28mmpus.jpg

Specs:
All mahogany hollowbody (soundhole on the side) with maple neck & ebony fretboard
Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro in the neck and Pearly Gates in the bridge
Volume and Tone knobs
5-way toggle switch, set up like a PRS (bridge, two outer coils, both pickups, two inner coils, neck)
Red killswitch (cuts out the sound when pressed, look up Buckethead :hbang: )

This guitar is the first project result of me and my dad experimenting with guitars. We made the body, the neck is from Steward Macdonald, as my dad doesn't like doing the necks (even though he works fulltime as a carpenter, but I digress). My dad loves the Telecaster guitar shape, as he's made several bodies before and after this one in this shape that are hollowbodies. They sound great acoustically and mine especially sounds incredible plugged in, although it's got a little something unique to it.
It's weighted pretty evenly on its own, but I like playing in a more upright position, and of course I was constantly fighting this guitar to keep it upright, so what was the solution that we figured out? Put some fishing weights together behind the block of wood that's in it for the bridge and seal it in with spray foam, the kind you use to seal windows. Sounds a bit off the wall, but it's produced the strangest result: the guitar sounds NOTICEABLY brighter when it's plugged in, like easily 20-30% more. And combined with the pickups in it, I've had to constantly lower the treble on my amp just to not destroy my own hearing. Gotta save those touchy eardrums of mine.
Why it does this, I have not been able to figure out. My guitar teacher, a very intelligent dude whom I've been taking lessons from for several years, was also baffled by my guitar's extremely bright sound. It practically sounds like I have EMGs in my guitar there's so much treble to it! Anyone have any guesses as to why it's doing that? I mean to me, I'd think that filling up part of the guitar cavity with something not extremely dense wouldn't do much of anything, but it's done the adverse.
Also any other comments are extremely appreciated! :metal:

We're working on a second guitar for me as well, another 6-string that will be a solid body with lots of awesome technical things as well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
I bet that Headstock will open a ton of beers. ;)

get rid of that ugly ass kill switch and find something that goes a little better with the top and I personally think you've got a winner. great top!

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
I bet that Headstock will open a ton of beers. ;)

get rid of that ugly ass kill switch and find something that goes a little better with the top and I personally think you've got a winner. great top!

When I turn 21 I'll use it to open a beer for myself. xD

Yeah, the killswitch is really weird, but it's hard to find one that'll go with the top. Thank you for the comment! We were going to put a piece of average mahogany on it, but then we found this and we totally wanted to put it on! Definitely makes it look stunning.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Stupidly cool top.

There's any number of button types you could use dude. :lol:
Line the inside of that headstock with metal so you actually can open beer with it. Seriously.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
When I turn 21 I'll use it to open a beer for myself. xD

Yeah, the killswitch is really weird, but it's hard to find one that'll go with the top. Thank you for the comment! We were going to put a piece of average mahogany on it, but then we found this and we totally wanted to put it on! Definitely makes it look stunning.

I think if you google 'tamper proof switch' and find the right logic you can get a nice metal one. Darren here pointed me at something like that. They require a fairly large hole but look great.

Otherwise great axe, go play some crab core and open some beers :lol:

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
How did you get mahogany to look like that‽

It's what's called a piece of "crotch mahogany" (choice names, carpenters and woodworkers give things). It's basically from the part of a tree where two branches split off. My dad just happened to have found the piece one day while at the shop, so he took it and stored it in his garage, and he eventually found it again while looking in there for something to put on the top of my guitar. We then used a very, very careful process of cutting it in half so you have it matching, and presto! Fancy guitar top! To be honest this is the only piece of mahogany I've ever seen that I'd consider "flame mahogany". Not a term I think I've ever read before either, quite funny when you hear it though.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
The body looks awesome, the headstock not so much. Either way, I bet she sounds great!

Make with the clips.

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
I think if you google 'tamper proof switch' and find the right logic you can get a nice metal one. Darren here pointed me at something like that. They require a fairly large hole but look great.

Otherwise great axe, go play some crab core and open some beers :lol:

Imma go turn my amp up to 12 and turn the distortion so high, all my notes will sound the same. So much crap core!:shred:

engage757

Banned
Reaction score
yeah dude. Not sure on the headstock design either, but god damn that is one bad ass tele. Definitely change the killswitch and design a new headstock and you will have one of the best Teles I have ever seen!

XylemBassGuitar

Owner, Xylem Guitars
Reaction score
You and your dad did a kick-ass job! The bookmatch on the top is really beautiful and I love the headstock design.

Does the killswitch create that "click" sound through the amp at all when you press it? How did you guys install the killswitch?

Beautiful work, can't wait to see the next one!

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
You and your dad did a kick-ass job! The bookmatch on the top is really beautiful and I love the headstock design.

Does the killswitch create that "click" sound through the amp at all when you press it? How did you guys install the killswitch?

Beautiful work, can't wait to see the next one!

Yeah, sadly the killswitch has that "click" sound because of the sudden changes in volume with using it. Not sure how it's muted or whatever, I'm sure there's a way to do it. We installed it just by hooking up the two prongs to wires that connect to the output jack. It works somehow! :cool:

Reaction score
Looks killer bro! Kill-switch looks like kinda dumb TO ME, personally. But it's not my guitar! Good share! Love it.

XylemBassGuitar

Owner, Xylem Guitars
Reaction score
Looks killer bro! Kill-switch looks like kinda dumb TO ME, personally. But it's not my guitar! Good share! Love it.

It's pretty tough to find a good killswitch, especially a good looking killswitch.

By the way SlunkDragon, you might check Mouser.com if you care about the looks of the switch, they have a pretty wide variety of nice momentary switches to choose from.

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
It's pretty tough to find a good killswitch, especially a good looking killswitch.

By the way SlunkDragon, you might check Mouser.com if you care about the looks of the switch, they have a pretty wide variety of nice momentary switches to choose from.

Holy crap, they have a huge selection of switches there! It'll take me some looking, but I think I'll find what I need, maybe. Unfortunately there isn't a selection for "make it look pretty". XP

Reaction score
Nice guitar! I'm loving the grain.

I was never a fan of those style killswitches,though.

This thread is now about killswitches.
(here is mine.)
fe3ca19b.jpg

')