My Custom KXK 7 String Guitar Build Progress

• Thread starter DaveZ
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
reminds me of Piotr's (From the band Vader) Flying V but in a 7 string versoin

DaveZ

Reaction score
Thanks. Update - Fretboard and inlays are installed. http://www.zatuchney.com/kxk

Two questions - Should I stay with the black w/silver bevel paint job, or keep it unpainted? Also, I have never used EMG's in a 7 string. I was going with the 707 for the bridge and the 81-7 for the neck, but wasn't sure if this was the best location or if they should be reversed.

Dave Z

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
DaveZ said:
Should I stay with the black w/silver bevel paint job, or keep it unpainted? Also, I have never used EMG's in a 7 string. I was going with the 707 for the bridge and the 81-7 for the neck, but wasn't sure if this was the best location or if they should be reversed.

27" scale - Sweeet! Personally I think the black with silver bevel is hotter looking. Can I ask you something... maybe you know, with neck through body guitars are the sides just glued on only or do they use anything else with the glue (like wooden pegs or something) to hold it together?

Rev.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
DaveZ said:
Thanks. Update - Fretboard and inlays are installed. http://www.zatuchney.com/kxk

Two questions - Should I stay with the black w/silver bevel paint job, or keep it unpainted? Also, I have never used EMG's in a 7 string. I was going with the 707 for the bridge and the 81-7 for the neck, but wasn't sure if this was the best location or if they should be reversed.

Dave Z

From what I've heard, it'd probably be better to use the 81-7 in the bridge and the 707 in the neck.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
personally, i think this color scheme would be cool:

Attachments

• spaulo5.jpg
    spaulo5.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 144

jtm45

Reaction score
It sounds (and looks)very cool but there's a couple of things that caught my attention.
You specified a Floyd Rose but then it says 'brass nut'. Surely you'll need to use a Floyd or Ibanez locking-nut ?
If you're thinking that by using locking tuners you won't need a locking-nut then i'd think again.
Unless you're particularly gentle on your trem the strings aren't gonna' stay in tune. The strings won't travel over the nut freely enough, especially if it's a brass one. If the strings ran perfectly straight over the nut to the tuners without any change in angle then it might stand a bit of a chance but my guess is that it'll be a major pain in the ass.

The second thing is the 10" fretboard radius. That's quite a curved radius especially with the extra width of the 7 string neck. I believe most Ibanez 7's have more like a 16" radius.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
maybe it'll have a string lock behind the nut a la Kahler?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Screw binding, you dive with a Floyd and no nut, your strings will fall right off the nut. :lol:

I missed that too, but you NEED some kind of a locking nut with a Floyd, simply for string retention.

-Drew

DaveZ

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the feedback and advice. I was going to go with black and red, but decided black and silver might be better looking.

As for the EMG's, maybe I will stick the 81-7 in the bridge since all of my other six string guitars have 81's in the bridge and I like that sound.

Neck Radius - I really have no preference and don't know if I will be able to tell the difference. I loved the way my rg770 played, and also love the way my strat plays and I'm pretty sure their necks and radius are different. I guess the floyd he is using is designed for a 10" radius.

I thought I could get away with no locking nut and use locking tuners with a floyd, since my Petrucci seven string has a floating bridge and locking tuners and stays in tune fairly well. Do you guys really think I should go with a locking nut setup? I have floyds on my other guitars, so I am used to dealing with the locking nut hassles....

Thanks again.

Dave Z

jtm45

Reaction score
I haven't played a Petrucci but from what i hear the trem hasn't got the same kinda' range as a Floyd.
Like Drew said, when you do a good dive with an Edge or a Floyd the strings go slack enough that they could come right out of the nut ( a non-locking nut that is)and even if you go easy with it the combination of a brass nut and any angle from the nut to the tuners will cause the strings to bind in the nut.

So basically you will definitely need a locking-nut.

DaveZ

Reaction score
jtm45 said:
I haven't played a Petrucci but from what i hear the trem hasn't got the same kinda' range as a Floyd.
Like Drew said, when you do a good dive with an Edge or a Floyd the strings go slack enough that they could come right out of the nut ( a non-locking nut that is)and even if you go easy with it the combination of a brass nut and any angle from the nut to the tuners will cause the strings to bind in the nut.

Thanks for the help. I asked to have a locking nut installed, and I think the luthier will be able to do this for me.

Dave Z

Shaman

Reaction score
Man, that V will be a beast!

I can't wait to see the finished product. Congrats :)

terrorsound

Reaction score
jtm45 said:

good topic!!! I asked my builder the same thing, even though I will
be using LSR locking tuners and 13 degree headstocks, a divebomb from a floyd would definately slip
the strings off a regular nut I would think.. This will help me out too, big thanks for the info.

jtm45

Reaction score
terrorsound said:
good topic!!! I asked my builder the same thing, even though I will
be using LSR locking tuners and 13 degree headstocks, a divebomb from a floyd would definately slip
the strings off a regular nut I would think.. This will help me out too, big thanks for the info.

No problem!
Glad i could be of some help.

Can't wait to see the guitar finished, it should be killer !

Latest posts

')