My Custom KXK 7 String Guitar Build Progress

• Thread starter DaveZ
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sentient

Metal Dog
Contributor
Reaction score
That's really cool, seeing the start to finish process through pictures like that. Thanks for sharing. You've got a great looking guitar, dude. Enjoy the hell out of it.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Is it me, or do guitars look odd when neck binding isn't continued up to the headstock? I think having silver edges on the headstock would help tie it in better to the rest of the guitar's design. Pretty radical V, though... it looks huge, but still well-proportioned.

frank falbo

Reaction score
Nah on this guitar I disagree. The big locknut and the truss rod cover make a clear defined boundary for the binding. To continue it would be more awkward because it would be a lot lower physically, and have to taper into the neck binding. On a Jackson or other 6 in line it looks okay, but on a near symmetrical headstock like that I think it's better without. I mean the binding would basically stop at the lock nut either way. The head doesn't have bevels, so the silver's out too, unless they put bevels on there. But I don't think I'd like the bevels on that headstock anyway. But with all the black and silver it's more apparent that the only color on the whole guitar is the Rosewood fretboard. So yeah, I would have done Ebony, or even the more subdued grey-brown color of Pao Ferro. But overall it's a great looking guitar.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
That is really coming out nice. I like how the bevels on the body are only on the outside, not the inside. It gives it a really unique look. We're going to have to compare notes when our guitars get here.

DaveZ

Reaction score
Guitar is done. Plays great, I'm very happy with it. I have to get used to the 27" scale length, but that's not a big deal.

Pics HERE

Videos HERE

Dave Z

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
...God damn that thing is sexy as fuck. :metal: I've never really played many V's, how's upper fret access? does the body get in the way at all, in comparison to something like an RG7?

DaveZ

Reaction score
JJ Rodriguez said:
...God damn that thing is sexy as fuck. :metal: I've never really played many V's, how's upper fret access? does the body get in the way at all, in comparison to something like an RG7?
Hello. The uper fret access is perfect, no problems getting all the way to the 24th fret. I had a lot of discussion with Rob about the placement of the p/u switch location, and to me this is in the perfect place as well. I never owned a V, so it's a little difficult playing it sitting down, but that might be because this guitar is just massive in size. Take care.

Dave Z

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Dave, that looks KILLER! Congrats! I just with it had a 4+3 headstock. It just seems like that would fit the symmetrical look of a V. Overall, it appears that KXK does immaculate work!

Also guys, check out his videos for "God's Lonely Man." Dave's a fantastic player.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
That looks sweet as hell, Dave. Sounds good, too. Hopefully this means mine is right around the corner. :hbang:

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Good gods, man, do you have to be 8 ft. tall to play that thing?? That's the biggest guitar I've ever seen!

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
looks sick, congrats! Took a little while for them to build it didn't it?

DaveZ

Reaction score
Hello. I placed the order in May and received it in December. Time was never a concern for me, and I told Rob(the builder) to take his time with it.

The guitar is HUGE.... I'm 6'1", and it makes me look like Angus Young when I play it... :lol:

Thanks again for all of the positive feedback.

Dave

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
That's tasty as hell! I want one now, and the good thing about V's is that I probably wouldn't get clobbered any extra for a lefty since the body is symmetrical and only the knobs and bridge have to be the 'other' way around. :shred: :hbang:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you read up just a little bit, you'll see that Dave took delivery of it in December, and his site has pics of the finished piece.

')