My custom neckthrough 6-string with half-and-half Maple/Ebony fretboard

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I posted a picture of myself playing live in another thread and was asked to show more pictures of the guitar I was using at that gig.

So here it is - a custom 6-string built by the German luthier Rainer Tausch. The body shape resembles shapes like Ibanez RG, Jackson Soloist, Kramer Stagemaster Standard or ESP M-II. The reverse headstock is clearly inspired by ESP, but more about that later. HH pickup configuration in chrome bezels, along with a chrome Floyd Rose complete the classic body look.

When I created the concept, I wanted to combine several fascinating aspects in one guitar:

• Neck-through construction: Just like the 80's high-tech superstrats e.g. from Jackson or Kramer, the Ibanez Proline PL2550 or - more recent - the Ibanez Prestige RGT. The playability is second to none, of course mostly due to the smooth neck-body connection.
  • Pau Ferro neck wood: Also known as Santos Rosewood. Hard, stable, dark and very pretty, kind of an "haute couture" wood and almost a best seller offered by many boutique guitar makers nowadays. I had to jump on the bandwagon here and run with the pack.
  • Sound chambers: A nice "undercover" feature, not so much for weight reasons, but for tone. For example, my MAXXAS MX3 with the semi-hollow body excites me with its quick response and overtone richness. The Swamp Ash body wings are partly hollowed out and then glued to the center piece (which is actually the neck).
  • Seymour Duncan P-Rails: These are supposed to provide the flexibility to have a chunky single-coil, a genuine P90 and a humbucking tone in one pickup. The pickups are controlled by an Eyb Megaswitch E. Thus, I am able to have (a) both humbucking sounds, (b) both P90 sounds and (c) one additional setting that combines the two soapbar coils. Thus, I "sacrifice" the pure single-coil tone but I'd rather have my well-known 5-way lever switch instead of two 3-way mini switches.
  • Ibanez EDGE Floyd Rose Trem: Still one of the best Floyd Rose incarnations out there. For this guitar, I replaced the cast iron block with a massive brass block (a neat aftermarket modification).
  • Split Fretboard: I first saw this exclusive idea in a 1994 magazine review of a Neil Moser custom guitar and it fascinated me ever since. One half of the fretboard is Flame Maple and the other is Ebony. This gives a great contrast, also because the Maple extends to the headstock overlay! I got in touch with Neil Moser and Lee Garver beforehand and asked about possible pitfalls with this construction, and they pretty much gave their thumbs up signal and made me to go for it.
  • Reverse Headstock: I just dig the strong shape of the reverse ESP headstock. First I had the Lâg headstock shape in mind, because it's a little rounder yet much smaller than the Kramer headstock, but I finally went for something that doesn't look like a shoe, a hockey stick or a banana - and ended up with ESP reverse which I think is awesome. Plus, this sets the guitar apart from the overall Ibanez-related appearance.
  • High Contrast Finish: The finish on back and sides is clear high gloss. The top is finished in a high-gloss black opaque finish. Together with the split fretboard it creates a high contrast "light and dark" appearance. This idea is also continued with the unique hardware mix (chrome for body and black for headstock).

But I would say I let the pictures speak for themselves.

IMG_0138_kleiner.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

s4tch

Reaction score
I remember some of your posts. First the Artfield, then the MX series, and finally this - sir, you have an impeccable taste in guitars.

Jzbass25

Reaction score
Nice guitar, that route seems tiny for that edge though! Also what kind of nut is that, is the retainer built into it or something? (I think I read fender patent on the front of it)

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
That is gorgeous!!! I love the split fretboard:wub3:

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
Nice guitar, that route seems tiny for that edge though! Also what kind of nut is that, is the retainer built into it or something? (I think I read fender patent on the front of it)

The route is extra small because it is done in two parts; for the block and for the arm holder:

oap4-15.jpg

The spring cavity is the same width as the neck centerpiece.

oap4-14.jpg

The nut is made by Kahler (I think it's out of production today???) and it has an integrated string retainer and slightly smaller pressure pads than a Schaller or Ibanez nut.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow, that's very nice! You have spectacular taste in guitars!

The fretboard reminds me of this:

JoeyAllenDual.jpg

The only thing that would cause me a LITTLE bit of concern is the seam of the fretboard going right over the truss rod. I'd be a little worried about that potentially splitting if you dial in a bit of tension on the rod.

larry

". . . . . . . ."
Reaction score
:drool: it is gorgeous.. i'd also be a bit worried about Darren's point.

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
Wow, that's very nice! You have spectacular taste in guitars!

The fretboard reminds me of this:

JoeyAllenDual.jpg

The only thing that would cause me a LITTLE bit of concern is the seam of the fretboard going right over the truss rod. I'd be a little worried about that potentially splitting if you dial in a bit of tension on the rod.

Whoa, Joey Allen had EVERYTHING back then. :eek:

As for the truss rod, I don't think this is a problem since the rod itself is encased in some sort of rectangular tube. It's the same construction as used in this guitar (that I yet have to present. :D)

050523_Halsstab.jpg

c0n0r

Reaction score
Really cool idea with the fretboard! I like it! HNGD!

')