My Custom RGA7MOL

dtrax

Reaction score
For those of you that saw Adam's (Elysian) thread on concurrent RGA7 bodies, here's the finished product for the all-mahogany RGA7. The neck was taken from my RG7321, as was the bridge plate and volume knob. Parts that were replaced were:

Graphtech string savor saddles
1meg volume pot
barrel output jack

I also used the Evo7 that I installed a few months ago.

I did buy a Graphtech 7 string Black Tusq nut but I'm still debating replacing the old one. I may hold onto it for a future custom neck.

Anyways, here's the pics.

PA070712.jpg

PA070713.jpg

PA070711.jpg

I figure this is a good time to give a preliminary review. Currently, I haven't finished wiring it up, so I won't comment on sound, although I'm sure it sounds killer.

First, a few caveats. The neck mounting holes and 4 of the 6 bridge mounting holes did not line up. This is apparently due to slight design differences between a 7321 and 7421 – which was the body Adam used to create the template. This is not meant to be a shot at Adam at all (I've already discussed this with him), but only to let people know that the 2 models are not compatible. Obviously I wish I'd known (never occurred to me to even inquire, honestly), but I was able to get the guitar together relatively painlessly. I had to refill and redrill the neck mounting holes. I was originally going to give it to my dad to do, whom has a drill press, but he lives in the Poconos (3 hours away) and I wasn't going to get up to him for about 2 weeks. So, growing impatient, I decided to drill the holes free hand. It actually turned out really well. The neck fits very nicely. As for the bridge, it's secured with 2 screws holding it in place. I may in the future refill/redrill those holes too, but that's only a minor point.

Ok, on to the good shit. The grain of African Mahogany is simply gorgeous, and the oil finish Adam applied only enhances the beauty. It has a bit of gloss, but not overly so. The pics don't do it justice (plus I suck ass at photography).

The archtop is pretty similar to Ibby's. It seems a bit less deep or something, but very nice. And the fact that Adam carved it by hand (no CNC) makes it that much more betterer.

The AANJ is smooth as fuck. The contouring is great and SO much more classy than the 7321 neck joint.

The coolest, yet most subtle feature is the control cavity route. It's a hole just big enough to fit 1 volume pot. I really dig the fact Adam routed away the least amount of wood as possible. Also, it's got a UV style output jack, which is just sleek as shit.

The PU cavity is very snug (a good thing!) and Adam even drilled the PU mounting holes. They lined up perfectly.

Overall, I'd give it a 9/10. I'm extremely pleased this body and can't wait to get it wired up. Thanks again Adam! :shred::metal::hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks amazing dude:hbang:
Can you post some pics of the back?
You mention the AANJ being really smooth, I'd love to see pics of it.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
That neck joint:drool:
Thanks so much for the pics man, cheers:yesway:

FYP666

Kick The Gates Open
Reaction score
Holy SHIT! :yum:

Words can't describe the GAS-attack! :lol: :agreed:

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
That body looks awesome Danny, I can't say that I'm a fan of the binding on the 7321 but that's just personal preference. Congrats :yesway:

Ruins

Reaction score
the issues you have described personally i wouldn't give a shit about because they are not something that are going to interfere with the playability any way. the guitar looks bloody gorgeous! personally for me neck pup is missing but even without him its bloody gorgeous.
looking forward to hear some clean and distorted clips! :metal:

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Can I ask how much the bodies cost?

something like dan's would run you 400.

glad you got it all together dan, that thing looks great. if you decide to have me replace the fretboard, i'll make the neck heel match the neck pocket too.

dtrax

Reaction score
the issues you have described personally i wouldn't give a shit about because they are not something that are going to interfere with the playability any way. the guitar looks bloody gorgeous!

Definitely. They were small oversights that neither Adam or I were aware of. It's totally cool. Adam's work is very very good.

Elysian said:
if you decide to have me replace the fretboard, i'll make the neck heel match the neck pocket too.

:yesway:
Yea, at first I thought I fucked up and didn't put the neck into the pocket far enough. But I guess that's yet another design difference. Boy, what a learning experience...

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Very nice! Clean, simple and elegant. Great work, Adam!

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
that is one sick looking RGA7! at first look it kinda looks like one of the older S7s but the mahognay has much nicer figure.

out of curiosity, and my apologies for going off topic, what would an RGA7 out of alder cost with the same routing(correcting it for the 7321 compnents of course)?

')