My E.P. 'Unfinity' to be Released 7/7/13!

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lawizeg

Reaction score
I agree with the Muse bit. I don't listen to Meshuggah though, so I'd say the big low notes also remind me of TesseracT, but only a little.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
You can definitely hear Rook's influences in his playing. But, he's totally developed his own style with it. Very fun to listen to. Great to hear something difference, original and awesome! :hbang:

ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
I sense Meshuggah and Animals As Leaders influences all over the place, and I dig it. Hard. The influences are there, but it doesn't sound like an imitation of them at all, sounds very unique tone wise.

Seriously, this is amazing work. Everything feels very balanced and very well executed. ....ing fantastic job with this, it's easy to tell you enjoyed writing and playing this stuff, it really shows.

Right around the 3:05 mark in Everything is Mostly Nothing Part 1 is one of my favourite parts of the entire ep. And Part 2 is equally as amazing. The intro is just perfect, and the snare tone in it is one of my favourites I've heard in a while.

Keep this up man.

Once I get online purchase capabilities I'll be sure to buy it.

Kudos. Can't wait to hear more of your stuff.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
You guys are the best, seriously, so very kind. Can't wait to share more with you in the future.

Writing for my next release starts TUESDAY :D More on that when it actually exists...

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
HOLY SHIT this rules so hard. Seriously even better than I hoped, and I thought it'd be pretty great to start. Some of the low notes like in Is and EIMN Pt. 2 had me grinning like an idiot. This is definitely very well executed, unique, and VERY inspiring. The second I finished listening I wanted to go grab my guitar and attempt to make something even a fraction as interesting.

Keep it up man, I eagerly look forward to the next release! :yesway:

Heroin

I am wombat
Reaction score
dude, f-ucking amazing. I love it. great work.

edit:
I love how everything flows so well together and there's just a perfect amount of everything. the C# is heavy as .... too :hbang:, I love that part; and how the little groove at the beginning is used throughout the tracks. my favourite track would have to be everything is mostly nothing part 1.

DavidLopezJr

Reaction score
Man this sounds great and refreshing. Very unique blend of many taste, great work man :yesway:

So what are you tuned to for this? I know you said earlier in this thread there's a low C#

mcd

stuff and thangs
Reaction score
WOW! just WOW! i really enjoyed every second of that. You sir write some great tasty jams!

Tommy

Terribly Unlucky
Reaction score
Incredible!

I've waited so long for this. You do phenomenal things. Keep it up!

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
Listened to this for like 5 League of legends matchs so like 10-15 times over and over nice stuff dude.

Gonna jam this in my car for a fat minute.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
You guys!

I absolutely love that you guys are picking up on the stuff that I was really thinking about when writing this, it's totally awesome.

For the lows my Regius 8 was tuned to drop E, one set of low C's (they're C's, not C#'s, just remembered playing it yesterday) I used the Axe FX 2 pitch shifter as the first thing in my chain and played it live and just pressed bypassed and un-bypassed my pitch shifter using my floor pedal. The other set of C's (I honestly can't remember which!) is my Regius 8 physically tuned down 2 whole tones on the bottom two strings. I'll let you guys decided which one is which :lol:

Nobody's noticed what I thought was a blatant *nod* in the music yet, it's not musical though so I guess you wouldn't really.

Anyway, keep adding me folks, I've had an awesome time meeting loads of new people and talking and hearing people's music and stuff. Compared to the rest of the world it really isn't much but this is living the dream for me hahaha.

Thanks! And keep sharing!

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Pretty good, I normally despise djent and proggy music, but this is awesome.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
That's a bigger compliment to me than you might think :)

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
Great work dude, it's always nice to see more people releasing their own stuff. I'm getting a sort of Animals as Leaders crossed with Muse vibe from some of the tracks, which can never be a bad thing. The thematic continuity is cool as well and is something I like to hear. Looking forward to hearing more from you man! :)

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Great work dude, it's always nice to see more people releasing their own stuff. I'm getting a sort of Animals as Leaders crossed with Muse vibe from some of the tracks, which can never be a bad thing. The thematic continuity is cool as well and is something I like to hear. Looking forward to hearing more from you man! :)

Hey you too man, I always (ALWAYS) keep up with your stuff :)

Thanks!

xfilth

Phrygianist
Reaction score
Heaaaavy! I really like the leads. Awesome sense of timing and melody

I really don't like the drum mix, but that's about the only thing I can put a finger on!

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Dude! That's so cool, I remember writing and recording that, I think I've come a hell of a long way since. Thanks for sticking with me, I'm really glad it lived up to your expectations! :)

Cheers for the kind words :)

As for the drum mix, I went a little out there on that one; I find really roomy, imperfect sounding drums are pretty rare these days in heavier styles but I personally love it and kinda took it a little further than stuff I've heard. It was always going to be a talking point and in all honesty I didn't really expect anyone to receive any of my stuff well let alone getting as far as 'everything but the drums' or similar.

I appreciate you taking the time, thank you all :)

Kroaton

Reaction score
The problem is not with the drum sound, it's with the overall mix. Try listening to it in a treated room or on proper headphones and you will hear what everyone is talking about in an instant.

It's not about the mix aesthetics as you believe it to be, it just does not translate from a device to another and at times it's quite muddy and convoluted.

Btw I crossposted this to /r/djent and someone pointed out something quite funny, that there's a band called Rooks with an E.P called Infinite, out there.

Latest posts

')